Lines you would collect but for the $
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:08 pm 

Another topic that's been rattling around my head: are there any games/series/subsets that you would be interested in collecting, but avoid because the price is too high for one reason or another?

One area I have pretty much given up on is convention exclusives.  It's too hard to know what's out there in the first place, and they tend to sell for a ton on the rare occasions they show up.

A main stream line that I decided probably isn't worth it is MERP.  If you had these before the movies were announced, it wasn't that big a deal, but now everything seems to sell for far more than they "should" be worth, considering how plentiful all the titles are.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:31 pm 

1) Domesday Books   :lol:

2) All of the Pathfinder line (as opposed to just a select few items)

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:11 pm 

MERP.  I've tried several times to get started, but it's just too broad a line with overall prices that seem high across the board.  There never seem to be bargains to jump-start things (eg, kijiji lots, clearance bins), and none of the titles are iconic enough to be must-haves.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:13 pm 

Hey everyone,

I agree with David it's gotta be MERP.
I've probably got around 15 or 16 of the campaign books and modules, but I was lucky in that I purchased them at retail.

I can't even imagine trying to pick up any other ones that I am missing because of the current asking prices.

Best regards,
Ronald

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:58 pm 

Another vote for MERP. I only have few things but I never seem to get around to chasing it. The prices are part of the problem for sure. Not because I think they are insane high...but prices certainly don't seem cheap...but more so because I just don't know if I have the passion for it. I would rather spend my money on my other nonD&D collections: Hero Games, Task Force Games, SPI, Tunnels & Trolls, all micro/pocket/games...hmmm no wonder I don't have loads of cash to chase MERP.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:39 pm 

I was lucky enough to complete my MERP collection in the 90s before the LOTR movies came out and made the prices jump. Now such a collection is unaffordable by normal humans.

If I had the money I would get into OOP lead miniature lines from the 70s and 80s  like Texas Minis, Martian, Ral Partha, Wizzards & Warriors, etc. So many great old minis I'd love to see again! Then I'd hire someone to paint them all so I could use them in game (no way in hell I'm going to get around to doing it myself).  Also on the list would be complete runs of fanzines and gaming mags like Wild Hunt,  Alarums & Excursions, Beholder, Tortured Souls, etc

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:46 am 

I collect 80s citadel miniatures. The miniatures for the scenario packs, Orc's Drift and MacDeath are phenomenally expensive.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:20 am 

Four quick votes for MERP.  Interesting.  There's not much in the line that's really THAT pricey (say $100+), yet we must be perceiving something in the quality, Rolemaster rules, trueness to source material, etc. that adds up to it not being a good value.  Or maybe it's the thought of the many items in the mid-range (maybe $25-50) adding up to a pretty expensive group overall.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:27 am 

I'd say T&T... too many printings and nobody really knowing exactly about game history... everytime i find an interesting T&T item i need to make too many assumptions to understand whether it is worth or not...

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:39 am 

Noone said D&D? :)

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:44 am 

TheHistorian wrote:Four quick votes for MERP.  Interesting.  There's not much in the line that's really THAT pricey (say $100+), yet we must be perceiving something in the quality, Rolemaster rules, trueness to source material, etc. that adds up to it not being a good value.  Or maybe it's the thought of the many items in the mid-range (maybe $25-50) adding up to a pretty expensive group overall.

I *love* middle earth, and am down with the product (but never played it), it's just my current wanted list has 53 softcover books, and four box sets... at say $40 each plus shipping, I'd rather buy a minty Rahaisa :)

Mike makes an excellent point about fanzines, the price point isn't too high, but there are *so* many. I don't think I've ever bid on an Alarums & Excursions - partly becuase I was afraid if I won I'd never be able to acquire the other 250 issues :(

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:02 am 

I wonder at the MERPs popularity and havet o think it's due to the richness of the content.  Really expanded on Tolkein's magical world.  Fanzines would be cool and I'd settle for electronic collections.  Obviously IP concerns shoot that idea in the foot  :(

Politician, Tree, Rope...Some Assembly Required

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:05 pm 

simrion wrote:I wonder at the MERPs popularity and havet o think it's due to the richness of the content.  Really expanded on Tolkein's magical world.  Fanzines would be cool and I'd settle for electronic collections.  Obviously IP concerns shoot that idea in the foot  :(

Merp material is kind of the "perfect storm".  It's out of print; was never printed in large numbers; was never reprinted and will never be reprinted due to licensing questions; deals with an extremely popular fantasy world that transcends the gaming community to bleed into Tolkien fandom; the supplements have some of the best artwork and maps of any FRP product ever produced; and they contain a lot of content fleshing out Tolkien's world that is available no where else.  So basically sellers can ask for $40-$50 per item (with many that sell over $100 apiece) and not have to worry about anyone undercutting their prices.  A really hard line to collect at this point.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:16 pm 

Badmike wrote:
simrion wrote:I wonder at the MERPs popularity and havet o think it's due to the richness of the content.  Really expanded on Tolkein's magical world.  Fanzines would be cool and I'd settle for electronic collections.  Obviously IP concerns shoot that idea in the foot  :(

Merp material is kind of the "perfect storm".  It's out of print; was never printed in large numbers; was never reprinted and will never be reprinted due to licensing questions; deals with an extremely popular fantasy world that transcends the gaming community to bleed into Tolkien fandom; the supplements have some of the best artwork and maps of any FRP product ever produced; and they contain a lot of content fleshing out Tolkien's world that is available no where else.  So basically sellers can ask for $40-$50 per item (with many that sell over $100 apiece) and not have to worry about anyone undercutting their prices.  A really hard line to collect at this point.

Mike B.

I agree with this analysis.  I have been collecting for many years and I too completed my MERPS collection while it was still cheap and readily available.  

As for Fanzines, I collect them and it is indeed a challenge to get complete runs.  I have found that buying lots of stuff help!  I do have almost all of the Alarums & Excursions (missing some higher numbers) and Wild Hunt.  For me the fun is trying to complete these obscure sets.  :)

One thing I do find onerous in collecting is the new Fantsy Flight Warhammer and Warhammer 40k stuff.  Its all pricey and they pump out quite a lot of it.  Now they have Star Wars (which I collect) so in order to keep up you need to outlay $100 - $200 per month at retail or hope for somebody to blow out it all later (like modern Runequest).

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:46 pm 

After collecting aimlessly for a long time, I seem down now to looking only for unusual and rare supplemental stuff for OD&D and AD&D.  And even there, just through first edition.  There's just too much out there.  So unless something is interesting, would have sentimental value (like Gen Con programs) or is particularly useful (now that I'm DMing again), I'm likely to take a pass.

I do have a nearly complete set of MERP, but it was pretty much all bought at retail back in the day.

And fanzines.  I picked up a bunch of A&Es at Gen Con a couple of years back, and I regret it.  I'm never going to read them (who has the time?), and I'm not going to try to get all of them.  So someday I'll lug them back to Gen Con and get back half of what I paid for them.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:10 pm 

I'm sure a couple of us will take some issues you don't want;)

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:13 pm 

simrion wrote:I wonder at the MERPs popularity and havet o think it's due to the richness of the content.  Really expanded on Tolkein's magical world.

Badmike wrote:they contain a lot of content fleshing out Tolkien's world that is available no where else

This is interesting to hear, as what little MERP I owned back in the day seemed so far afield from Tolkien's work that I didn't think that was the draw exactly.  I've seen comments elsewhere that tend to agree with me.  Frankly, I thought it was a combination of the property itself and the really beautiful cover art that drew people in.  Those are the reasons I'd want them, anyway.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:39 pm 

beasterbrook wrote:I'm sure a couple of us will take some issues you don't want;)

Brette:)

I'll see if I can track down my list, Brette, and will let you know.  But if I recall, none were all that early.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Next