Collecting in the POD era
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:57 pm 

I'm wondering how people classify Print On Demand (POD) items in their collecting thoughts?

Clearly, if POD is the only paper version, than it's simple; if you want paper instead of digital, then that's that.

But what about out of print items brought back as POD?  What if they have no new content?  What if they do?  What if it's minor, like new cover art or typos/errata fixed or a change in form factor (hardcover->softcover or vice versa), but not a fully reworked new edition?

There's probably a bigger question about exactly when and how it is appropriate to use the terms edition, printing, and version, but first I'm trying to figure out if POD should be treated any differently or not.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, Pendragon, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based, CoC, Runequest

Planning: BRP/Harn

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:17 pm 

Here's a thought:
POD prints are a very long run of an edition and printing version.
If the content or print quality appreciably changes, that could be enough to qualify it as a new printing.
I'd say the content is collectible, but the printed item has little value beyond the cost to print up more.

Personally, I like the finite print runs at specific points in time.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:04 pm 

That's a reasonable point.

But what about when a POD item goes out of print or a new version is released?  Both have happened.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, Pendragon, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based, CoC, Runequest

Planning: BRP/Harn

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:18 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:That's a reasonable point.

But what about when a POD item goes out of print or a new version is released?  Both have happened.

Then the previous version will have a defined print run, which could conceivably increase in value based on scarcity and demand.  I say "conceivably," but in reality, I can't imagine any POD item becoming a true collectable.