Wee Warriors Question
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:11 pm 

Pete is doing other things these days, doesn't really care about what he did in the late 70s, is actually amused people still collect the stuff... when he moved 5+ years ago, he still had the ORIGINAL "plates" the PotVQ was printed from... and he tossed them in the trash !

When I spoke to him, he wasn't interested in any money since he knows as well as I do, the people willing to buy the stuff is very small... took me 6+ months to sell 100 copies... note very profitable at all.

I also collect old BBS door software. Sometimes programmers GIVE me the source code from programs from the 1980s and 1990s because they know it's old stuff... and I have others that think somehow it could be the basis for some new world shattering game.. and want thousands of dollars (which I won't pay). Even on the stuff I have paid for, I never get back my money.

Stuff gets old, and people don't care.

I could have just printed the copies up and sold them and never asked, but I knew how to get in touch and it wasn't right to not ask.

I'll be putting the Dwarven Glory online at RPGMarketplace.com in a few days and they can be ordered from there at that point.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:19 pm 

McDuff wrote:Reprinting the entire work will never fall under the "fair use" principle.

Never say never.

Just a decade ago (or so) congress took an unprecedented step, first time in human history. They reclassifed works in the public domain as being the property of the original creators/owners.

That's right. One minute something was freely usable by anyone, and the next minute it was an international crime to reprint it.

So don't count on the sanity or stability of ANY laws regarding copyrights and trademarks.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:34 pm 

If you're referring to the case I think you are, it dealt with foreign published works that had fallen into the public domain in their country of origin.  Congress decided to provide such works U.S.-style copyright protection, so they'd be granted protection for 70 years (without extension).  It generally only affects works from the 1930's or so, and again, only foreign works that had already passed into the public domain, for whatever reason, in their host country.

While I think it's a bit of a dumb idea that doesn't really serve any useful purpose, I can at least see the line of reasoning here.

The Supreme Court is currently ruling (I think) on whether Congress has the power to do this.

Foul

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:23 pm 

FoulFoot wrote:The Supreme Court is currently ruling (I think) on whether Congress has the power to do this.

The Supremes have agreed to hear it, yeah. Dunno if it's been argued yet.

But as I believe the US Government is demonstrably insane by almost any standard, as I said -- never say never when they're involved. ;>

Previous