The Cataclysm is Here...
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:11 am 

Maybe the thread should be re-titled 'Don't buy from Pacesetter Games'.
It would be in keeping with the general sentiment.

Reading and watching a lot from FGG and in particular Matt's opinion on delivery products as promised, and the risks with Kickstarter projects, and Chuck Wright's opinions on what constitutes a good quality product in particular.

Is it possible Ben Barsh was 'pushed' because his values in regard to delivery and quality don't align with FGG?
Or did he really think he could introduce quality and integrity to Pacesetter Games?
Based on the performance being displayed to date in Pacesetter, maybe FGG found him wanting?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:37 am 

A Knight's Tale ...

You have been Weighed - YouTube ... Count Adhemar

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:56 pm 

Hahaha brilliant

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:35 pm 

Pacesetter Games now has a channel on Youtube.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:20 pm 

Is the "Pacesetter Games" in this thread the same as Goblinoid Games? Goblinoid Games – Old-School Games since 2006

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:21 am 

sauromatian wrote in The Cataclysm is Here...:Is the "Pacesetter Games" in this thread the same as Goblinoid Games? Goblinoid Games – Old-School Games since 2006

I believe Bill picked up the Pacesetter name years ago from an older company, from memory.

Looking at the Goblinoid games site, there’s one thing that worries me to say it is to do with Bill. It’s using a yahoo.com email address which screams Bill Barsh but digging around on KS and Goblinoid games is being run it seems by someone else thankfully

Might be worth looking at the Pacesetter link though the KS run by Goblinoid all seem legit

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:13 am 

It's possible Goblinoid are acting as publisher for Pacesetter, on account of Pacesetter not being able to manage that side of the business well, and also now offering their back catalogue of old Pacesetter IP.
Would be worth asking Goblinoid directly exactly what their tie is to the Pacesetter advertised on their website, and if then asked why, or if reluctant to explain, offer the explanation of concerns for their company's previously good reputation, and the increasing deteriorating quality coming out of the Pacesetter staff, and the repeated failure/looting of customers through serial failed Kickstarters.

How many Kickstarters have there been in the past 6 or 7 years?
How many were completed and delivered?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:41 am 

It looks like Goblinoid Games own the old Pacesetter Limited from the 1980s (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacesetter_Ltd) and some of their old games like Timemaster and that isn’t connected with Bill Barsh’s company, which simply uses a very similar name, Pacesetter Games & Simulations.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:59 am 

This is where Bill launched PGS to the site

Looking for Logo Artist

I thought he’d referenced Pacesetter somewhere saying it was defunct, but I can’t find it... Seems it’s a slight change of name but not related to the original Paceseter and Goblinoid games thankfully

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:14 am 

You mean this post? Unauthorized

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:21 am 

Why would you name your company after another company and pretend you're something you're not? Lack of imagination? Desire to profit off of someone else's merit?
That's no different from me setting up a company called Troll Lords, Necromancer or Frog God Publications? If he had no right to bask in the glory of the old company, that should have been a red flag from day one as to how the 'family business' as Ben Barsh puts it, was going to operate.

bbarsh wrote in Pacesetter GS - Suggestion Box:So I decided to try and carry on with the legacy.

Well that went well. Glad the Pacesetter name still has the same connotations as it did back in the day.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:25 pm 

What seems weird is his other choice was Task Force Games and Simulations. Another non-defunct company.

Also what is the Simulations bit?  Is he simulating being a games company?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:36 pm 

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:28 pm 

:lol:  :lol:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:29 pm 

I wonder if he’s having to prop up his Barsh Building LLC

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:01 pm 

Certainly seems a repeating process in place now, many people getting nothing and no updates

The reply from PGS just says “reply sent, check your messages” as a stock answer  :roll:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pa ... w/comments

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:17 pm 

ashmire13 wrote in The Cataclysm is Here...:Certainly seems a repeating process in place now, many people getting nothing and no updates

The reply from PGS just says “reply sent, check your messages” as a stock answer  :roll:

If its any consolation, it'll be available for free for everyone to download within a few months of releasing the PDFs. Either a Google search or a quick look in The Trove and you can save it to your harddrive.
That must really kill the market for the alsorans, because the only products of value are the ones that are really well written, really well produced, or published by really notable authors. Ben Barsh doesn't produce products in any of those categories. They're all homebrew stuff run through a DTP package like 1001 other homebrew publishers out there.

What are the odds that they've coloured in graph paper and photocopied it to make the maps?
Do you think they've used their art budget this time on the book, or on Mountain Dew and Cheetos?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:08 am 

ashmire13 wrote in The Cataclysm is Here...:Certainly seems a repeating process in place now, many people getting nothing and no updates

Not sure I draw that broad a conclusion from the comments. That KS funded only a month ago with promised delivery dates as May 2021.  There are a couple guys asking about pledge manager emails, but it seems a little early for those to happen just yet (based on what I have seen from other KS).  And then a guy asking about "missing orders," but unrelated to this KS, could even be from Cataclysm.

So I don't think anything there shows that they are necessarily dropping the ball on this KS. But it's early.

PreviousNext