The Cataclysm is Here...
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:48 pm 

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/116 ... the-acaeum

The Cataclysm is growing larger by the day! The base project had an estimated total page count of 304 pages spread out between about eight books. This does not include maps (around 24 separate cardstock units). Right now, the boxed set will include approximately 456 pages! That is a 50% increase in the boxed set from the original inception. There will also be an additonal 6-10 maps. Cataclysm has now shattered the previous boxed size record for a first edition product (as well as Swords & Wizardry). These totals do not include the bonus modules Raid on the Aceum and The Village of Lore (both will come in around 32 pages each plus maps).

Cataclysm at the Acaeum is a megadungeon boxed set that is compatible with the First Edition game (as well as the OSRIC system). This boxed set will include four 36-page adventure books (each containing 4-6 scenarios), three 32-page adventure books (large scale adventure), 24+ cardstock maps and a poster map of the acaeum complex. There will also be a separate book detailing all significant NPCs, New Monsters and New Magic Items. When complete, this will be the largest boxed set produced for the First Edition game!

UPDATE: I have recieved more than a few requests to create a Swords & Wizardry option. Therefore, all backers will have the option to choose either a First Edition version or a Swords & Wizardry version. For those who want both, you can pledge an additonal $55 (you save $10) on any addition boxed set purchases.

This is a sand box style megadungeon and it can be dropped into virtually any campaign setting including those originally published for the First Edition game or used with the upcoming Pacesetter Games & Simulations Dark Land campaign setting. Unlike many other megadungeons, Cataclysm at the Acaeum can be played as a massive campaign-style adventure or it can broken into pieces and used independenlty to fit your game. If used as a stand-alone campaign, you can start with first level characters. If not, there are adventures for various levels including 1-3, 4-6 and 7-9. In general, the adventures are designed for well-balanced parties of four to seven characters.

Adventure Background:  The Acaeum is a citadel that  is home to a secretive group that is devoted to the study of history, magic and the dieties of the world. Its members are generally magic-users, clerics, sages, collectors and scholars. Most are independent and concentrate on their own individual fields of study. But all share a thirst for knowledge of their world (your campaign world) and what mysteries it holds. The Acaeum citadel rests near the summit of a low mountian near the coast of a great ocean. While the citadel is the major feature of the mountain, many of the Acaeum members have their own chateaus on the mountain. Most also have private laboratories, libraries and vaults within the mountain itself. All have access to the Acaeum citadel which has its own massive complex beneath the mountain. The complex is so large, and old, few, if any, can claim knowledge of the endless series of halls, chambers and secret vaults.  

For centuries the Acaeum membership have operated in seclusion, though only a very few actually reside at the Acaeum complex. Then came the cataclysm. An evil high priest managed to retrieve the Black Stone from some unnamed layer of the abyss. The Black Stone, now on the prime material plane, raised the dead and created armies of undead under control of the high priest. However, before the priest could march forth he was confronted and destroyed by an intrepid band of adventurers. Unfortunately, the hordes of undead, now free of control, immediately spread across the lands. The largest horde fell upon the Acaeum and devestation followed. Large sections of the moutain complex fell to the undead but total collapse was avoided. The core Acaeum complex remained free from incursion, though some sections were sealed off in a desperate attempt at defense.

News of the calamity spread quickly and, with the Acaeum defenses weakened, bands of humanoids and giants descended from the surrounding lands and laid seige to the citadel and those structures that had withstood the onslaught of the undead. The Acaeum is near complete collapse and only the bravest adventurers can prevent Cataclysm at the Acaeum!

Be a Collaborator:  So there you have it. The framework of a massive megadungeon that will provide you with numerous and varied adventures. But of course, there is much more. Cataclysm at the Acaeum gives you the chance to collaborate in this fantastic project. You can add to this project by submitting an NPC, new monster or new magic item. Furthermore, you can even submit an adventure for inclusion in the boxed set. Therefore, as we add more collaborator level supporters, the larger this megadungeon becomes!

Conjuror Level - At this level you submit an NPC, new monster or new magic item. An NPC can be a hero or a villain. You pick and tell Pacesetter how to use him in the project. You have the option to stat him out and provide a full description. Same goes for a new monster or new magic item. You will be given full credit in the contents section of the boxed set. You can do as little or as much work as you want. Submit an idea of full-blown detail sheet; you decide. If you you want to contribute multiple submissions, just pledge an additional $10 per submission. You will receive a special designer's character sheet (or stat sheet for monsters and magic items). These sheets are only produced for the editorial staff and for you. They are numbered.

Thaumaturgist Level - Same as Conjuror level but you also get the original art used in the boxed set. This will be a black ink piece and it will be produced by one of our illustrators (you have the option of selecting which of our illustrators that will be used).

Enchanter Level - At this level you can submit an adventure that will be included in the boxed set. This adventure must conform to the general provisions of the megadungeon and you will have many options to choose from. You can write the entire thing or just give Pacesetter a general idea. You will be credited either way. You will be sent, via email, the guidelines for submission. The finished length of the adventure is 4-8 pages. In general, this will give you 8-15 encounter areas (described). Additionally, you will receive a designer's copy of your adventure. These copies are only created for the editorial staff and you. It will be individually numbered.

Sorcerer Level - Same as Enchanter level but you receive all the original artwork used in your dungeon. You can request a specific illustrator (from our staff).

Necromancer Level - At this level you can submit an adventure that will be included in the boxed set. This adventure must conform to the general provisions of the megadungeon and you will have many options to choose from. You can write the entire thing or just give Pacesetter a general idea. You will be credited either way. You will be sent, via email, the guidelines for submission. The finished length of the adventure is 16-24 pages. In general, this will give you 30+ encounter areas (described). Additionally, you will receive a designer's copy of your adventure. These copies are only created for the editorial staff and you. It will be individually numbered.

Arch-Mage Level - Same as Necromancer level but you receive all the original artwork used in your dungeon. You can request a specific illustrator (from our staff).

Contact and Questions: You can send me an email at [email protected] or reach me via cell phone at 248.318.1292. I am generally available in the evening and weekends. Feel free to use the Kickstarter message thread, too.

I want to thank Foulfoot over at the Acaeum.com for making this project possible. While this is not an Acaeum project, Foul's site deserves a great deal of credit for the inspiration.

Updates and Goals:

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Last edited by bbarsh on Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:40 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:10 pm 

You're such a tease...that looks awesome!

PDT_Armataz_01_34

Hector.

Habent sua fata libelli 8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:40 pm 

Looks great, Bill! When will your Kickstarter go live?

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:41 am 

Damnnnn you Bill!! for offering so many quality products to buyyyy!!!
Really looking forward to this, can you give us an idea of when the Kickstarter will go live?

Thanks,
Jorge

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:07 pm 

I'm in... I'm more in than an inny thing!

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:22 pm 

Center_Stage wrote:Looks great, Bill! When will your Kickstarter go live?

As soon as I can get it all set up. Maybe even tonight if all goes well. I wanted to be sure I have all the steps in place for the collaborative backers.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:52 pm 

Awesome cover, Bill.  I will certainly be in.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:03 pm 

The cover is awesome.  

As for the kickstarter I'm in for 1 million dollars (do you have an installment plan?).

Martin

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:30 pm 

Prufrock wrote:The cover is awesome.  

As for the kickstarter I'm in for 1 million dollars (do you have an installment plan?).

Martin

Hell, I'll give twice that on an installment plan!

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:58 pm 

Working through the final details. Should be live soon.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:03 pm 

Sneak peak at the guts of the Kickstarter...Launches tonight at around 8 p.m.
I will post a link at that time in a new thread. Thanks to all those who have been so supportive. I really appreciate the emails and notes!

Cataclysm at the Acaeum is a megadungeon boxed set for use with the First Edition game (compatible with OSRIC). This boxed set will include four 36-page adventure books (each containing 4-6 scenarios), three 32-page adventure books (large scale adventure), 24+ cardstock maps and a poster map of the acaeum complex. There will also be a separate book detailing all significant NPCs, New Monsters and New Magic Items. When complete, this will be the largest boxed set produced for the First Edition game!

This is a sand box style megadungeon and it can be dropped into virtually any campaign setting including those originally published for the First Edition game or used with the Pacesetter Games & Simulations Dark Land campaign setting. Unlike many other megadungeons, Cataclysm at the Acaeum can be played as a massive campaign-style adventure or it can broken into pieces and used independenlty to fit your game. If used as a stand-alone campaign, you can start with first level characters. If not, there are adventures for various levels including 1-3, 4-6 and 7-9. In general, the adventures are designed for well-balanced parties of four to seven characters.

Adventure Background:  The Acaeum proper is a citadel that is devoted to the study of history, magic and the dieties of the world. Its members are generally magic-users, clerics, sages, collectors and scholars. Most are independent and concentrate on their own individual fields of study. But all share a thirst for knowledge of their world (your campaign world) and what mysteries it holds. The Acaeum citadel rests near the summit of a low mountian near the coast of a great ocean. While the citadel is the major feature of the mountain, many of the Acaeum members have their own chateaus on the mountain. Most also have private laboratories, libraries and vaults within the mountain itself. All have access to the Acaeum citadel which has its own massive complex beneath the mountain. The complex is so large, and old, few, if any, can claim knowledge of the entire series of halls, chambers and secret vaults.  

For centuries the Acaeum, and its secretive members, have operated in seclusion. Then came the cataclysm. An evil high priest managed to retrieve the Black Stone from some unnamed layer of the abyss. The Black Stone, now on the prime material plane, raised the dead and created armies of undead under control of the high priest. However, before the priest could march forth he was confronted and destroyed by an intrepid band of adventurers. Unfortunately, the hordes of undead, now free of control, immediately spread across the lands. The largest horde fell upon the Acaeum and devestation followed. Large sections of the moutain complex fell to the undead but total collapse was avoided.

News of the calamity spread quickly and, with the Acaeum defenses weakened, bands of humanoids descended from the surrounding lands and laid seige to the citadel and those structures that had withstood the onslaught of the undead. The Acaeum is near complete collapse and only the bravest adventurers can prevent Cataclysm at the Acaeum!

Be a Collaborator:  So there you have it. The framework of a massive megadungeon that will provide you with numerous and varied adventures. But of course, there is much more. Cataclysm at the Acaeum gives you the chance to collaborate in this fantastic project. You can add to this project by submitting an NPC, new monster or new magic item. Furthermore, you can even submit an adventure for inclusion in the boxed set. Therefore, as we add more collaborator level supporters, the larger this megadungeon becomes!

Conjuror Level - At this level you submit an NPC, new monster or new magic item. An NPC can be a hero or a villain. You pick and tell Pacesetter how to use him in the project. You have the option to stat him out and provide a full description. Same goes for a new monster or new magic item. You will be given full credit in the contents section of the boxed set. You can do as little or as much work as you want. If you you want to contribute multiple submissions, just pledge an additional $10 per submission. You will receive a special designer's character sheet (or stat sheet for monsters and magic items). These sheets are only produced for the editorial staff and for you. They are numbered.

Thaumaturgist Level - Same as Conjuror level but you also get the original art used in the boxed set. This will be a black ink piece and it will be produced by one of our illustrators (you have the option of selecting which of our illustrators that will be used).

Enchanter Level - At this level you can submit an adventure that will be included in the boxed set. This adventure must conform to the general provisions of the megadungeon and you will have many options to choose from. You can write the entire thing or just give Pacesetter a general idea. You will be credited either way. You will be sent, via email, the guidelines for submission. The finished length of the adventure is 4-8 pages. In general, this will give you 8-15 encounter areas (described). Additionally, you will receive a designer's copy of your adventure. These copies are only created for the editorial staff and you. It will be individually numbered.

Sorcerer Level - Same as Enchanter level but you receive all the original artwork used in your dungeon. You can request a specific illustrator (from our staff).

Necromancer Level - At this level you can submit a major adventure that will be included in the boxed set. This adventure must conform to the general provisions of the mega dungeon and you will have many options to choose from. You can write the entire thing or just give Pacesetter a general idea. You will be credited either way. You will be sent, via email, the guidelines for submission. The finished length of the adventure is 16-24 pages. In general, this will give you 30+ encounter areas (described). Additionally, you will receive a designer's copy of your adventure. These copies are only created for the editorial staff and you. It will be individually numbered.

Arch-Mage Level - Same as Necromancer level but you receive all the original artwork used in your dungeon. You can request a specific illustrator (from our staff).

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:15 pm 

I'm in!!

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:24 pm 

Me too!

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:32 am 

Edit: moved from other thread which is now gone.

:D
stylean wrote:I almost feel creepy having stalked this topic / project now, but quick question Bill.  At the Sorcerer level I get 4 to 8 pages, designer copy, and artwork for my adventure.  At Necromancer, its 16 to 24 pages, and the designer copy (note, no artwork mentioned).  At Arch-Mage, I get 16 to 24 pages, a designer copy, and all the artwork.

Seems that Sorcerer is the place to be if I care about the artwork.  Is the lack thereof an oversight at the Necromancer level, or intended?

S- Yes, same goes for Enchanter level. If you want the original artwork for your dungeon you need to select Sorcerer or Arch-Mage levels. Basically, Enchanger/Sorcerer are the same but you get the artwork if you pick Sorcerer. Same goes for Necromancer/Archmage levels.

And thanks for stalking!

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:17 pm 

I'm in!

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:46 pm 

I was backer 10, I'd like to know which one of you buggers was first...

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:15 pm 

I'm excited with the project and will back it as a purchaser... I don't think I have what it takes to be a contributor :)

To be honest, if there were levels above the $65 that included art and/or limited editions I'd be on board if I didn't have to come up with content... but that's just me.

Good luck , I hope this project is a smash!

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:13 pm 

If we go the route of a higher contribution level, how much of the "adventure" must we supply? Can it be a concept or does it need to be maps, NPCs, encounters? Modules are not really my thing... I tend to write monsters, magic, and items and play with a completely "wing it" mentality.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Next