Challenges International -- CH1 and CH3
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:52 am 

Well to my eyes it doesnt matter if the modules are on sale at garycon ntrpgcon or doesntmattercon.. i simply expressed my extreme interest in these two items and i'd like to contribite anyhow if possible... if thats not possible i'd like to be in the list of purchasers at least...
Thanks and ciaooo

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:08 pm 

aia wrote in Challenges International -- CH1 and CH3:Great good and... what are you gping to do once you've run them at the con??? Any chance to have a copy of the ms???

I wasn't planning to try to publish the manuscripts in any kind of facsimilie edition, they're just not very interesting in that regard:  they're just pages of double-spaced typing with some hand corrections throughout, plus the maps.  So, unlike many of Rob's manuscripts that Paul has sold, they don't have a lot of original character to them, per se.  They're just typescripts, basically.

aia wrote in Challenges International -- CH1 and CH3:Well to my eyes it doesnt matter if the modules are on sale at garycon ntrpgcon or doesntmattercon.. i simply expressed my extreme interest in these two items and i'd like to contribite anyhow if possible... if thats not possible i'd like to be in the list of purchasers at least...

I'd definitely like to get them published.  What additional ideas you have in mind in terms of contributing to them, Axel?  I definitely appreciate the thought and support, just not sure what you mean?

aia wrote in Challenges International -- CH1 and CH3:Sorry i dont want to be annoying but as a non-US member i do not attend your super con... having said that i would like to ask Allan to kindly consider an initiative similar to the ruby dragon module we had some years ago... i would really love to have a copy of the original ms in my collection... i dont need to have a limited print run, i am one of the greatest fan of moldvay (amber castle is the best module by farcompared to any other i have read/played) and being the owner of the lost  CH series is one of the great score i have in my heart... if i can help this project somehow, i am available!!!

Edit:  sorry, missed this note earlier.  I'll have to go back to dig up the Ruby Dragon details (that doesn't ring any bells to me, unfortunately), but if what you're suggesting is a printing of the modules, that's definitely what we have in mind (no particularly a limited edition version, etc., just a straight-up printing of them).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Last edited by grodog on Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:15 pm 

misterspock wrote in Challenges International -- CH1 and CH3:interesting stuff, Allan!

Thanks, Mike, they're are definitely fun pieces, and full of Moldvay's signature design style!

Zenopus wrote in Challenges International -- CH1 and CH3:Thanks for the index, Allan!

Better late than never, I always say ;)

Zenopus wrote in Challenges International -- CH1 and CH3:Lots of interesting tidbits there & connections to Moldvay's previous work.

In CH1, The "Haunted Halls" and "Gnome Homestead" bring to mind the "Haunted Keep" and "Gnome Lair" sample dungeons from the B/X rulebooks that Moldvay worked on.

In CH3, the "Empire of Thyatis" is of course from the Known World created by Moldvay/Shick, originally for their own OD&D campaign and later used for B/X.

Good points about the keep/gnomes, Zach, I hadn't thought of that.  

Zenopus wrote in Challenges International -- CH1 and CH3:The new monsters in CH3 have some connections to his older works.

Giants Bats and Killer Bees were two of the new monsters he added to the Basic rulebook. Crystal Men are probably Living Crystal Statues.

I'll do some comparisons.  A number of the new monsters were written by Lawrence Schick, too, with a few from at least one other contributor as well.

Zenopus wrote in Challenges International -- CH1 and CH3:Protein Polymorphs were a monster he submitted to the Fiend Folio, and also appeared in B4 as Polymars. B4 also includes Werefoxes as a new monster. The Astral Shell might be Astral Searcher, another monster he submitted to the Fiend Folio (and looking at the description, they are called "mindless shells" in the first sentence).

Will compare these, too.  Thanks for connecting the dots!

Zenopus wrote in Challenges International -- CH1 and CH3:Feles Sapiens = Rakastas from X1? These were originally Kzinti in the Known World as confirmed by Schick, who included them in the Fiend Folio as Tabaxi.

The original Known World material posted by Schick mentions Great Orcs and Giganthroptheci in the list of Languages. I wonder if these dungeons go back to his pre-TSR years?

I asked Lawrence a little about this campaign, and he advised that "The Challenges material was written well after Tom had left TSR and returned to Akron, but was based on ideas from our pre-TSR Original Known World campaign."

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:19 pm 

Badmike wrote in Challenges International -- CH1 and CH3:I have to point out that Allan is also running this at NTRPG con this year!

That's true.  My intention is to run CH2 next year at GaryCon and NTX, then CH3 the following year.  

Badmike wrote in Challenges International -- CH1 and CH3:And I have  feeling if Allan can get these out in print, he will, he's not going to pass up that kind of opportunity if he's able...

That's definitely the plan! :D

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:36 pm 

TheHistorian wrote in Challenges International -- CH1 and CH3:
copycat wrote:I really wish there were more dwarf-influenced and driven modules, along with some for gnomes.

I can barely think of any that involve gnomes at all, never mind as a key element.

apart from your avatar?  :wink:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:17 pm 

nn wrote in Challenges International -- CH1 and CH3:apart from your avatar?  :wink:

Comment predates avatar change.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:41 pm 

Weren't these both available here at one time as a limited edition run?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:52 pm 

ZardokhasSpoken wrote in Challenges International -- CH1 and CH3:Weren't these both available here at one time as a limited edition run?

Not to my knowledge ;)

Allan.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:22 pm 

Does Black Blade have permission to publish CH1 and CH3, or Starstone, or were these discussions that didn't reach a commitment by the IP holder?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:18 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Challenges International -- CH1 and CH3:Does Black Blade have permission to publish CH1 and CH3, or Starstone, or were these discussions that didn't reach a commitment by the IP holder?

Hi Ian:  we still have interest on Starstone but don't have a contract for it.  When I last pinged Rebecca Welner she was still interested in publishing Tom's materials, but it's been several years now since I last heard from her.  I need to reach out to get back in touch again and see if we can restart those discussions!

Allan.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Previous