I Finished Painting My Miniature Collection
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:27 pm 

Here is my entire painted miniature collection!  This has been a little over a 25 year journey and a major bucket list item of mine. It should be noted I took nearly a twenty year break in the middle, but it sounds more impressive if I just say it took me over twenty-five years!

This collection weighs 42.4 pounds in the case. All of these minis are metal except the plastic remorhaz in the last picture/tray.  There are 606 total miniatures in this collection.  Most all of these are 25mm in scale, and if they aren't, they were close enough to 25mm to be useable for that purpose.  I am not super picky about scale.  Not all of these were painted by me, but most were.

I documented my painting progress over the last couple of years in Dragonsfoot here:  dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f= ... mp;t=38299  There are close up photos of many of the minis if you are interested.

I wanted a collection that was usable for many 1st & 2nd Edition AD&D adventures.  I don't have every monster in the Monster Manual, but I have most of them.  The main minis I was not interested in were the creatures most players would know by name in the real world or our prehistoric world.

This is a Battlefoam 1520 case.  There are 14 total foam trays.  All foam trays measure 15.5" x 12".  Most trays are 1" thick, but one is 1 1/2", one is 2", and the last one is 3 1/2".  Enjoy!   :D

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:55 pm 

All I can say is Wow! That's impressive.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:07 pm 

Nice work!

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:09 am 

That's awesome!  Does this allow you to buy more minis now?  (i.e. I'm not going to buy any more bloody minis until all the ones I have are painted - condition now satisfied).

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:08 pm 

Mars wrote:That's awesome!  Does this allow you to buy more minis now?  (i.e. I'm not going to buy any more bloody minis until all the ones I have are painted - condition now satisfied).

My collection is essentially finished, but I am on the lookout for a few more figures if I can get them cheap or trade for them. I wouldn't mind a few more giant frogs or sanguin, for example. I also want a bulette, a Gelatinous cube, and an ankheg. I am already talking to Egg about a cube. Finally, I'd be interested in a small group of Kuo-Toa, but I'm not aggressively looking for anything.  I'm sure you can see that I don't have a lot of space left in my case for much of anything anyway, so space is the main reason for my slowdown and not money.

That being said, this Reaper Kickstarter is too good a deal to pass up. I want to see these new minis, and if there's nothing usable, I may just sell them on eBay. I figure my financial risk is low. 8)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:21 pm 

You want to paint mine next?

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:34 pm 

I'm loving this - good job there. Some great classic minis in that lot, particularly like the giants.

(Though it seems almost un-natural to not have any unpainted minis - you must be in a very select club) :D

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:52 pm 

Thank you for posting your collection.
Nice case too...

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:42 pm 

Looks awesome, Chris, and the fact that it all fits into one case means you can lug them around for games (even if that would be a bit of a workout ;) ).  Fabulous.  I'm very jealous :D  :mrgreen:

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:42 pm 

The minis look great!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:04 am 

gyg wrote:(Though it seems almost un-natural to not have any unpainted minis - you must be in a very select club)

The equivalent of having no unread books on the shelves.  Anyone in that club?  Didn't think so.   :D

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:57 pm 

copycat wrote:You want to paint mine next?

Nope.

gyg wrote:I'm loving this - good job there. Some great classic minis in that lot, particularly like the giants.

(Though it seems almost un-natural to not have any unpainted minis - you must be in a very select club) :D

It is much easier to buy minis than paint them.   And now that you mention it, I personally have never seen or heard of anyone who had a sizable collection where every mini was painted (as in, painted well).  But it's not something I've thought about much or asked about.  Interesting observation.

Thanks for all the kudos and comments everyone.   :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:00 pm 

Old School, Benjoshua!  Old School!

Nice work!   :salut:  :cheers:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:01 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:
gyg wrote:(Though it seems almost un-natural to not have any unpainted minis - you must be in a very select club)

The equivalent of having no unread books on the shelves.  Anyone in that club?  Didn't think so.   :D

That would be sad because it would mean either:

a)  One had stopped reading.  :roll:

or

b)  One had run out of books.  :cry:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:24 pm 

Very very impressive <standing ovation>.

So what is next? Sculpting?

Z

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:31 pm 

Nogrod wrote:Very very impressive <standing ovation>.

So what is next? Sculpting?

Z

Thanks for the kudos.  Interesting you should mention sculpting.  I have a bunch of minis that needed repairing.  Some were missing parts, legs, weapons, or whatever.  So, part of what I've been doing is sculpting metal parts in order to make the minis workable (and sellable!).  Here's an example of a rakshasa with a trunk I sculpted.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:13 am 

Awesome!

That Reaper KS got me to pull out a number of my unpainted minis to give it another go. I will leave sculpting to talented people.

You are a 25mm guy aren't you?

Zach

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:59 am 

Nogrod wrote:Awesome!

That Reaper KS got me to pull out a number of my unpainted minis to give it another go. I will leave sculpting to talented people.

You are a 25mm guy aren't you?

Zach

Yes I am!  I have spoken of this from time to time, but 25mm made a lot of sense to me at the time, primarily because of cost, encumbrance, and variety advantages.  I would buy larger lots of 25mm minis at roughly 25 to 50 cents a miniature, especially after selling off the unwanted minis. The 25mm scale sounds only slightly smaller than the 28mm scale of minis, but when you have a collection as big as mine, the encumbrance roughly doubles in space, and I wanted a portable, and therefore useable, collection.  Finally, 25mm minis at the time I started collecting, and maybe even now, had the widest variety of minis available, and I prefer a variety of sculpts.

The biggest disadvantages to classic metal minis is that they are easier to break, their weight, and they require painting.  My collection of just over 600 minis weighs 42.4 pounds which is at the edge of portablity.  The D&D painted minis offer an attractive alternative because they are already painted and can take a drop.  Their bases also prevent easy tip-overs when players bump the table.  Many 25mm scale minis have bases that are too small, even though I have a developed my own base modification which is lightweight and attractive.  Some people just glue pennies to the bottoms of their bases, but pennies are not lightweight when massed together.

I wish this Kickstarter was around when I was starting my collection.  Here are minis which are lightweight and can take a drop.  They do require painting but no priming.  They cost about 50 cents a mini.  And based on what was offered, that kickstarter collection had many of the basic minis needed for many adventures, like a good group of undead, goblins, basic character types, plus some of the more expensive minis usually desired at great prices, like dragons, demons and giants.  And additional miniatures will be at price levels superior to metal minis.  The other disadvantage to these minis is their encumbrance as they will take up a lot of space to carry, meaning that it may require trimming down the variety of minis in the collection if someone still wants everything to be portable, but that's not a big deal to most players.

Best of luck to you as you paint, and do not measure your ability by web-sites like Cool Mini Or Not.  Maybe it's just sour grapes, but I personally don't like that style of painting.  As long as you like your painting, that's all that matters.   8)

Next