The former Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 56 of 114123 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 112113114
Author

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4750
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: Oct 29, 2021
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:45 am 
 

FormCritic wrote:
** expired eBay auction **


I finally won a copy of Thieves Guild 2nd Edition for a reasonable price.

I also got a copy of City of Haven in the deal.

Unfortunately, they're both shrinkwrapped...so I won two really nice posters...possibly knicknacks.


Well I am kinda glad that I didnt bid on that auction then.  I was going to but I have spent enough money on games this past month.  But you gotta take it out of the shrinkwrap Mark.  Shrinkwrap is evil.  :twisted:


You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

  


Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5677
Joined: Nov 16, 2002
Last Visit: Nov 26, 2021
Location: Wichita, KS, USA

Post Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:54 am 
 

FormCritic wrote:
** expired eBay auction **

I finally won a copy of Thieves Guild 2nd Edition for a reasonable price.
I also got a copy of City of Haven in the deal.
Unfortunately, they're both shrinkwrapped...so I won two really nice posters...possibly knicknacks.


I can always trade you non-shrinked copies of them for the shrink ones, Mark :D


Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

 WWW  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4750
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: Oct 29, 2021
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:58 am 
 

Eryops wrote:Could it also be the imminent Mongoose (re-)release?

404 Not Found 1


Not sure that is the case but possibly.  When a new version of something comes out you usually see a greater interest in what came before.  New Coke came out and everybody wanted the old Coke.  :wink:  

Frankly I have no interest in Mongoose's version of Traveller.  I had no interest in the QLI/RPGRealms or GURPS versions either.  I was looking forward to seeing Marc Miller's new incarnation of Traveller but it has been delayed more times than Duke Nukem Forever (ok maybe not).  And I have no desire to buy a DVD or CD of the rules.  I want books damnit!!!  :wink:


You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 1665
Joined: Jul 01, 2006
Last Visit: Nov 25, 2021
Location: Moncton, NB Canada

Post Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:27 am 
 

FormCritic wrote:Unfortunately, they're both shrinkwrapped...so I won two really nice posters...possibly knicknacks.


If you decide to open them, try to get an audio recording of that sweet sound of tearing shrink wrap.
I'm sure a few people here would not mind having copies for...ah...posterity! Yeah that's it!
I'm sure that recording would never be used to torment the shrinkwrap fans (fanatics).  :twisted:


Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 5029
Joined: Oct 11, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2017
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:38 pm 
 

Kingofpain89 wrote: When a new version of something comes out you usually see a greater interest in what came before.  New Coke came out and everybody wanted the old Coke.  :wink:


Honestly John, did you ever taste New Coke?  :o
It was NOT nostalgia that brought Old Coke back..............


"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7969
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Nov 23, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:57 pm 
 

Aneoth wrote:
Honestly John, did you ever taste New Coke?  :o
It was NOT nostalgia that brought Old Coke back..............


New Coke was one of the huge marketing blunders of the century.  Malcom Gladwell has an entire chapter about it in his excellent book "The Tipping Point".  Essentially, Coke started doing taste tests of a new formula they had dreamed up, which was sweeter and not quite as tart as regular Coke.  The taste tests got rave reviews, and the company went ahead with moving to the new formula.

Only...they made one mistake. The mixture tasted great in "sips", but since it was so sweet, it tasted awful if you tried to drink an entire can (much less several cans one after another).  Unfortunately no one bothered to do any taste tests with entire cans...and so when the product was released, it blew like a hurricaine.   Aneoth is right it tasted awful, I remember drinking maybe one and then vowing to switch to Dr. Pepper or Mr. Pibb.  Sales went into the toilet. The rest is history!

Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 450
Joined: Jun 24, 2007
Last Visit: Sep 17, 2012
Location: UK

Post Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:38 pm 
 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Not sure that is the case but possibly.  When a new version of something comes out you usually see a greater interest in what came before.  New Coke came out and everybody wanted the old Coke.  :wink:  

Frankly I have no interest in Mongoose's version of Traveller.  I had no interest in the QLI/RPGRealms or GURPS versions either.  I was looking forward to seeing Marc Miller's new incarnation of Traveller but it has been delayed more times than Duke Nukem Forever (ok maybe not).  And I have no desire to buy a DVD or CD of the rules.  I want books damnit!!!  :wink:


Being a person of close to zero willpower, I've ordered the Traveller rulebook from Mongoose. I'll let you know what it's like. So how many versions of Traveller are there now? And why? The whole point of original Traveller was to read the rules (optional), then ignore most of them and make up your own (obligatory). The real value came in its marvelous supplements and third party add-ons. In the end I stopped using the rulebooks altogether for gaming as my own rules matured and only referred back to the printed stuff when I had a few spare months to spend creating super detailed planets using DGP's Survey and Census of giga-zillions credit squadrons using Book 5 and TCS. A wasted youth and every minute of it was glorious. Mongooses' prices are a bit on the high side, don't you think?

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4750
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: Oct 29, 2021
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:23 pm 
 

Aneoth wrote:
Honestly John, did you ever taste New Coke?  :o
It was NOT nostalgia that brought Old Coke back..............


Yes I did taste New Coke.  It was Pepsi in a red and silver can that said "New Coke" on it.  And the smiley face with the winking eye that I used at the end of my sentence....that means "ha ha, just kidding".

:roll:

Being a person of close to zero willpower, I've ordered the Traveller rulebook from Mongoose. I'll let you know what it's like. So how many versions of Traveller are there now?


Based on several resources which pretty much all match the Traveller wiki page I would assume 8 or 9 different versions.

1. Classic Traveller
2. MegaTraveller
3. Traveller: The New Era
4. Marc Miller's Traveller (T4)
5. GURPS Traveller
6. D20 Traveller
7. Traveller Hero
8. Traveller 5
9. Mongoose Traveller (that just looks goofy)

It also lists GURPS Traveller: Interstellar Wars as another version but I just assumed it was another rulebook for the GURPS version and not a stand alone milieu.  And yeah...$39.95 for a 192-page rulebook is highway robbery.  Mongoose will not be getting my money.


You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:39 pm 
 

oh i nearly forgot...

Tombs of Valla arrived today, looking nice and almost-minty i am told (its at a friends)

not bad for $20

Al



  


Verbose Collector

Posts: 1324
Joined: May 28, 2007
Last Visit: Aug 27, 2011
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada

Post Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:46 pm 
 

Kingofpain89 wrote:It also lists GURPS Traveller: Interstellar Wars as another version but I just assumed it was another rulebook for the GURPS version and not a stand alone milieu.


Interstellar Wars is a stand-alone book.  All the other GURPS Traveller stuff is 3rd edition GURPS, while Interstellar Wars is set several thousand years earlier and is for 4th edition.

And yeah...$39.95 for a 192-page rulebook is highway robbery.  Mongoose will not be getting my money.


Yeah, sounds about right for Mongoose.  Their prices tend to be on the high side.


"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 02, 2021

Post Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:01 am 
 

grodog wrote:
I can always trade you non-shrinked copies of them for the shrink ones, Mark :D


I'm actually considering it.


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 02, 2021

Post Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:05 am 
 

Badmike wrote:
New Coke was one of the huge marketing blunders of the century.  Malcom Gladwell has an entire chapter about it in his excellent book "The Tipping Point".  
Mike B.


I have a friend who works for Coke.  He has a conspiracy theory about New Coke.

He thinks that Coca Cola used New Coke as a foil...a distraction so that their customers would not notice the switch from Coke made with sugar to Coke made with high fructose corn syrup.  They would be so glad to have Classic Coke back...and feeling so victorious...that they would not notice the switch.

Since I only drink Diet Coke, the point is moot to me...but I have read that Mexican consumers in the US will spend good money to get bottles of Coke made with sugar shipped up from Mexico.

My own personal theory is that the Y2K scare was invented by a government think tank.......the goal was to give conspiracy theorists and nutcases something to worry about in order to distract them from much worse apocalyptic theories and resulting nutty behavior.  

I actually thought that before the clock ticked down to 2000.


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7969
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Nov 23, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:39 am 
 

Badmike wrote:
New Coke was one of the huge marketing blunders of the century.  Malcom Gladwell has an entire chapter about it in his excellent book "The Tipping Point".  Essentially, Coke started doing taste tests of a new formula they had dreamed up, which was sweeter and not quite as tart as regular Coke.  The taste tests got rave reviews, and the company went ahead with moving to the new formula.


Mike B.


Actually, the book was Gladwell's "Blink", not The Tipping Point. Both excellent books, btw.

Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 260
Joined: Feb 25, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 10, 2021

Post Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:54 am 
 

FormCritic wrote:
I have a friend who works for Coke.  He has a conspiracy theory about New Coke.

He thinks that Coca Cola used New Coke as a foil...a distraction so that their customers would not notice the switch from Coke made with sugar to Coke made with high fructose corn syrup.  They would be so glad to have Classic Coke back...and feeling so victorious...that they would not notice the switch.

Since I only drink Diet Coke, the point is moot to me...but I have read that Mexican consumers in the US will spend good money to get bottles of Coke made with sugar shipped up from Mexico.

My own personal theory is that the Y2K scare was invented by a government think tank.......the goal was to give conspiracy theorists and nutcases something to worry about in order to distract them from much worse apocalyptic theories and resulting nutty behavior.  

I actually thought that before the clock ticked down to 2000.


I had this same theory about New Coke, but boy, it cost them a lot of money. I was the nutcase after Classic Coke came back saying, it doesn't taste the same as it used to.

Mexican coke does still have sugar, you can find here in So. Cal. Another good tip is that Coke makes Kosher Coke for Passover and it is also made with Sugar.

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2176
Joined: Jul 25, 2007
Last Visit: Nov 26, 2021
Location: Far Harad, Texas

Post Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:42 am 
 

FormCritic wrote:.but I have read that Mexican consumers in the US will spend good money to get bottles of Coke made with sugar shipped up from Mexico.


It's popular at yuppie bars/restaurants, oft sold from vintage vending machines, as a way to have an otherwise peasant-culture Coke & feel superior about paying double for it.

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4750
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: Oct 29, 2021
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:43 am 
 

FormCritic wrote:I have a friend who works for Coke.  He has a conspiracy theory about New Coke.

He thinks that Coca Cola used New Coke as a foil...a distraction so that their customers would not notice the switch from Coke made with sugar to Coke made with high fructose corn syrup.  They would be so glad to have Classic Coke back...and feeling so victorious...that they would not notice the switch.


It's not a conspiracy theory.  It is truth.  Coke Classic doesnt taste anything like the original Coke.  I know two ex-Coca Cola employees who swear that the whole New Coke/Classic Coke mess was done on purpose to change the formula that traditionally used cane sugar to one that now uses the cheaper corn syrup.  I dont think Coca Cola lost any money during the whole thing either.  Even though a lot of people hated New Coke, there were a whole lot of people that loved it.  When my high school girlfriend's father found out they were discontinuing New Coke and going back to the original, he went and bought two pallets of the stuff and stuck them in his garage.  He was still drinking New Coke well into the 90's.  And when Classic Coke hit the shelves again, the company posted record sales of the stuff.

Of course this is all moot since I rarely drink a soft drink anymore.  All the research linking soft drinks to diabetes, cancer, nervous disorders, etc.  Worse than cigarettes if you ask me.  And diet drinks are worse.  Splenda, Nutra-Sweet, and all the other artificial sweetners are just as bad.


You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2737
Joined: May 31, 2007
Last Visit: Mar 22, 2021

Post Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:09 am 
 

aspartame! yum yum cancer-causing goodness.


Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

  


Verbose Collector

Posts: 1324
Joined: May 28, 2007
Last Visit: Aug 27, 2011
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada

Post Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:35 am 
 

Kingofpain89 wrote:It's not a conspiracy theory.  It is truth.  Coke Classic doesnt taste anything like the original Coke.  I know two ex-Coca Cola employees who swear that the whole New Coke/Classic Coke mess was done on purpose to change the formula that traditionally used cane sugar to one that now uses the cheaper corn syrup.


It's a good conspiracy theory, except it falls apart since Coca Cola had already switched to corn syrup before New Coke was ever released. :wink:


"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 56 of 114123 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 112113114