The former Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 55 of 114123 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 112113114
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:49 pm 

I sure was happy with this price:

Megatraveller Starship Operators Manual Vol 1 | eBay

Even though MegaTraveller prices seem to be falling like bricks lately I couldn't win one of these for less than 30 or 40 bucks six months ago.  And if I had checked just a bit earlier I would have picked up a World Builder's Handbook for the same price.  Oh well.  8)

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:49 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:I sure was happy with this price:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Even though MegaTraveller prices seem to be falling like bricks lately I couldn't win one of these for less than 30 or 40 bucks six months ago.  And if I had checked just a bit earlier I would have picked up a World Builder's Handbook for the same price.  Oh well.  8)

Wow, that's a great price.  I suspect the falling Traveller prices lately are due to one or two fanatical buyers who aren't driving the price up, perhaps having purchased everything they need....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:08 pm 

I just received my CoC Beyond the Mountains of Madness (sans map) I bought off-a-d-Bay for ~ $50. Better shape than it seemed, and I think not a bad deal, though I do need to find those freaking map(s). At least I didn't have to spend nearly 4x as much for the ones currently BIN that are available... damn.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:32 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
The FASA published Book of Mars is the more common one.  The rare one has a red cover with yellow lettering and is published by Image Game Company as is seen here.

[ Image ]

It also has all the chapters, where as the white version is missing the last few.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:44 pm 

serleran wrote:I just received my CoC Beyond the Mountains of Madness (sans map) I bought off-a-d-Bay for ~ $50. Better shape than it seemed, and I think not a bad deal, though I do need to find those freaking map(s). At least I didn't have to spend nearly 4x as much for the ones currently BIN that are available... damn.

I'm almost positive that Chaosium sells the maps on their site, but the site's down for BRP shenanigans.

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:15 pm 

MrFilthyIke wrote:I'm almost positive that Chaosium sells the maps on their site, but the site's down for BRP shenanigans.

I'm not certain it's BRP-related shenanigans.

I think that somebody did an update to their software that didn't take as well as it should have, as their site was returning the default "Congratulations on installing Apache" page last night.

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:05 pm 

Chaosium site seems back up, sort of. Did not like working for the shopping...

But, on other things, I did just manage to win an auction I thought would be sniped to hell, so I'll be getting a Necromican and a R'nokks Spellbook, which I really wanted. :) Yay!

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:22 pm 

I received an email from Dustin Wright indicating that the main website had been hacked.
In my reply to him I mentioned that it would be a good idea to post a message to dispel (or confirm) if any customer data was compromised.
There has been a discussion already on one of the yog-sothoth threads about that subject.

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:25 pm 

I finally won a copy of Thieves Guild 2nd Edition for a reasonable price.

I also got a copy of City of Haven in the deal.

Unfortunately, they're both shrinkwrapped...so I won two really nice posters...possibly knicknacks.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:46 pm 

Badmike wrote:I suspect the falling Traveller prices lately are due to one or two fanatical buyers who aren't driving the price up, perhaps having purchased everything they need....

Mike B.

Could it also be the imminent Mongoose (re-)release?

404 Not Found 1

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:45 am 

FormCritic wrote:

Unfortunately, they're both shrinkwrapped...so I won two really nice posters...possibly knicknacks.

Well I am kinda glad that I didnt bid on that auction then.  I was going to but I have spent enough money on games this past month.  But you gotta take it out of the shrinkwrap Mark.  Shrinkwrap is evil.  :twisted:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:54 am 

FormCritic wrote:

I can always trade you non-shrinked copies of them for the shrink ones, Mark :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:58 am 

Eryops wrote:Could it also be the imminent Mongoose (re-)release?

404 Not Found 1

Not sure that is the case but possibly.  When a new version of something comes out you usually see a greater interest in what came before.  New Coke came out and everybody wanted the old Coke.  :wink:  

Frankly I have no interest in Mongoose's version of Traveller.  I had no interest in the QLI/RPGRealms or GURPS versions either.  I was looking forward to seeing Marc Miller's new incarnation of Traveller but it has been delayed more times than Duke Nukem Forever (ok maybe not).  And I have no desire to buy a DVD or CD of the rules.  I want books damnit!!!  :wink:

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:27 am 

FormCritic wrote:Unfortunately, they're both shrinkwrapped...so I won two really nice posters...possibly knicknacks.

If you decide to open them, try to get an audio recording of that sweet sound of tearing shrink wrap.
I'm sure a few people here would not mind having copies for...ah...posterity! Yeah that's it!
I'm sure that recording would never be used to torment the shrinkwrap fans (fanatics).  :twisted:

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:38 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote: When a new version of something comes out you usually see a greater interest in what came before.  New Coke came out and everybody wanted the old Coke.  :wink:

Honestly John, did you ever taste New Coke?  :o
It was NOT nostalgia that brought Old Coke back..............

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:57 pm 

Aneoth wrote:

New Coke was one of the huge marketing blunders of the century.  Malcom Gladwell has an entire chapter about it in his excellent book "The Tipping Point".  Essentially, Coke started doing taste tests of a new formula they had dreamed up, which was sweeter and not quite as tart as regular Coke.  The taste tests got rave reviews, and the company went ahead with moving to the new formula.

Only...they made one mistake. The mixture tasted great in "sips", but since it was so sweet, it tasted awful if you tried to drink an entire can (much less several cans one after another).  Unfortunately no one bothered to do any taste tests with entire cans...and so when the product was released, it blew like a hurricaine.   Aneoth is right it tasted awful, I remember drinking maybe one and then vowing to switch to Dr. Pepper or Mr. Pibb.  Sales went into the toilet. The rest is history!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:38 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Not sure that is the case but possibly.  When a new version of something comes out you usually see a greater interest in what came before.  New Coke came out and everybody wanted the old Coke.  :wink:  

Frankly I have no interest in Mongoose's version of Traveller.  I had no interest in the QLI/RPGRealms or GURPS versions either.  I was looking forward to seeing Marc Miller's new incarnation of Traveller but it has been delayed more times than Duke Nukem Forever (ok maybe not).  And I have no desire to buy a DVD or CD of the rules.  I want books damnit!!!  :wink:

Being a person of close to zero willpower, I've ordered the Traveller rulebook from Mongoose. I'll let you know what it's like. So how many versions of Traveller are there now? And why? The whole point of original Traveller was to read the rules (optional), then ignore most of them and make up your own (obligatory). The real value came in its marvelous supplements and third party add-ons. In the end I stopped using the rulebooks altogether for gaming as my own rules matured and only referred back to the printed stuff when I had a few spare months to spend creating super detailed planets using DGP's Survey and Census of giga-zillions credit squadrons using Book 5 and TCS. A wasted youth and every minute of it was glorious. Mongooses' prices are a bit on the high side, don't you think?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:23 pm 

Aneoth wrote:

Yes I did taste New Coke.  It was Pepsi in a red and silver can that said "New Coke" on it.  And the smiley face with the winking eye that I used at the end of my sentence....that means "ha ha, just kidding".

:roll:

Being a person of close to zero willpower, I've ordered the Traveller rulebook from Mongoose. I'll let you know what it's like. So how many versions of Traveller are there now?

Based on several resources which pretty much all match the Traveller wiki page I would assume 8 or 9 different versions.

1. Classic Traveller
2. MegaTraveller
3. Traveller: The New Era
4. Marc Miller's Traveller (T4)
5. GURPS Traveller
6. D20 Traveller
7. Traveller Hero
8. Traveller 5
9. Mongoose Traveller (that just looks goofy)

It also lists GURPS Traveller: Interstellar Wars as another version but I just assumed it was another rulebook for the GURPS version and not a stand alone milieu.  And yeah...$39.95 for a 192-page rulebook is highway robbery.  Mongoose will not be getting my money.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 55 of 114123 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 112113114