The former Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 50 of 114123 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 112113114
Author

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:08 pm 

lovely buy  8O

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:17 pm 

Badmike wrote:Nan's is the seminal gaming store in Houston.

Very true. In the 1970s, there were three locations. One was in the Galleria next to the theater, so lines to see Star Wars [not 'A New Hope,' not 'Episode 4,' just 'Star Wars'] would slowly cross it. The bootleg lightsabers they displayed in the window were better quality than Kenner's, & they had all these mysterious items called 'role-playing games.' The only comic they stocked was ElfQuest.

In 1987, I traded them Robotech #1 for the OD&D white box + Blackmoor, the beginning of a life-long obsession.

Badmike wrote:My recent trip to HPB in Austin was productive.. a copy of the TSR Lankhmar game

THAT'S where you got it, the one for $140???!!! Dude, I'm there every day. Please don't tell me you found the Geomorphs at HP Austin too. In recent years they have learned to price things up, so I guess they let those items slip. Not like when I found all the OD&D supplements there for $1.48 each.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:06 pm 

sauromatian wrote:
THAT'S where you got it, the one for $140???!!! Dude, I'm there every day. Please don't tell me you found the Geomorphs at HP Austin too. In recent years they have learned to price things up, so I guess they let those items slip. Not like when I found all the OD&D supplements there for $1.48 each.

Actually that one was my personal copy, the one I got in Austin replaced it, that way I could have a nice opened used copy to mess with.  

Austin is usually pretty dry, and like you say they price stuff up.  It's starting to happen in Dallas, also, but in ridiculous ways (i.e. $100 for a Deities and Demigods, $25 Fiend Folios, etc).  As more and more gamers discover what they can get for their items on Ebay, the HPBs become the chosen selling spot of only the trule desperate for money, unfortunately.

Thanks for the info on Nans!  I never knew they had the other locations.  Back in the heydey, we actually had a few local chain game stores in the DFW area, now sadly they are all gone.

One chain was called "Games Plus". In their heydey, they had a store in north Dallas off the hwy, as well as stores in a couple of the malls.  I will always remember them because at once time, many years ago, they heavily ordered MERP stuff yet couldn't sell it (I have never run into a lot of MERP gamers locally).  They had a sale once and marked it all down....to 1/3 the cover price  8O Brand new MERP stuff, including pretty much all the 2nd edition stuff, still in SW (Moria, Arnor, Northern Waste, you name it).  To my regret I only bought a single copy of each, for my own collection. I should have bought it ALL, and put it in a box marked "Do not open until 2007"....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:06 am 

Badmike wrote:Austin is usually pretty dry, and like you say they price stuff up.  It's starting to happen in Dallas, also, but in ridiculous ways (i.e. $100 for a Deities and Demigods, $25 Fiend Folios, etc).

But it's still so erratic. As of yesterday, there was a EX/NM Fiend Folio on the clearance shelf of the Central Austin store, $3. I thought of picking it up, as my copy is a misprint.

Meanwhile, they've apparently acquired a few of the FGU titles that began circulating from the publisher's site at rock-bottom prices last year. Not realizing the current value [or hoping to hold on until they rise again], Merc & the Conan wargame are priced at $15 & $110.

A few years ago, there were a bunch of early 80s D&D basic booklets, in  shredded condition no less, going for $20 each at the Round Rock HPB. I wonder how long those sat on the shelf.

Badmike wrote:Thanks for the info on Nans!  I never knew they had the other locations.

The third might of been just the 80s relocation of the 70s store. It was a mile down Westheimer, & was also located next to a theater [a common marketing strategy]. Is the current location still the Southwest Freeway 59/around Shepherd & Greenbriar?

That one too has had many incarnations, i.e. one location has been renovated to occupy various parts of the building, had partnerships with other entrepeneurs to make it into a mini-mall of fandom, & even suffered other floods in the past.

Old salvaged boxes with waterstains were once a common sight there in the 80s, as were the tales of other previous hoards lost to floodwaters. The freeways of Houston are engineered to become emergency flood drains. Nan's being located there means it will happen time & again.

Perhaps one day a foolhardy band of adventurers will arrive to slay Tiamat Dragon of the Waters. What treasures would they find in her hoard, everything her watery claws have ever claimed: crateloads of Wee Warriors & original B3s, no doubt.

Badmike wrote: they heavily ordered MERP stuff yet couldn't sell it (I have never run into a lot of MERP gamers locally)

That has proven a boon more than once to the opportunistic & unscruptulous collector, meaning me. Briar Toys & Hobbies [further down the Southwest Freeway in the suburbs, & long gone] kept a few lingering items on the shelves in the 80s: The OD&D GDG&H, & an unappealing package of lead miniature spiders that became more-&-more tattered as each kid picked it up & put it back on the shelf.

When I began collecting old stuff, I went back to puchase them, as they had become this icon to me of the long-forgotten detrius of D&D past. That's one store price tag I'll never scrape off, since it's a reminder of its time & place.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:04 am 

I've been trying to snag one of these for almost a year and got it for a lot less than I usually see them sell for!  :D

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:19 pm 

Oddly enough, I just watched an auction for one in what appeared to be fairly good condition finish at $35.

Perhaps the prices for them have finally come down. (Which means I'll actually be able to get one at a reasonable price. :D )

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:45 pm 

g026r wrote:Oddly enough, I just watched an auction for one in what appeared to be fairly good condition finish at $35.

Perhaps the prices for them have finally come down. (Which means I'll actually be able to get one at a reasonable price. :D )

Was that the one that mentioned that it had some highlighted text in it?

Secrets of Tibet

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:58 pm 

Don't think so.  The only reference to highlighting is the standard bit from the blurb on the back:  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:08 am 

jasonw1239 wrote:I've been trying to snag one of these for almost a year and got it for a lot less than I usually see them sell for!  :D

Nice win Jason, I sniped at that for exactly the same price but you beat me to it. Just lost another one by a couple of cents too. Try, try again.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:20 am 

Happy to find The Book of Swords for this price :)

And these two posters too, very happy

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:33 am 

I was watching those posters.  Nice win. :thumright:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:34 am 

lokiwookie wrote:Happy to find The Book of Swords for this price :)

That looks like a really nice copy too - and a first print.  They have been coming out of the wooodwork a little bit lately.  I couldn't find one for a few years but there have been 3 or 4 in the past year.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:40 am 

Nice finds!
Gives me something new to look for...  8O

Secrets of Tibet

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:55 am 

Mars wrote:

That looks like a really nice copy too - and a first print.  

Yes first print and in absolutely mint condition. He stated only good condition some I was afraid it could be writings or staple rust, but nothing, perfect  :lol:

And the posters look great. I am hurry to get them on the wall!

jasonw1239 wrote:
Gives me something new to look for...  8O

You can find one in this lot

I like to buy in Australia because shipping rates are almost the cheapest in the world and AU$ is very low

Last edited by lokiwookie on Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:56 am 

lokiwookie wrote:Happy to find The Book of Swords for this price :)

Great win!  :D

Let mirth prevail!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:50 pm 

Finally got a MERP Umbar for a half decent price. I checked with the Seller and the item is complete.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:33 pm 

Ditto:

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:43 pm 

grodog wrote:Ditto:

I don't understand why the seller wouldn't want to ship worldwide with that lot.  I got 90.00 just for my Ardor from Germany.   In any event, very nice pickup.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 50 of 114123 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 112113114