The former Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 49 of 114123 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 112113114
Author

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:36 am 

That first price seems high for just the softcover  rulebook by itself (without box, map, silhouette counters, etc.)but the price for the 3rd edition hardcover is about average.

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:44 am 

The first one's part of the 1st edition Call of Cthulhu boxed set.

If it's got an "errata and additions" printed on the inside back cover, then it's from a second printing set.  If it doesn't, it's from a first.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:49 am 

aia wrote:ciao folks, again i'd like to hear form you an opinion on 2 chtulhu items i recently bought:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Prices are very high... $30 is for a complete 1st ed boxed set in VG shape.
and you can find the 3rd HB UK edition for 1-5£ in UK, I bought mine for 0.99... and with the new USPS prices, it is more interesting to buy in Europe...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:28 am 

I picked up a hardcover Cthulu book like that last fall for $6 on Ebay too.  It was local so no shipping.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:22 am 

Great start to your collection of rares Center :)   Great win

I was watching that one but forgot to bid :?   I really just wanted the yellow folder anyhow.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:45 am 

Oh, yeah, I watched that one too, but didn't bid because I don't care for those too much. That said, I did just get Alma Mater for $20.00 so I hope that was good.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:43 pm 

I am very happy with some of my last finds that I received recently :)

ANKH (Adventurers of the North)

Through dungeons deep

Nice lot with Knight and magick in mint condition in it

and Land of the rising sun

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:59 pm 

I just picked up a copy of Avalon Hill's Yellowstone for $3 at the local second hand store. I thought it may be similar to Outdoor Survival.

In fact it is a herding game!!! where you move roaming livestock from summer to winter pasturage. Perhaps they will release a new edition called Brokeback Mountain!

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:58 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:I just picked up a copy of Avalon Hill's Yellowstone for $3 at the local second hand store. I thought it may be similar to Outdoor Survival.

with reference to outdoor survival, i have recently seen a fine copy of this game going for roughly 6 bucks... is it normal or this was really a nice finding?

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:34 am 

Outdoor survival is quite a common title and I would say that $5 - $6 is the average price for a fine copy. I actually bought one for $2!

It is listed on The Acaeum HERE as of course OD&D was inspired by this game.

No serious D&D collector should be without a copy!  PDT_Armataz_01_22

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:35 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:Great start to your collection of rares Center :)   Great win

I was watching that one but forgot to bid :?   I really just wanted the yellow folder anyhow.

Yes, nice win - all I really wanted was the yellow folder too.  Does this mean you are going to be venturing into the nonTSR D&D realm of collectibles?

I recently picked up a Spawn of Fashan, Kabal and Alma Mater for some good prices.  I bought Alma Mater for $25 shipping included which I think (like Serleran) is a reasonable price - NK has had one sitting in their store for $45.  The two recent purchases that I am excited about are:

and

The first is a Canadian Produced T&T or generic adventure from 1979 - one day my Canadian D&D page will get put up.  BTW Alma Mater is Canadian produced as well.   The second is a recently produced game that the designer is selling through Ebay.  For $20 (shipping included) you can't go wrong - you even get 2 large sets of dice.  Each dice set contains: d4, 6d6, d8, d10, d12, 3d20, d%, d30.  Who doesn't have enough D30s.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:39 pm 

Mars wrote:

The first is a Canadian Produced T&T or generic adventure from 1979 - one day my Canadian D&D page will get put up.

very nice  :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:55 pm 

HermitFromPluto wrote:Outdoor survival is quite a common title and I would say that $5 - $6 is the average price for a fine copy. I actually bought one for $2!

It is listed on The Acaeum HERE as of course OD&D was inspired by this game.

No serious D&D collector should be without a copy!  PDT_Armataz_01_22

I took a class in college on wilderness survival and playing the game was part of the curriculum.

"We were put on this Earth to fart around."
                            - Kurt Vonnegut

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:42 am 

The Half-Price Books in Houston were all busts, but I did visit the legendary Nan's and found Gamescience's Tegel Manor with theGM map, two player's maps, 1995 Gamescience catalog, and Gamescience's change-of-address notice.  It was unpriced, so I got it for $5.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:27 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:The Half-Price Books in Houston were all busts, but I did visit the legendary Nan's and found Gamescience's Tegel Manor with theGM map, two player's maps, 1995 Gamescience catalog, and Gamescience's change-of-address notice.  It was unpriced, so I got it for $5.

A funny story about Nans....

Nan's is the seminal gaming store in Houston. Big piles of boxes lots of selection, tons of old stuff crammed into shelves.  I first started going there about 15 years ago, when it was still able to pull out SW 1st edition D&D modules from boxes for cover price...multiple copies, at that.  Everytime you went in, there was a new selection of goodies.

Like many old gaming stores, they had heaps and stacks of boxes in the back, and rumors went wild at what they contained. Almost certainly more SW old D&D stuff, not to mention other OOP games (I once found large sets of the original Traveller supplements at Nans, multiple copies in NM condition).  However, the policy was not to let anyone in the back to look around, ever, as I did ask several times...once after I spent about $1000 there  and flat out told them I would be willing to spend much, much more if there was anything in the back I could use.  The answer was always "We'll put it out when we get the time".

I'll never understand the reluctance of stores of this type to set items out that would sell, or let interested buyers look around in the back, particularly when there was no "up-pricing"involved, as they simply sold everything at cover.  This decision came back to haunt them...a few years ago, intense flooding in Houston (Rita related I believe) caused the back of the store to be swamped....destroying all the back store items completely.  Reportedly dumpsters full of waterlogged, ruined goodies were tossed in the aftermath.

Nans is now a much less cluttered place..the destruction of the back stock allowed them to better store a lot of stuff, and the place is much clearer and cleaner inside (they even expanded and opened up one of the back rooms to display more stuff, as the storage space was now clear). Unfortunately, there is no longer any hope of picking up like new OOP goodies.  Kind of a sad story...

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:00 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:The Half-Price Books in Houston were all busts, but I did visit the legendary Nan's and found Gamescience's Tegel Manor with theGM map, two player's maps, 1995 Gamescience catalog, and Gamescience's change-of-address notice.  It was unpriced, so I got it for $5.

My recent trip to HPB in Austin was productive.  A D&D Cyclopedia (beautiful shape), a copy of the TSR Lankhmar game, TSR's Knights of Camelot, D&D Eastern and Western Trail Maps, MERP sourcebooks Elves and Treasures of Middle Earth, all $5-$9 bucks each.  Found some great breakfast tacos at Taco XPress, but I'm not reselling those... :D

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:48 pm 

Not a game item, but a nice find that I snagged with a minimum bid.
These items and the Baedeker guides usually go for a lot more.
I plan on using it for reference material for a 1920's Call of Cthulhu campaign.

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:52 pm 

GMTA, Jason---I've also snagged Baedeker guides for use in my CoC games :D :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 49 of 114123 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 112113114