The former Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 36 of 114123 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 112113114
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:55 pm 

Marlith wrote:Referring to Starship by Aldiss I would presume.

Major-league spoiler title for the US market: published as "Non-Stop" in the UK.

Yep, that'll do for one... (Watch out for those telepathic mice, Mr. Adams).

=
Since we're on Tri Tac, how about Stalking the Night Fantastic for another pseudo-film connection?

** expired/removed eBay auction **

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:58 pm 

faro wrote:Since we're on Tri Tac, how about Stalking the Night Fantastic for another pseudo-film connection?

hey i got one of them ages ago - quite a cool item imo!

:)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:12 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:

Al

Yes. that was a cool item to get. Fringeworthy was the last one of the originals (base games - not modules) I needed. I was trying to get them all spiral bound which I think are the first copies. Even if not those were the originals I bought many moons ago and sold in one of my moments of weakness. I will say that their games were at least part of the incentive for some well known movies or TV shows.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:22 pm 

faro wrote:Major-league spoiler title for the US market

No kidding ... nothing liking using the title to give away a major plot point. :)

There's been a reprint here in the States, though, using the "proper" title. Still in stock at Amazon, as of this writing:

Non-stop

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:00 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:

Al

Hey whats up with Tri-Tac stuff?  I have seen a few items around and thought they looked interesting, but I thought I read somewhere that they were garbage, so I stayed away.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:49 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Hey whats up with Tri-Tac stuff?  I have seen a few items around and thought they looked interesting, but I thought I read somewhere that they were garbage, so I stayed away.

well i liked it, but then i like anything thats got an interesting cover :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:09 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
well i liked it, but then i like anything thats got an interesting cover :)

Al

I am sort of the same way. It is more for nostalgia that I wanted them. I remember playing the games each once or twice and having a good time (not sure if it was the game or the friends though) and so I bought them. I then sold off stuff years ago and all of the Tri-Tac stuff was victim in the first or second great purge. Now I can check them off my stuff to get back to do list.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:43 pm 

I sold a Fringeworthy a while back. I think it might have been a 1st. It was bagged IIRC.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:03 pm 

Marlith wrote:If not Starship is there another one?

Ward has stated that Starship (aka Non-stop) was his inspiration for MA:
Dragonsfoot • View topic - Q&A with James M. Ward

However, Starship (by Brian Aldiss) is itself a "re-imagining" of Orphans of the Sky by Robert Heinlen.

From an Amazon review:
The concept of a self-sustaining starship on a multi-generational voyage where things go tragically awry is not a new one. Heinlein's "Universe" (reissued as "Orphans of the Sky") goes back to 1941, and Aldiss uses much of Heinlein's plot and even his terminology in "Starship".

Starship: Brian W. Aldiss: 9780380002269: Amazon.com: Books

Somewhere I read that Aldiss was dissatisfied with Heinlen's characterization in Orphans. Hence his re-write. I enjoyed each book, but would recommend reading Orphans first.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:48 pm 

zhowar wrote:
Starship: Brian W. Aldiss: 9780380002269: Amazon.com: Books

Somewhere I read that Aldiss was dissatisfied with Heinlen's characterization in Orphans. Hence his re-write. I enjoyed each book, but would recommend reading Orphans first.

Aldiss is phps closer to MA, IMO: no telepathic mice in Heinlein, IIRC. *g*

(Heinlein's social struggle focus isn't that far off Wilcox's 'The Voyage That Lasted 600 Years', published the year before (1940) in Amazing. But since Heinlein wrote for Astounding in those days, that wasn't a problem. ;)
Wilcox used the same twist-in-the-tail that van Vogt borrowed later, too...).

Hmm... looks like the latest release of Non-Stop has been revised by Aldiss to remove the dodgy 1950s science. I wonder how that will look in another 50 years time... :)

=
[*edits on a couple of MGRs by way of "fun-finds"*]

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:20 pm 

Well, this isn't on the scale of the 2nd woody she found, but my wife came home yesterday with yet another treasure.
I've been going through my extras to list them, and I came across a 2E Complete Fighter's and Thief's Handbooks bagged together. I put them into a "to be checked" pile, and my wife saw them. She commented that she had gotten them for me last year at a little book store and left them on my Sort pile, but she actually left them on the Trade pile by mistake. She claims she paid $5 for them. Considering she pinches a penny till Lincoln begs for mercy, I have to believe her. Not a great haul, until I unbagged the two and out falls a brown Ringbearer!
I swear, if she tried, she MIGHT be able to crap an ST1. I should send her over to the UK for a week. Or to Detroit.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:09 pm 

faro wrote: (Heinlein's social struggle focus isn't that far off Wilcox's 'The Voyage That Lasted 600 Years', published the year before (1940) in Amazing. But since Heinlein wrote for Astounding in those days, that wasn't a problem. ;)
Wilcox used the same twist-in-the-tail that van Vogt borrowed later, too...).

Thanks for this info! It looks like TVTL600Y was re-printed in a collection ('Skylife') in 2000, so I should be able to track it down (40 used copies on Amazon starting at $0.40...)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:40 pm 

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:36 pm 

nice one!

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:58 pm 

yes, I did email him to see if he sent overseas but got no reply, look like he is just liquidating rpg items, interested in some of it..of well his loss I guess..

Brette:)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:21 am 

This just arrived in the mail:

Its a tournament module used at Michicon IX, 1980 and officially approved by the Metro Detroit Gamers.  It looks and feels like it was produced the same way Fazzlewood was - the typed font is the same, etc.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:13 pm 

That tourney item looks like a neat little item.  Pretty much anything from MDG is likely to be worth something simply due to reasonance with Tsojconth and Fazzlewood.  The price looks really good, probably would have gone for a few times that if it had been cited here.  Congrats...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:16 pm 

Mars wrote:This just arrived in the mail:

Its a tournament module used at Michicon IX, 1980 and officially approved by the Metro Detroit Gamers.  It looks and feels like it was produced the same way Fazzlewood was - the typed font is the same, etc.

Yes I agree, that is a cool win Mark. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 36 of 114123 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 112113114