The former Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 4 of 10312, 3, 4, 5 ... 101102103
Author


Prolific Collector

Posts: 482
Joined: May 12, 2005
Last Visit: Jul 22, 2021

Post Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:13 pm 
 

I can't vouch for the Sailor Moon RPG, but the Hercules & Xena RPG was actually pretty cool (N.B.: I worked for West End at the time it was produced, and the writers are friends of mine). It totally captures the tongue-in-cheek anachronistic sword & sorcery world of the television shows with a very neat game system. The system is essentially a variant of the Star Wars D6 system, dumbed down for a younger, less game-savvy audience (it was similar to the D6 variant used in the DC Universe RPG).

Slick production and a pretty sweet game system. It has a system of feats that is much better than the d20 version (and predated it by some time, too), though I think the new edition of D6 takes the system too far...

I ran several very fun pick-up games of H&X, including one in which the heroes thought they were rescuing a young Alexander and his mentor, Aristotle. They were described as a "young gangly prince and his white-haired teacher, who spouts strange words that no one understands. They drive an unusual chariot." Of course, it was actually Marty McFly and Doc Brown with the time-travelling DeLorean... :)


James

*************
James Mishler
James Mishler Games

  


Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5643
Joined: Nov 16, 2002
Last Visit: Jul 25, 2021
Location: Wichita, KS, USA

Post Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:57 pm 
 

I haven't played either game, but I was also about to leap to WEG's defense, James.  

Guardians Of Order (GOO for short) publish the Sailor Moon rpg, as well as several other rpgs based on licensed anime serieses (and non-anime stuff, like Game of Thrones from George R. R. Martin and the recent re-release of Tekumel).  Back in 1999 they also bought the game company I'd helped found (though they mangled our systems using their TriStat stuff instead of using our systems).


Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

 WWW  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4750
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: May 05, 2021
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:54 pm 
 

jamesmishler wrote:I can't vouch for the Sailor Moon RPG, but the Hercules & Xena RPG was actually pretty cool (N.B.: I worked for West End at the time it was produced, and the writers are friends of mine). It totally captures the tongue-in-cheek anachronistic sword & sorcery world of the television shows with a very neat game system. The system is essentially a variant of the Star Wars D6 system, dumbed down for a younger, less game-savvy audience (it was similar to the D6 variant used in the DC Universe RPG).

Slick production and a pretty sweet game system. It has a system of feats that is much better than the d20 version (and predated it by some time, too), though I think the new edition of D6 takes the system too far...

I ran several very fun pick-up games of H&X, including one in which the heroes thought they were rescuing a young Alexander and his mentor, Aristotle. They were described as a "young gangly prince and his white-haired teacher, who spouts strange words that no one understands. They drive an unusual chariot." Of course, it was actually Marty McFly and Doc Brown with the time-travelling DeLorean... :)


Ok, ok...  I guess there is nothing in this world that a person can make fun of that someone else won't take a bit of offense to.  At least Xena/Hercules has an ancient/fantasy bent to it.  That at least I can understand and deal with.  But if you think for one second that I would sit across the table with a bunch of other people playing Sailor Moon and yell "Moon Tiara Power" when it was my turn to attack...you got another thing coming.  :P

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7960
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jul 24, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:10 pm 
 

KingOfPain wrote:
Ok, ok... I guess there is nothing in this world that a person can make fun of that someone else won't take a bit of offense to. At least Xena/Hercules has an ancient/fantasy bent to it. That at least I can understand and deal with. But if you think for one second that I would sit across the table with a bunch of other people playing Sailor Moon and yell "Moon Tiara Power" when it was my turn to attack...you got another thing coming. :P


From what my goddaughter tells me (a huge teenage anime fan), the Sailor Moon roleplayers consist almost solely of girls, and a few guys who are either boyfriends of the girls playing or guys hoping to score with with some of the girls playing.  No man plays this game willingly.

Mike B.

 WWW  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4750
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: May 05, 2021
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:06 pm 
 

Badmike wrote:
KingOfPain wrote:
Ok, ok... I guess there is nothing in this world that a person can make fun of that someone else won't take a bit of offense to. At least Xena/Hercules has an ancient/fantasy bent to it. That at least I can understand and deal with. But if you think for one second that I would sit across the table with a bunch of other people playing Sailor Moon and yell "Moon Tiara Power" when it was my turn to attack...you got another thing coming. :P


From what my goddaughter tells me (a huge teenage anime fan), the Sailor Moon roleplayers consist almost solely of girls, and a few guys who are either boyfriends of the girls playing or guys hoping to score with with some of the girls playing. No man plays this game willingly.

Mike B.


At least not without downing a large quantity of beer.  :D   To be honest with you....I love cartoons and I love anime but this Japanimation stuff can be very disturbing.  Maybe it is just me but if you have thirty minutes of your life to kill, sit down and watch an episode of Sailor Moon, Pokemon, Dragonball Z or other.  I dont know what it is but even though the dialogue is usually horrible and the plot makes no sense whatsoever, you cannot pull away from the screen.  It is almost hypnotic.  If I hadnt had a nympho ex-girlfriend that liked watching Sailor Moon, I might have never understood (it was the Sailor Mars outfit she liked to wear...the tramp.  :oops: ).  My niece and nephew would beg me to watch Pokemon with them and afterwards realized that I knew all the names to the different Pokemon creatures and actually cared if they won or lost.  It is as if they were broadcasting subliminal messages to make us watch these damn shows.  Maybe there is a support group I can go to for this problem.  Damn you to Hell you bastards!!!  :x

Back on topic.  So Mike....when are you going to develop that Buffy the Vampire Slayer RPG?  :wink:

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 482
Joined: May 12, 2005
Last Visit: Jul 22, 2021

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:08 pm 
 

KingOfPain wrote:Back on topic. So Mike....when are you going to develop that Buffy the Vampire Slayer RPG? :wink:


Too late... :)

http://www.btvsrpg.com/


James

*************
James Mishler
James Mishler Games

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7960
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jul 24, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:58 pm 
 

jamesmishler wrote:
KingOfPain wrote:Back on topic. So Mike....when are you going to develop that Buffy the Vampire Slayer RPG? :wink:


Too late... :)

http://www.btvsrpg.com/


Heeeheee, you got beaten to the punch King.  I'm a huge Buffy/Angel fan, I have all the seasons on DVD, but I've heard the RPG is pretty terrible.  Anyone yeh or nay on this?
 Is there a good RPG based on a TV show that isn't Star Trek?  Anyone played the Babylon Five game?  

Mike B.

 WWW  


Active Collector

Posts: 10
Joined: Jun 17, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 15, 2007
Location: Orange County, California

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:27 am 
 

Badmike wrote:Heeeheee, you got beaten to the punch King. I'm a huge Buffy/Angel fan, I have all the seasons on DVD, but I've heard the RPG is pretty terrible. Anyone yeh or nay on this?
Is there a good RPG based on a TV show that isn't Star Trek? Anyone played the Babylon Five game?

Mike B.



I dunno... I saw the Dallas rpg listed recently, and the He-Man and the MotU one a week or two ago, but I have never heard anything good about either. Ditto for Pirates of Dark Water, an rpg that sank faster than The Clowns of Justice did on TV.

I haven't looked through the Jeremiah rpg... never seen the show either.


Mortdred

  


Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5643
Joined: Nov 16, 2002
Last Visit: Jul 25, 2021
Location: Wichita, KS, USA

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:19 am 
 

The Chameleon Eclectic B5 rpg was pretty lame, but I haven't checked out the Mongoose version yet:  at least it looks good, and like a real licensed product should look (unlike the original version).  I can't think of any other TV show rpgs that were any good, offhand (I don't think Dune counts, since it was a movie first, of course).  

Anyone checked out Stargate??


Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 6075
Joined: May 03, 2003
Last Visit: Jul 19, 2021
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:00 pm 
 

The Babylon 5 RPG may not be so good but I really like the Component Game System for Babylon 5.  Its a fun battle type board game.  Some of the rarer expansions like the Shadows and Vorlon sets sell for quite a bit on Ebay too.

 WWW  


Active Collector

Posts: 20
Joined: Mar 30, 2005
Last Visit: Mar 28, 2020
Location: Chicago suburbs

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:08 am 
 

Badmike wrote:
jamesmishler wrote:
Too late... :)

http://www.btvsrpg.com/


Heeeheee, you got beaten to the punch King. I'm a huge Buffy/Angel fan, I have all the seasons on DVD, but I've heard the RPG is pretty terrible. Anyone yeh or nay on this?

Hey, Mike. I have both the Buffy RPG and the Angel RPG and I don't think they're that bad at all. They are both run by the same basic system, only Angel is a bit darker in mood. Both run on a simple skill system. Also, the core rulebooks and sourcebooks are visually attractive, with nice color pictures.

I was running a short horror campaign using Call of Cthulhu d20 and it really seemed to be dragging, so I switched the campaign to Buffy and it picked up right away because the game wasn't as detail driven as d20.

If you see one in a game store, at least give it a thumb-through.


Finarvyn
Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
D&D Player Since 1975

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 752
Joined: Jun 29, 2005
Last Visit: Aug 09, 2020
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada, eh?

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:55 am 
 

One of the owners of a FLGS here runs a Buffy game at regular game days, and it's always packed. The story is told with a set group of characters, and people pick one of those characters as they show up - it's a neat way to do it, and leads to some hilarious stuff. I played one game, and it was actually a lot of fun.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7960
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jul 24, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:37 pm 
 

Finarvyn wrote:
Badmike wrote:
Heeeheee, you got beaten to the punch King. I'm a huge Buffy/Angel fan, I have all the seasons on DVD, but I've heard the RPG is pretty terrible. Anyone yeh or nay on this?

Hey, Mike. I have both the Buffy RPG and the Angel RPG and I don't think they're that bad at all. They are both run by the same basic system, only Angel is a bit darker in mood. Both run on a simple skill system. Also, the core rulebooks and sourcebooks are visually attractive, with nice color pictures.

I was running a short horror campaign using Call of Cthulhu d20 and it really seemed to be dragging, so I switched the campaign to Buffy and it picked up right away because the game wasn't as detail driven as d20.

If you see one in a game store, at least give it a thumb-through.


Cool, I'll give it a looksee then when I get the chance.  Actually, both shows were pretty dark in places, the ending to the Angel TV show might have been one of the darkest endings ever to an established network show.  BTVS had it's share of pathos and lots of major character deaths (Buffy's mom, Tara, Buffy herself, etc), so even though it's no Call of Cthulhu universal insanity damnation type world, it might be interesting to play, so I'll check it out.

Mike B.

 WWW  


Collector

Posts: 7
Joined: Sep 07, 2004
Last Visit: Jul 12, 2005
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:29 pm 
 

I just picked an old almost-D&D module at a local gaming store called "Pyramid of Light", by Kathleen Pettigrew.

The blurb says "This adventure was originally designed for and run as an AD&D tournament scenario at GenCon XIV Convention. TSR Hobbies, Inc. has informed us, however, that to publish it in its original form would violate their copyright. Therefore, with the assistance of Graydon Gorby, I have re-designed the adventure to be generic, ..."

No price anywhere on it, so it may have come inside another set. 10 pages, cardstock paper, 4-color front cover and foldout, I.C.E. Spell Law ad on the back cover. Anyone know who published this? (GenCon XIV is 1981).

  


Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5643
Joined: Nov 16, 2002
Last Visit: Jul 25, 2021
Location: Wichita, KS, USA

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:29 pm 
 

Greg, I'd love to get some more details on this:  can you please give more details (if any) about the tourney, whether it was set in GH, etc.?  I'd love to add the details to my Tourney History page @ Greyhawk's Tournament History


Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

 WWW  


Collector

Posts: 7
Joined: Sep 07, 2004
Last Visit: Jul 12, 2005
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:29 am 
 

I'll work on getting you a cover scan when I get home today.

The tourney is very short, exploring a pyramid to get an artifact to stop a plague of madness. Fight some critters, answer the gynosphynx's riddles. It's hard to tell if this was ever set in Greyhawk, as there's not a lot to go on. The plague is in the nation of "Bel-vedere", possible wordplay on King Belvor of Furyondy. Location of the pyramid is only given as "a desert to the south" and "a 20 days journey", so maybe the Bright Desert.

No publisher listed, no price, no date. Googling on "Graydon Gorby" did pick up a few hits of a guy still involved in RPGs, though I haven't tried to contact him. "Kathleen Pettigrew" is a more common name, and google gives nothing useful.

  


Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1043
Joined: Jan 06, 2004
Last Visit: Jul 01, 2020
Location: Leicester, UK

Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:19 am 
 

I'm not an expert on RQ.  But this looked like an early version.  But this one got away, despite the win.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 5210742469

I got a note from the PO to say that they tried to deliver this. But I was out and the package was too big for the letter box. So, I went to the sorting office to collect it.

But now they say they have lost it! And I've got to jump through several hoops to claim back the money :evil:

  


Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1043
Joined: Jan 06, 2004
Last Visit: Jul 01, 2020
Location: Leicester, UK

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:35 am 
 

johnhuck wrote:I'm not an expert on RQ. But this looked like an early version. But this one got away, despite the win.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 5210742469

I got a note from the PO to say that they tried to deliver this. But I was out and the package was too big for the letter box. So, I went to the sorting office to collect it.

But now they say they have lost it! And I've got to jump through several hoops to claim back the money :evil:

Wow!   The PO managed to find it.  They have redeemed themselves. :D

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:35 am 
 

johnhuck wrote:But now they say they have lost it! And I've got to jump through several hoops to claim back the money :evil:

Wow!  The PO managed to find it. They have redeemed themselves. :D[/quote]

well done mate :) i have had that a few times where i have claimed and been refunded by them and then the items are returned too :D

Al



  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:10 pm 
 

johnhuck wrote:Wow!  The PO managed to find it. They have redeemed themselves. :D

That doesn't happen very often... Good to hear! :D
Like Al said, did you have your refund in progress, too?

Always better when stuff doesn't get lost in transit in the first place. :?

  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 4 of 10312, 3, 4, 5 ... 101102103