The former Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 4 of 11412, 3, 4, 5 ... 112113114
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:00 pm 

Alan Moore Fan Site

and

Blather: The Alan Moore Interview: V for Vendetta

might help to track down the details.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:47 pm 

wahay!!! :D

thanks very much Mike and Allan - top guys ! :)

now i have the comic set, will be fun now to look out for the warrior mags - give me something to look for other than everything judges guild :D

cheers

Al

ps. mike...do you have any warrior mags? lemme know chummer....

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:31 pm 

I'm pretty happy with this... Just received my package the other day. Decent price, and everything's there and in pretty dang good shape. Not mint, but definitely good

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... T&rd=1

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:16 pm 

Thought ya were selling up, Burnie Bros? ;)
(Or did I ask that, before?).

The Apprentice #4 & 5, $3;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5980405229

FGU's "Down Styphon!" from the same seller, tomorrow, would be a decent "fun find" at about that price, IMO... (is currently at 59 cents *g*).

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:34 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 61674&rd=1

I dont know about the rest of you, but I started foaming at the mouth when I saw this.  I dont know what makes me want to puke more....this thing or:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

I guess game companies figure they can make an RPG out of anything nowadays.  In that case, I wonder who has the licenses for "Jay and Silent Bob" and the "Beavis and Butthead" RPG's.  Now that I think about it, I would actually buy one of those.  :D

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:53 pm 

KingOfPain wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 61674&rd=1

I dont know about the rest of you, but I started foaming at the mouth when I saw this. I dont know what makes me want to puke more....this thing or:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

I guess game companies figure they can make an RPG out of anything nowadays. In that case, I wonder who has the licenses for "Jay and Silent Bob" and the "Beavis and Butthead" RPG's. Now that I think about it, I would actually buy one of those. :D

I know what you mean, but what bothers me more is when things that are not RPGs are labelled as such.  Pretty much any "fantasy" genre computer game gets billed as an RPG, even when no actual role playing occurs.

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:13 pm 

I can't vouch for the Sailor Moon RPG, but the Hercules & Xena RPG was actually pretty cool (N.B.: I worked for West End at the time it was produced, and the writers are friends of mine). It totally captures the tongue-in-cheek anachronistic sword & sorcery world of the television shows with a very neat game system. The system is essentially a variant of the Star Wars D6 system, dumbed down for a younger, less game-savvy audience (it was similar to the D6 variant used in the DC Universe RPG).

Slick production and a pretty sweet game system. It has a system of feats that is much better than the d20 version (and predated it by some time, too), though I think the new edition of D6 takes the system too far...

I ran several very fun pick-up games of H&X, including one in which the heroes thought they were rescuing a young Alexander and his mentor, Aristotle. They were described as a "young gangly prince and his white-haired teacher, who spouts strange words that no one understands. They drive an unusual chariot." Of course, it was actually Marty McFly and Doc Brown with the time-travelling DeLorean... :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:57 pm 

I haven't played either game, but I was also about to leap to WEG's defense, James.  

Guardians Of Order (GOO for short) publish the Sailor Moon rpg, as well as several other rpgs based on licensed anime serieses (and non-anime stuff, like Game of Thrones from George R. R. Martin and the recent re-release of Tekumel).  Back in 1999 they also bought the game company I'd helped found (though they mangled our systems using their TriStat stuff instead of using our systems).

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:54 pm 

jamesmishler wrote:I can't vouch for the Sailor Moon RPG, but the Hercules & Xena RPG was actually pretty cool (N.B.: I worked for West End at the time it was produced, and the writers are friends of mine). It totally captures the tongue-in-cheek anachronistic sword & sorcery world of the television shows with a very neat game system. The system is essentially a variant of the Star Wars D6 system, dumbed down for a younger, less game-savvy audience (it was similar to the D6 variant used in the DC Universe RPG).

Slick production and a pretty sweet game system. It has a system of feats that is much better than the d20 version (and predated it by some time, too), though I think the new edition of D6 takes the system too far...

I ran several very fun pick-up games of H&X, including one in which the heroes thought they were rescuing a young Alexander and his mentor, Aristotle. They were described as a "young gangly prince and his white-haired teacher, who spouts strange words that no one understands. They drive an unusual chariot." Of course, it was actually Marty McFly and Doc Brown with the time-travelling DeLorean... :)

Ok, ok...  I guess there is nothing in this world that a person can make fun of that someone else won't take a bit of offense to.  At least Xena/Hercules has an ancient/fantasy bent to it.  That at least I can understand and deal with.  But if you think for one second that I would sit across the table with a bunch of other people playing Sailor Moon and yell "Moon Tiara Power" when it was my turn to attack...you got another thing coming.  :P

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:10 pm 

KingOfPain wrote:
Ok, ok... I guess there is nothing in this world that a person can make fun of that someone else won't take a bit of offense to. At least Xena/Hercules has an ancient/fantasy bent to it. That at least I can understand and deal with. But if you think for one second that I would sit across the table with a bunch of other people playing Sailor Moon and yell "Moon Tiara Power" when it was my turn to attack...you got another thing coming. :P

From what my goddaughter tells me (a huge teenage anime fan), the Sailor Moon roleplayers consist almost solely of girls, and a few guys who are either boyfriends of the girls playing or guys hoping to score with with some of the girls playing.  No man plays this game willingly.

Mike B.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:06 pm 

Badmike wrote:
KingOfPain wrote:
Ok, ok... I guess there is nothing in this world that a person can make fun of that someone else won't take a bit of offense to. At least Xena/Hercules has an ancient/fantasy bent to it. That at least I can understand and deal with. But if you think for one second that I would sit across the table with a bunch of other people playing Sailor Moon and yell "Moon Tiara Power" when it was my turn to attack...you got another thing coming. :P

From what my goddaughter tells me (a huge teenage anime fan), the Sailor Moon roleplayers consist almost solely of girls, and a few guys who are either boyfriends of the girls playing or guys hoping to score with with some of the girls playing. No man plays this game willingly.

Mike B.

At least not without downing a large quantity of beer.  :D   To be honest with you....I love cartoons and I love anime but this Japanimation stuff can be very disturbing.  Maybe it is just me but if you have thirty minutes of your life to kill, sit down and watch an episode of Sailor Moon, Pokemon, Dragonball Z or other.  I dont know what it is but even though the dialogue is usually horrible and the plot makes no sense whatsoever, you cannot pull away from the screen.  It is almost hypnotic.  If I hadnt had a nympho ex-girlfriend that liked watching Sailor Moon, I might have never understood (it was the Sailor Mars outfit she liked to wear...the tramp.  :oops: ).  My niece and nephew would beg me to watch Pokemon with them and afterwards realized that I knew all the names to the different Pokemon creatures and actually cared if they won or lost.  It is as if they were broadcasting subliminal messages to make us watch these damn shows.  Maybe there is a support group I can go to for this problem.  Damn you to Hell you bastards!!!  :x

Back on topic.  So Mike....when are you going to develop that Buffy the Vampire Slayer RPG?  :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:08 pm 

KingOfPain wrote:Back on topic. So Mike....when are you going to develop that Buffy the Vampire Slayer RPG? :wink:

Too late... :)

http://www.btvsrpg.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:58 pm 

jamesmishler wrote:
KingOfPain wrote:Back on topic. So Mike....when are you going to develop that Buffy the Vampire Slayer RPG? :wink:

Heeeheee, you got beaten to the punch King.  I'm a huge Buffy/Angel fan, I have all the seasons on DVD, but I've heard the RPG is pretty terrible.  Anyone yeh or nay on this?
 Is there a good RPG based on a TV show that isn't Star Trek?  Anyone played the Babylon Five game?  

Mike B.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:27 am 

Badmike wrote:Heeeheee, you got beaten to the punch King. I'm a huge Buffy/Angel fan, I have all the seasons on DVD, but I've heard the RPG is pretty terrible. Anyone yeh or nay on this?
Is there a good RPG based on a TV show that isn't Star Trek? Anyone played the Babylon Five game?

Mike B.

I dunno... I saw the Dallas rpg listed recently, and the He-Man and the MotU one a week or two ago, but I have never heard anything good about either. Ditto for Pirates of Dark Water, an rpg that sank faster than The Clowns of Justice did on TV.

I haven't looked through the Jeremiah rpg... never seen the show either.

Mortdred

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:19 am 

The Chameleon Eclectic B5 rpg was pretty lame, but I haven't checked out the Mongoose version yet:  at least it looks good, and like a real licensed product should look (unlike the original version).  I can't think of any other TV show rpgs that were any good, offhand (I don't think Dune counts, since it was a movie first, of course).  

Anyone checked out Stargate??

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:00 pm 

The Babylon 5 RPG may not be so good but I really like the Component Game System for Babylon 5.  Its a fun battle type board game.  Some of the rarer expansions like the Shadows and Vorlon sets sell for quite a bit on Ebay too.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:08 am 

Badmike wrote:
jamesmishler wrote:

Heeeheee, you got beaten to the punch King. I'm a huge Buffy/Angel fan, I have all the seasons on DVD, but I've heard the RPG is pretty terrible. Anyone yeh or nay on this?

Hey, Mike. I have both the Buffy RPG and the Angel RPG and I don't think they're that bad at all. They are both run by the same basic system, only Angel is a bit darker in mood. Both run on a simple skill system. Also, the core rulebooks and sourcebooks are visually attractive, with nice color pictures.

I was running a short horror campaign using Call of Cthulhu d20 and it really seemed to be dragging, so I switched the campaign to Buffy and it picked up right away because the game wasn't as detail driven as d20.

If you see one in a game store, at least give it a thumb-through.

Finarvyn
Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
D&D Player Since 1975

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:55 am 

One of the owners of a FLGS here runs a Buffy game at regular game days, and it's always packed. The story is told with a set group of characters, and people pick one of those characters as they show up - it's a neat way to do it, and leads to some hilarious stuff. I played one game, and it was actually a lot of fun.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 4 of 11412, 3, 4, 5 ... 112113114