The former Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 24 of 114123 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 112113114
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 4:40 am 

Don't miss this special french version of Call of Cthulhu, the only one sold with cocktail sticks :lol:
A unique opportunity for roleplaying with style.
Ah ah, des profonds bien sûr, ... wait a little, pick a little sausage with mustard... et je leur tire dessus... :roll:

Tour de France: Sporting Goods | eBay

Did your editions include the same accessories ?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:56 pm 

The companion piece to my earlier crowing...

Avalon Hill's WITCHCRAFT Ritual Kit (to go along with the Black Magic Ritual Kit).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 9515069577

Somehow I'm not surprised that Marcus/Tonya didn't know that it's worth double that at least... nor that the descriptive text is full of unprofessional typos.

Hm, now to find an opened semi-beat BMRK and a shrink'd WRK, so I have one of each to keep and one @ to fool with & sell...

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:13 pm 

ExTSR wrote:Somehow I'm not surprised that Marcus/Tonya didn't know that it's worth double that at least... nor that the descriptive text is full of unprofessional typos.

Well, how could they have divined that without access to an AH Black Magic Ritual Kit? ;)
Hrmm. Anton LaVey's got a lot to answer for...

Had enough crowleying for now, Frank? :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:46 pm 

cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt ... IBSA:AU:31

I was happy to win this lot... most of the games are just inserts from various Dragon and Spacegamer mags, but there was one item I've been looking for for quite some time - Fistful of Turkeys.

FoT was brought out by Metagaming (possibly the last product they produced before folding) and it was done purely to poke fun at Steve Jackson. Steve had left Metagaming and set up his own company, producing pocket games like Ogre and Melee. FoT was supposed to be a parody of the SJG products, for the amusement of Howard Thompson (Metagaming's owner). And it is possibly the very last remaining piece I needed to complete my Metagaming collection.

"Can Billy splat 6 turkeys with his shotgun and escape the coop within the 10 turns it'll take the turkey's gobbling to finish driving him insane?" Classic stuff.

Regards

Mike

Demand of them whither they should comme to devide the worlde with the Emperour? And as they answered, he tooke up his shirte behinde and shewed them his buttocks, sayenge unto them, drawe your Lyne throughe the middest of *this* place.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:58 pm 

Ran across a mint stack of every Villains and Vigilantes supplement today at a used bookstore...since mine all have the character counters cut out, this was a nice find, as well as a nice waste of an afternoon reading through them. Great artwork by Jeff Dee and Bill Willingham, and pretty much all the adventures are top notch.
    This was the superhero game of choice we played every week the entire summer of 1986.  It was perhaps the oddest campaign I have ever ran.  First off, everyone playing had never, and I mean never read a comic book in their life, half the players were from my regular D&D group and half a couple of guys who had never played an RPG in their lives.  The superheros were all weirdo teenagers ages 13-18 with an adult Chess agent running herd on them and trying to keep them out of trouble (sort of My So Called Life mixed with Hill Street Blues and Dirty Harry....they were always killing the villains at the end so they wouldn't come back and be a recurring foe!).  Everyone named their heroes with an eye at poking fun at the genre...it was Raymaster, Mind Master, Ironmaster, Weapon Master and The Master (seriously).  When they weren't scoring chicks in high school, sneaking beers from their parents fridges and taking the family cars out to do doughnuts in the neighbors lawns they were battling all the villains in the Most Wanted Pt. 1 supplement and killing them at the end.  And to top it off we generally played each week with a bottle of Cuervo Gold on the table for shots during game time.  Madness, but great fun!
  We played again the summer of 1990 for a few sessions and it was again inspired lunacy.  The high point was the kids and some hired mercenary heroes killing all the bad guys who had taken over Crusader Citadel, THEN the good guys when they came back and told the kids to get lost.  Raymaster quit the team in disgust when he demanded a salary and found he could make more in the real world working at McDonalds, and Mind Master became the first of the group to lose his virginity (at age 13) to a supervillainess he had tricked into seeing him as a Chippendale's dancer (he wasn't called Mind Master for nothing).  All this and The Master managed to get killed by one of the weakest supervillains ever by a pie in the face that caused him to step in front of a speeding Mack truck and he forgot to turn intangible in time.  Probably one of the greatest campaigns I have ever participated in....!  Long live V&V!!!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:15 am 

Badmike wrote:Ran across a mint stack of every Villains and Vigilantes supplement today at a used bookstore...since mine all have the character counters cut out, this was a nice find, as well as a nice waste of an afternoon reading through them. Great artwork by Jeff Dee and Bill Willingham, and pretty much all the adventures are top notch.
    This was the superhero game of choice we played every week the entire summer of 1986.  It was perhaps the oddest campaign I have ever ran.  First off, everyone playing had never, and I mean never read a comic book in their life, half the players were from my regular D&D group and half a couple of guys who had never played an RPG in their lives.  The superheros were all weirdo teenagers ages 13-18 with an adult Chess agent running herd on them and trying to keep them out of trouble (sort of My So Called Life mixed with Hill Street Blues and Dirty Harry....they were always killing the villains at the end so they wouldn't come back and be a recurring foe!).  Everyone named their heroes with an eye at poking fun at the genre...it was Raymaster, Mind Master, Ironmaster, Weapon Master and The Master (seriously).  When they weren't scoring chicks in high school, sneaking beers from their parents fridges and taking the family cars out to do doughnuts in the neighbors lawns they were battling all the villains in the Most Wanted Pt. 1 supplement and killing them at the end.  And to top it off we generally played each week with a bottle of Cuervo Gold on the table for shots during game time.  Madness, but great fun!
  We played again the summer of 1990 for a few sessions and it was again inspired lunacy.  The high point was the kids and some hired mercenary heroes killing all the bad guys who had taken over Crusader Citadel, THEN the good guys when they came back and told the kids to get lost.  Raymaster quit the team in disgust when he demanded a salary and found he could make more in the real world working at McDonalds, and Mind Master became the first of the group to lose his virginity (at age 13) to a supervillainess he had tricked into seeing him as a Chippendale's dancer (he wasn't called Mind Master for nothing).  All this and The Master managed to get killed by one of the weakest supervillains ever by a pie in the face that caused him to step in front of a speeding Mack truck and he forgot to turn intangible in time.  Probably one of the greatest campaigns I have ever participated in....!  Long live V&V!!!

Mike B.

Very cool story!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:43 am 

I loved the V&V ads in Dragon, but never played.  I've been on the lookout for a set on the cheap for awhile, but haven't made it a priority thus far.  For Jeff Dee fans, he's still around and published a new, updated version of V&V in 2005, now called "Living Legends"---details at IO - The Modular Data Center Technology Leader

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:07 pm 

grodog wrote:I loved the V&V ads in Dragon, but never played.  I've been on the lookout for a set on the cheap for awhile, but haven't made it a priority thus far.  For Jeff Dee fans, he's still around and published a new, updated version of V&V in 2005, now called "Living Legends"---details at IO - The Modular Data Center Technology Leader

Thanks Gro!!!  I'll check that out. Maybe I can get the group going again with the new version.  The V&V system, while having flaws and not that elegant, was far superior (IMO) to the better supported Champions system, which took forever to create characters and combat was often slowed down to a crawl due to extensive numbers.  Plus, the adventures were better and the illustrations of heros/villains by Dee and Willingham were far superior to the stuff put out by Champions. (I also forgot Patrick Zirchir, who got his start illustrating V&V stuff and like Willingham does "real" comic books now).   
   The mark of a good game/good group is the legacy. To this day my friends still remember their V&V characters fondly.  Of the two guys that had never played RPGs before, one started gaming and also ended up buying and reading comics, I think he mostly plays SF rpgs now.  The other never played RPGs again, but when I see him every couple of years he still asks whether we are still playing and can recite verbatim EVERY V&V adventure we gamed and what happened to everyone's characters.  The other two players were my brothers who still fondly remember their characters Mind Master and Raymaster and can recite a lot of their exploits from memory even after 20 years.
    BTW, there was a V&V comic book mini series illustrated by Zirchir, it's worth looking up and it's probably dirt cheap these days if you can find it.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:31 pm 

Oh, whoop-de-doo; anyone want a "mint" copy of Starfaring? :P
That's what I get for typing over here instead of watching auctions...

At least I'll have the pleasure of talking with our purveyor of illegally copied CAs again! :roll:

Sorry 'bout that. Stupid auction format... :oops:

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:17 pm 

faro wrote:Oh, whoop-de-doo; anyone want a "mint" copy of Starfaring? :P

At least I'll have the pleasure of talking with our purveyor of illegally copied CAs again! :roll:

Sorry 'bout that. Stupid auction format... :oops:

Who did the copies of CA?

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:18 pm 

grodog wrote:I loved the V&V ads in Dragon, but never played.  I've been on the lookout for a set on the cheap for awhile, but haven't made it a priority thus far.  For Jeff Dee fans, he's still around and published a new, updated version of V&V in 2005, now called "Living Legends"---details at IO - The Modular Data Center Technology Leader

Speaking of V&V...this is a cover I had not seen before. Is this the first printing or did I just overpay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:33 pm 

Marlith wrote:
faro wrote:Oh, whoop-de-doo; anyone want a "mint" copy of Starfaring? :P

Who did the copies of CA?

Same Phyllis as the Starfaring auction above; whom Stephen was also noting used scans of the best copy of the original CA to represent both of them...
=> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8757328344 (CA "reprints")

Auction was ended early before questions could be answered, so I paid to have all the other illegal copies removed from circulation.
(Unfortunately a few others were given away prior to that sale, so still need to be aware they exist).

Those were stated to have been from the previous owner she acquired various other items from and no reason to disbelieve her on that.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:29 am 

Had to post this even though I havent gotten it yet.

Pretty lucky that the item was in a store and didnt have the full description on it otherwise I would have never seen it.  This is what bclarkie must feel like on a daily basis.  :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:36 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Had to post this even though I havent gotten it yet.

Pretty lucky that the item was in a store and didnt have the full description on it otherwise I would have never seen it.  This is what bclarkie must feel like on a daily basis.  :D

nice one! if only we were all that lucky!! :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:49 am 

Marlith wrote:

Speaking of V&V...this is a cover I had not seen before. Is this the first printing or did I just overpay?

That looks like the original 1979 rules...Congrats!

We started playing with those, but they are heavily flawed. The 1982 rules correct a lot of mistakes and are better for playing.  Very cool buy there!

Mike B

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:45 pm 

Great deal!!  I paid 5 or 6 times that for mine :?

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 3:14 pm 

Folder and everything looks in great shape. That is a nice win.
Ony luck I had on Role Aids was getting a VF/NM Nanorien Stones for $7-8.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 3:19 pm 

Very nice Role Aids pickup!

Can anyone tell me what Nanorien Stones is about?  (Other than the stones, themselves, that is....)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 24 of 114123 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 112113114