The former Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 3 of 11412, 3, 4 ... 112113114
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:25 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Good haul. Those slipped me by, but I wouldn't have gone that high so they'd have been your anyway.

Al's a one-man inflationary spiral. :D

killjoy32 wrote:am after quite a bit of stuff actually....
<snip>

i shoulda been more aggressive on your TAC cards the other month....

Al

Erm, that's not a particularly long list...

(And I still don't know why you didn't jump the whole of <m03>'s $310 offer, since you noticed that first... ;))

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:46 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
so if you wanna offload any of that, then lemme know.

i shoulda been more aggressive on your TAC cards the other month....

Al

Me Too !!  :evil:  :x  :roll:  :cry:

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:57 pm 

harami2000 wrote:(And I still don't know why you didn't jump the whole of <m03>'s $310 offer, since you noticed that first... ;))

well he actually PM'd me to see if i wanted it, but tbh at the time, i was seriously low on funds having already bought a ton o stuff and had some other sh*t in RL going on that required £ too, so i couldnt afford it even close. the stuff there didnt inspire me at the time, but now maybe i would think different, but anyways it dun matter does it :)

yeh the list isnt that long as i do have quite a lot of stuff here. my JG stuff dwarfs my TSR stuff prb like 75/25 - and i value that stuff a lot more, so would far rather beef that out before anything else.

so if you fancy offloading any off that list onto me for something sensible, then lemme know :)

david: the "inflationary spiral" made me smile :D

i personally think that its about time some of the JG items gained some value as they are really cool items and a goodly portion of them are a lot harder to get hold of than most TSR things - but i guess the popularity of TSR items makes them what they are.

i think ppl are beginning to notice JG stuff more and they might make one or two tentative buys - like the items and then look for more - so then they can come speak to me :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:19 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
harami2000 wrote:(And I still don't know why you didn't jump the whole of <m03>'s $310 offer, since you noticed that first... ;))

well he actually PM'd me to see if i wanted it, but tbh at the time, i was seriously low on funds having already bought a ton o stuff and had some other sh*t in RL going on that required £ too, so i couldnt afford it even close. the stuff there didnt inspire me at the time, but now maybe i would think different, but anyways it dun matter does it :)

Heh. At least you were deemed worthy of a PM. :)
I sent a PM with my thoughts re. valuations and a request to be invited to offer following the very first post on the "Collecting Appraisal" thread ( Value of rare Judges Guild items (sealed Tac Cards, etc). ) and didn't hear a thing re. actual sales until I spotted the "Classifieds" post, just too late.

*shrugs*

killjoy32 wrote:yeh the list isnt that long as i do have quite a lot of stuff here. my JG stuff dwarfs my TSR stuff prb like 75/25 - and i value that stuff a lot more, so would far rather beef that out before anything else.

*nod nods*. TSR is getting kinda over-priced in many places, too. ;)

Ah, I see, ya ain't add the "second rank" wants to that list? (presumably the likes of 1st Modron, all the early JG Journals, white "I", etc.).

killjoy32 wrote:so if you fancy offloading any off that list onto me for something sensible, then lemme know :)

No duplicates, afaik, aside from possibly one or two of the early journals and other stuff not on your list. :(
Certainly no second set of TAC cards... (*dodges "dagger" looks from both you and Shane*)

killjoy32 wrote:david: the "inflationary spiral" made me smile :D

i personally think that its about time some of the JG items gained some value as they are really cool items and a goodly portion of them are a lot harder to get hold of than most TSR things - but i guess the popularity of TSR items makes them what they are.

Those have been very much hyped, too, in the past year or so, IMHO (combination of demand vs. somewhat throttled supply, plus a large number of (newbie) collectors prepared to burn big $).
Has been less so on the JG side, phps, but nonetheless between you, Ian and a few others, you managed to foil my attempts to pick up my remaining missing items cheaply, by cranking things up a level (or two). :D

jmo. *g*.
killjoy32 wrote:i think ppl are beginning to notice JG stuff more and they might make one or two tentative buys - like the items and then look for more - so then they can come speak to me :D

You still don't have a name/title for your JG enterprise, do you? ;)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:06 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:i think ppl are beginning to notice JG stuff more and they might make one or two tentative buys - like the items and then look for more - so then they can come speak to me :D

You still don't have a name/title for your JG enterprise, do you? ;)

hey david - you gotta create a market somehow man! its been going on for years the ol' supply/demand works every time. you will always get a cycle that comes around with each new group of collectors - everyone becomes interested in something you have before too long :) (i hope)

my plan really is basically to get one of everything and then when i have them, then i will work on the 1st prints. i will eventually get there - keeps things interesting :)

and yes i/we do have a company, newly formed...when our JG books arrive (sometime in the next 2 weeks), it will kick into action. our website is up, tho still being worked on and under tons-of-construction, and will hopefully be sorted before long, but i have my own personal JG collection that needs grooming so i keep my eyes sharply peeled :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:11 am 

killjoy32 wrote:i shoulda been more aggressive on your TAC cards the other month....

Yep. They were in perfect mint condition. A real gem.
David, where's my feedback?
I do have 2 sets of the Judges Shield. I could let you have one to tide you over. I've never seen a mint one yet. I'm sure there may be one out there but I imagine it'll be with a collector.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:00 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I do have 2 sets of the Judges Shield. I could let you have one to tide you over. I've never seen a mint one yet. I'm sure there may be one out there but I imagine it'll be with a collector.

sounds good to me chummer....we can sort something with that shortly - nice one! :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:07 pm 

just picked up the whole set of V for Vendetta! quite chuffed getting them all in one go....save me wasting valuable time in getting them one by one.

:D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:07 pm 

Hey, what was up on the Guidon FITS ($190)?
Just following Mike/<IO>'s price for that shrinkwrapped copy? :D
eBay.com Item Bid History

(Hopefully the minor damage noted in response to that question was allowed for in those bids).

The original print run was 1,000, btw.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:11 pm 

In lieu of Rosenkav's post in the Interesting Non-TSR items on EBay thread above, I present to you this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

BTW, the seller is the author of this book. :)

From the same Seller, I also picked up:

And I also picked up these 2 as well:

Not to shabby for $0.99 a piece. :twisted: :P

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:16 pm 

Seems you owe me one, bclarkie...

:wink:

"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:21 pm 

rosenkav wrote:Seems you owe me one, bclarkie...

:wink:

Oh, I bought most of those last week. I was keeping it a secret until now. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:21 am 

that really nice Tegel Manor arrived today - well pleased with it - excellent condition man! i've now got three (another on the way and another booklet too)...so i can do some research on this item now which is cool!

my full series of V for Vendetta arrived too - really chuffed with these...... mint condition - very happy with this purchase!

now i just need to find the magazines i originally read this series in back in the mid 80's.....something like MAD... but i cant remember  :?

anyone know?

i also had a city state of the world emperor arrive - excellent/mint condition - really nice and got it quite cheap too....all three books and the city map - just need to find a nice condition MAP 6 now to complete it - give me something to do :)

the guy who sold me the V for Vendetta's - also gave me a batman book "the killing joke" free! what a top guy!!! :)

i also had some Tunnels & Trolls books arrive too - what a good day! :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:10 am 

I remember V for Vendetta - it was fab! Don't remember which mags it was in either though...  :(

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:52 am 

killjoy32 wrote:that really nice Tegel Manor arrived today - well pleased with it - excellent condition man! i've now got three (another on the way and another booklet too)...so i can do some research on this item now which is cool!

my full series of V for Vendetta arrived too - really chuffed with these...... mint condition - very happy with this purchase!

now i just need to find the magazines i originally read this series in back in the mid 80's.....something like MAD... but i cant remember :?

anyone know?

i also had a city state of the world emperor arrive - excellent/mint condition - really nice and got it quite cheap too....all three books and the city map - just need to find a nice condition MAP 6 now to complete it - give me something to do :)

the guy who sold me the V for Vendetta's - also gave me a batman book "the killing joke" free! what a top guy!!! :)

i also had some Tunnels & Trolls books arrive too - what a good day! :)

Being a comic collector you think I would know this.  But I dont have as much knowledge on the stuff that was printed in the UK.  I want to say it was in 2000 A.D. but I may be getting that confused with Judge Dredd.  Maybe it was Warrior magazine.

Sounds like a good haul though.  I have never read V for Vendetta.  Alan Moore is a great writer and if you like V for Vendetta and The Killing Joke, you should pick up Watchmen.  Still considered one of the greatest comic book stories ever.

Maybe Badmike has an answer if I am wrong.  That guy has an assload of comics.  :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:04 am 

well i "think" it was MAD magazine or some such pulp-y type thing.

like i said, it was about 20 years ago that i read it and the mags were older than that, so.....

i will find out tho - thats the fun of searching isnt it :D

cheers

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:53 am 

killjoy32 wrote:well i "think" it was MAD magazine or some such pulp-y type thing.

like i said, it was about 20 years ago that i read it and the mags were older than that, so.....

i will find out tho - thats the fun of searching isnt it :D

cheers

Al

The UK comic magazine this was collected in was "Warrior", I think I have a few issues lying around.  The serial was never finished there as it ceased publication, Moore later finished V for Vendetta in the comic series itself.  Here is a blurb from an old website, sorry I can't remember the author for annotation:

V for Vendetta, the comicbook, has had an interesting history, printed by two different publishers over a span of eight years. Alan Moore wrote a detailed article on both the story's origins and how he and David Lloyd collaborated on each chapter in his article "Behind the Painted Smile". The article is included in the collected edition of Vendetta, but to summarize:
In the early 1980's David Lloyd was offered a chance to do a serial in the upcoming UK comics anthology magazine, Warrior. Warrior was helmed by Dez Skinn, a longtime writer and editor in the UK comics scene. Lloyd suggested Alan Moore could write the serial, originally conceived by Skinn as mystery set in the 1930's. As Lloyd had no desire to do a period piece, Moore suggested they set the story in the (then) near-future instead. The creation of the story was very much a collaborative effort. Dez Skinn came up with the title "V for Vendetta", and it was Lloyd who first suggested dressing V up as Guy Fawkes. Moore began writing the story in 1981.

Warrior magazine was published in March of 1982. It came out more or less monthly through 1985 when the magazine was cancelled with issue #26. Each issue contained one chapter of Vendetta, roughly 5 - 7 pages long, and published in a magazine-sized format with black and white art.

Some interesting Vendetta-related trivia about the Warrior issues: V was featured on its covers three times: issues #5, #11 and #16. (You can view many of the Warrior covers here). The aforementioned article, "Behind the Painted Smile" appeared in issue #17. Though Lloyd was the artist, Tony Weare drew the interlude chapter, "Vincent," and provided additional art for chapters "Valerie" and "The Vacation". Warrior also featured the exploits of the superhero Marvelman (published in the U.S. as "Miracleman" due to copyright issues), also written by Alan Moore. Early on, there was an intent to link the two stories together by having V be Marvelman. This was never stated implicitly in Vendetta (and I do not know if there was any intent to reveal this information or have it remain implied), but evidence of this appears in Book One, Chapter 11, "The Vortex". Regardless, any ideas of connecting the two stories were scrapped by the time Vendetta completed its publication.

(Note: I am uncertain exactly what was the last chapter to see print in Warrior. The Alan Moore Fansite says that the last chapter to see print was chapter 12 of Book Two, "The Verdict". But the copyright notice in 7th issue of the DC series lists Chapters 13 and 14 ("Values" and "Vignettes") as "first published in 1983 in the United Kingdom". If anyone can clarify this for me, I'd be most grateful.)

By the time Warrior was cancelled, Moore was gaining both critical and popular acclaim through his work on the DC Comics comicbook, Swamp Thing. Moore's popularity skyrocketed with his collaboration with Dave Gibbons on the classic Watchmen. These factors no doubt contributed to DC acquiring the rights to republish Vendetta, in color, and give Moore and Lloyd the opportunity to finish the story they began six years earlier.

DC Comic's released Vendetta in ten monthly issues from 1988 - 1989 in standard comicbook-sized form. Each issue was 32 pages and contained several chapters of the story. Alan Moore wrote a one-page introduction for the first issue, reflecting on the creation of the story and its thematic and personal relevance. Steve Whitaker, Siobhan Dodds, and David Lloyd provided the colors. Each issue featured original cover artwork by Lloyd and the back cover featured photography by Mitch Jenkins. The first seven issues saw the colorized reprints of what appeared in Warrior; the remaining issues were all-new material, marking this the first time the complete V for Vendetta was published.

The ten issues were then collected into a trade paperback (also known by the misleading nomenclature, "graphic novel") in 1990. The original printings featured the same wrap-around cover as the first issue of the DC series. This edition presented the complete story as well as Alan Moore's introduction to the DC series, his article "Behind the Painted Smile", an introduction by David Lloyd, and reduced versions of Llyod's cover art for the DC series without the trade dress. Subsequent printings of the collected edition featured an up-close portrait of V's Guy Fawkes mask for the cover, with a story synopsis and creator bios on the back.

Mike B.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:55 am 

Google will provide:

V for Vendetta: the comicbook

says:

"Warrior magazine was published in March of 1982. It came out more or less monthly through 1985 when the magazine was cancelled with issue #26. Each issue contained one chapter of Vendetta, roughly 5 - 7 pages long, and published in a magazine-sized format with black and white art. "

And here is a completed auction for #1 recently...not too pricey..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 14170&rd=1

By the way - I was  a big 2000AD fan and remember getting the first issues (now long gone I am afraid  :( ) but if I wanted to start picking them up on ebay - what is the market like?  Have the prices shot up recently (and so I should perhaps wait) or are they still low enough to be able to pick up some early issues without breaking open my piggy bank etc etc...?

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 3 of 11412, 3, 4 ... 112113114