The former Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 100 of 103123 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101102103
Author

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2491
Joined: Feb 07, 2006
Last Visit: Mar 02, 2021
Location: France / Cité des Papes

Post Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:17 am 
 

I received these two boxes today

Claw Law - Arms law for 1st ed for $2.36

** expired eBay auction **


and spell law 1st ed. for $1.25

** expired eBay auction **


I was astonished that prices stayed so low. These boxes are very hard to find, and complete and in excellent shape (books in NM condition)


Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

 WWW  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1607
Joined: Aug 19, 2008
Last Visit: Sep 22, 2020
Location: Chicago, IL

Post Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:23 am 
 

If you ever get tired of those boxes you could just ship them this way...   :wink:

That's a nice deal.


RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

 ICQ  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 5029
Joined: Oct 11, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2017
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:08 am 
 

Got really lucky and found a Premier Issue of Fantasy Gamer Magazine in a lot of Items I picked up yesterday with Badmike (It is Very Close to MINT).
Not only is it in Near Mint condition, but it also has the original Protective Mailing Cover (intact) and that too is in very good condition.

Last but not least...
Please see last scan for where (who) it was mailed to...  

ImageImage
Image


"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 4482
Joined: Nov 08, 2002
Last Visit: Mar 02, 2021
Location: Land of 10,000 ponds

Post Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:15 am 
 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:Got really lucky and found a Premier Issue of Fantasy Gamer Magazine in a lot of Items I picked up yesterday with Badmike (It is Very Close to MINT).
Not only is it in Near Mint condition, but it also has the original Protective Mailing Cover (intact) and that too is in very good condition.

Last but not least...
Please see last scan for where (who) it was mailed to...  

[ Image ]


Cool! 8)

ShaneG.


I reject your reality and substitute my own

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 5029
Joined: Oct 11, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2017
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:08 am 
 

I also have some items that were clearly once Robert Bledsaw's things.
A couple magazines with mailing labels in his name and several manilla folders with his writing... a few notes on papers...
Nothing impressive or valuable at all, but interesting at least.
The magazine above being the best item I think.
Since (I think) it has decent value other than the mailing label...


"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 6067
Joined: May 03, 2003
Last Visit: Feb 08, 2021
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:40 am 
 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:Since (I think) it has decent value other than the mailing label...


I think the mailing label gives it more value than the magazine itself.  The magazine is probably $5-$10.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 5029
Joined: Oct 11, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2017
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:43 am 
 

Mars wrote:
I think the mailing label gives it more value than the magazine itself.  The magazine is probably $5-$10.


Yes, I was thinking about the same for the magazine, though with the intact mailing label I though it worth a shade more than $10.
Wonder how much perceived value the address label give it?
Sorry... WAIT I Will ask that question on the correct board... :lol:


"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3155
Joined: Nov 21, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 05, 2016
Location: UK

Post Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:37 pm 
 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:I also have some items that were clearly once Robert Bledsaw's things.
A couple magazines with mailing labels in his name and several manilla folders with his writing... a few notes on papers...
Nothing impressive or valuable at all, but interesting at least.
The magazine above being the best item I think.

I suspect you might find more interest in the notes if they're at all gaming related. ;)

Nice finds, grats, and could so easily have been "lost" to the collective cognizance without a keen eye. :)

Mars wrote:I think the mailing label gives it more value than the magazine itself.  The magazine is probably $5-$10.

Agreed: I'd like to think so, too, even if outwith particular showpiece auction series such sales seem to have been a bit hit-or-miss.
Of course, in general - and not just for RPGs - association copies and similar do tend to do better with key publications, a strong connection to the publication, non-retrospective association (e.g. not just a copy of a 1975 book briefly owned in 2000, or signed to someone else dated thus) and/or well-known "names".

(aside: Hmm... who needs address labels?)

Image
Image


"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2056
Joined: Jul 25, 2007
Last Visit: Mar 03, 2021
Location: Far Harad, Texas

Post Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:50 am 
 

Odd, just a few months ago I found a copy of FG#1 at the central Austin HPB, also in its mailing cover, also NM. The address is to one Andy Antoniwicz. It's an Austin address, so I assumed it had been mailed to him before finding its way to the used-book market. However the appearance of your copy raises questions. Were these ever mailed, or were they promotional copies that languished in the SJG archives until recently? JG for one would have been going out of business when these were printed, so maybe SJG decided to not mail it.

This is one of my first posts to the Acaeum, transcribing a letter sent with a review copy of a game to The Space Gamer:
There & Back Again, West Coast Games
It too was found at the central Austin HPB (circa 1998) in a stash of NM games, apparently from the SJG archives.

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 5029
Joined: Oct 11, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2017
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:28 am 
 

sauromatian wrote:Odd, just a few months ago I found a copy of FG#1 at the central Austin HPB, also in its mailing cover, also NM. The address is to one Andy Antoniwicz. It's an Austin address, so I assumed it had been mailed to him before finding its way to the used-book market. However the appearance of your copy raises questions. Were these ever mailed, or were they promotional copies that languished in the SJG archives until recently? JG for one would have been going out of business when these were printed, so maybe SJG decided to not mail it.

This is one of my first posts to the Acaeum, transcribing a letter sent with a review copy of a game to The Space Gamer:
There & Back Again, West Coast Games
It too was found at the central Austin HPB (circa 1998) in a stash of NM games, apparently from the SJG archives.


As I stated above this magazine was one of Two Magazines in that lot that was addressed to Judges Guild, or to the original developers/owners of Judges Guild, as in Robert Bledsaw.
The other Magazine (Discover) was dated NOV83 on the address label, though the magazine is the June 1983 Issue.
Discover Magazine was published in Chicago, Illinois.

I doubt the copy of Fantasy Gamer posted above is an un-mailed magazine....
I also doubt that the copy of Discover posted below was an un-mailed magazine, and they are adressed to the same city and to the same individual, or his company (Judges Guild).

Image

But Proof positive is hard to offer if the above is not enough.


"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 3819
Joined: Jul 12, 2007
Last Visit: Feb 03, 2021

Post Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:21 pm 
 


** expired eBay auction **


Always wanted to see a copy of RUS. Did they ever come out with the expansion set?

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 6067
Joined: May 03, 2003
Last Visit: Feb 08, 2021
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:08 pm 
 

JasonZavoda wrote:Always wanted to see a copy of RUS. Did they ever come out with the expansion set?


There was a module and character pad that were available and Brett picked up a few other expanions books that seem much rarer (and were probably not available to general public).

 WWW  


Verbose Collector

Posts: 1324
Joined: May 28, 2007
Last Visit: Aug 27, 2011
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada

Post Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:35 pm 
 

JasonZavoda wrote:
** expired eBay auction **


Always wanted to see a copy of RUS. Did they ever come out with the expansion set?


As have I.  Let me know how it is.


"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

  

User avatar

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2445
Joined: Nov 06, 2002
Last Visit: Mar 02, 2021
Location: Queensland, Australia

Post Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:07 pm 
 

Mars wrote:
There was a module and character pad that were available and Brett picked up a few other expanions books that seem much rarer (and were probably not available to general public).


RUS Games/RUS Publishing - Ariel Archives Online

Thats a nice price for RUS..

Brette:)


Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

 WWW  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2491
Joined: Feb 07, 2006
Last Visit: Mar 02, 2021
Location: France / Cité des Papes

Post Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:58 pm 
 

Cougar is selling character pad for a while right now. You can have them for cheap.

** expired eBay auction **


Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

 WWW  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 3819
Joined: Jul 12, 2007
Last Visit: Feb 03, 2021

Post Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:07 pm 
 

lokiwookie wrote:Cougar is selling character pad for a while right now. You can have them for cheap.

** expired eBay auction **


Hopefully people know better than to deal with coug

  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2491
Joined: Feb 07, 2006
Last Visit: Mar 02, 2021
Location: France / Cité des Papes

Post Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:23 pm 
 

When you know that VGC could mean anything, you can bid without any surprises :)

I bought a lot of books from him and have never had any problem. Combined shipping charges are outrageous, as T&T, but I always received what I bought (no boxed sets though, only individual books).
Coug is a good way to have some books for cheap (since most of Acaeum members do not bid on his items)


Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

 WWW  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3155
Joined: Nov 21, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 05, 2016
Location: UK

Post Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:30 pm 
 

lokiwookie wrote:Coug is a good way to have some books for cheap (since most of Acaeum members do not bid on his items)

Don't, or ca'n't... or both! :)
True, though, re. /some/ good stuff cheap from the concolorous feline amidst the various obvious and not-so-obvious pitfalls.


"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2491
Joined: Feb 07, 2006
Last Visit: Mar 02, 2021
Location: France / Cité des Papes

Post Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:32 pm 
 

faro wrote:Don't, or ca'n't... or both! :)


and you don't, or can't... or both? ;)


Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

 WWW  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2056
Joined: Jul 25, 2007
Last Visit: Mar 03, 2021
Location: Far Harad, Texas

Post Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:49 pm 
 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:I doubt the copy of Fantasy Gamer posted above is an un-mailed magazine....
..But Proof positive is hard to offer if the above is not enough.


Certainly. Don't mean to harsh your buzz over the find, I'm sniffing at other trails. Namely, old SJG/Metagaming stuff has a way of appearing on the market here in Austin. A bunch of Microgames being unearthed at a warehouse, departing SJG employees, etc.

  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 100 of 103123 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101102103