The former Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 111 of 114123 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112113114
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:17 am 

I received these two boxes today

Claw Law - Arms law for 1st ed for $2.36

** expired/removed eBay auction **

and spell law 1st ed. for $1.25

I was astonished that prices stayed so low. These boxes are very hard to find, and complete and in excellent shape (books in NM condition)

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:23 am 

If you ever get tired of those boxes you could just ship them this way...   :wink:

That's a nice deal.

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:08 am 

Got really lucky and found a Premier Issue of Fantasy Gamer Magazine in a lot of Items I picked up yesterday with Badmike (It is Very Close to MINT).
Not only is it in Near Mint condition, but it also has the original Protective Mailing Cover (intact) and that too is in very good condition.

Last but not least...
Please see last scan for where (who) it was mailed to...  

ImageImage

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:15 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:Got really lucky and found a Premier Issue of Fantasy Gamer Magazine in a lot of Items I picked up yesterday with Badmike (It is Very Close to MINT).
Not only is it in Near Mint condition, but it also has the original Protective Mailing Cover (intact) and that too is in very good condition.

Last but not least...
Please see last scan for where (who) it was mailed to...  

[ Image ]

Cool! 8)

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:08 am 

I also have some items that were clearly once Robert Bledsaw's things.
A couple magazines with mailing labels in his name and several manilla folders with his writing... a few notes on papers...
Nothing impressive or valuable at all, but interesting at least.
The magazine above being the best item I think.
Since (I think) it has decent value other than the mailing label...

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:40 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:Since (I think) it has decent value other than the mailing label...

I think the mailing label gives it more value than the magazine itself.  The magazine is probably $5-$10.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:43 am 

Mars wrote:
I think the mailing label gives it more value than the magazine itself.  The magazine is probably $5-$10.

Yes, I was thinking about the same for the magazine, though with the intact mailing label I though it worth a shade more than $10.
Wonder how much perceived value the address label give it?
Sorry... WAIT I Will ask that question on the correct board... :lol:

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:37 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:I also have some items that were clearly once Robert Bledsaw's things.
A couple magazines with mailing labels in his name and several manilla folders with his writing... a few notes on papers...
Nothing impressive or valuable at all, but interesting at least.
The magazine above being the best item I think.

I suspect you might find more interest in the notes if they're at all gaming related. ;)

Nice finds, grats, and could so easily have been "lost" to the collective cognizance without a keen eye. :)

Mars wrote:I think the mailing label gives it more value than the magazine itself.  The magazine is probably $5-$10.

Agreed: I'd like to think so, too, even if outwith particular showpiece auction series such sales seem to have been a bit hit-or-miss.
Of course, in general - and not just for RPGs - association copies and similar do tend to do better with key publications, a strong connection to the publication, non-retrospective association (e.g. not just a copy of a 1975 book briefly owned in 2000, or signed to someone else dated thus) and/or well-known "names".

(aside: Hmm... who needs address labels?)

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:50 am 

Odd, just a few months ago I found a copy of FG#1 at the central Austin HPB, also in its mailing cover, also NM. The address is to one Andy Antoniwicz. It's an Austin address, so I assumed it had been mailed to him before finding its way to the used-book market. However the appearance of your copy raises questions. Were these ever mailed, or were they promotional copies that languished in the SJG archives until recently? JG for one would have been going out of business when these were printed, so maybe SJG decided to not mail it.

This is one of my first posts to the Acaeum, transcribing a letter sent with a review copy of a game to The Space Gamer:
There & Back Again, West Coast Games
It too was found at the central Austin HPB (circa 1998) in a stash of NM games, apparently from the SJG archives.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:28 am 

sauromatian wrote:Odd, just a few months ago I found a copy of FG#1 at the central Austin HPB, also in its mailing cover, also NM. The address is to one Andy Antoniwicz. It's an Austin address, so I assumed it had been mailed to him before finding its way to the used-book market. However the appearance of your copy raises questions. Were these ever mailed, or were they promotional copies that languished in the SJG archives until recently? JG for one would have been going out of business when these were printed, so maybe SJG decided to not mail it.

This is one of my first posts to the Acaeum, transcribing a letter sent with a review copy of a game to The Space Gamer:
There & Back Again, West Coast Games
It too was found at the central Austin HPB (circa 1998) in a stash of NM games, apparently from the SJG archives.

As I stated above this magazine was one of Two Magazines in that lot that was addressed to Judges Guild, or to the original developers/owners of Judges Guild, as in Robert Bledsaw.
The other Magazine (Discover) was dated NOV83 on the address label, though the magazine is the June 1983 Issue.
Discover Magazine was published in Chicago, Illinois.

I doubt the copy of Fantasy Gamer posted above is an un-mailed magazine....
I also doubt that the copy of Discover posted below was an un-mailed magazine, and they are adressed to the same city and to the same individual, or his company (Judges Guild).

But Proof positive is hard to offer if the above is not enough.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:21 pm 

Always wanted to see a copy of RUS. Did they ever come out with the expansion set?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:08 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:Always wanted to see a copy of RUS. Did they ever come out with the expansion set?

There was a module and character pad that were available and Brett picked up a few other expanions books that seem much rarer (and were probably not available to general public).

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:35 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:

Always wanted to see a copy of RUS. Did they ever come out with the expansion set?

As have I.  Let me know how it is.

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:07 pm 

Mars wrote:
There was a module and character pad that were available and Brett picked up a few other expanions books that seem much rarer (and were probably not available to general public).

RUS Games/RUS Publishing - Ariel Archives Online

Thats a nice price for RUS..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:58 pm 

Cougar is selling character pad for a while right now. You can have them for cheap.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:07 pm 

lokiwookie wrote:Cougar is selling character pad for a while right now. You can have them for cheap.

Hopefully people know better than to deal with coug

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:23 pm 

When you know that VGC could mean anything, you can bid without any surprises :)

I bought a lot of books from him and have never had any problem. Combined shipping charges are outrageous, as T&T, but I always received what I bought (no boxed sets though, only individual books).
Coug is a good way to have some books for cheap (since most of Acaeum members do not bid on his items)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:30 pm 

lokiwookie wrote:Coug is a good way to have some books for cheap (since most of Acaeum members do not bid on his items)

Don't, or ca'n't... or both! :)
True, though, re. /some/ good stuff cheap from the concolorous feline amidst the various obvious and not-so-obvious pitfalls.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 111 of 114123 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112113114