The former Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 106 of 114123 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107 ... 112113114
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:49 pm 

Mars wrote:It seems to me that the small press stuff was the early interest, then moved into AD&D later.  The WGR1 is the second print, etc so that 1st edition modules were skipped.

With that run of Abyss somewhat underpinning the earlier timeframe and a couple of other items "on the side". Does look almost like two totally separate collections, both more-or-less unused, as that is: but why buy so many hex sheets, pads, etc. if not playing? Strange indeed!

Mars wrote:The Black Vial, Weres

+1

Mars wrote:Also interesting that the city this lot was found in is the same place that SimperingToad picked up a Pharaoh from about a month ago.  Time for a trip to Saskatchewan.

Someone's game shop did a bulk purchase bitd, eh?
TheHistorian wrote:That's weird.  I wonder if there were some for sale at a con there thirty years ago, or if a couple friends each ordered copies.

Or the latter? ;)
(Did Saskatchewan have cons in the early 80s? *jk*)

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:55 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:That's weird.  I wonder if there were some for sale at a con there thirty years ago, or if a couple friends each ordered copies.

The two main cities in Saskatchewan (Regina and Saskatoon) had a couple really good game stores back then.  One was called The Wizard's Corner and the other Books Unlimited.  Both seemed to carry a lot of small press stuff so the two Pharaoh's and most of the small press stuff and fanzines were all bought locally.  The Wizard's corner also organized a local con and related people wrote the tournament modules.  One that was listed on the old Afterglow was called "The Manor of Lord Alderic of Enroc for Wizard's Challenge in Saskatoon, Sask, 1983 by Kelly Sturch and Dan Hatchen.  I think Kelly was the owner of The Wizard's Corner.

After these stores closed a lot of the stock ended up at The Sentry Box in Calgary, Alberta.  I have spent a few thousand bucks there over the years now and a lot of the small press items have the original Wizard's Corner price stickers on them (I think some also have Books Unlimited stickers too).

The Wizard's Corner was also advertised in Dragon Magazine a number of times too.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:01 pm 

No luck in tracking down a copy of any of the tournament adventures though.  Kelly Sturch passed away a while back and Dan Hatchen has spent the last many years trying to clear his name.  I even tracked down the person who bought the store after Kelly passed away but got no response :(

Still hopeful that one day more tournament modules will pop up out of Saskatchewan.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:04 pm 

wow, congratulations!

i hope i will one day find an equivalent lot of soul and jazz records for that price. :D

esse quam videri.

WWW ICQ  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:53 pm 

Great find, Mark! :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:09 am 

Awesome pick-up there Mark  PDT_Armataz_01_37

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:24 am 

I noticed Vial right away. Blows Pharaoh away in rarity, I think.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:22 am 

Nice find Mark :)  Those books look to be in spetacular shape - well done!

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:27 am 

I could not get the pics to laod fron page 95 of Marks Haul. :(
Might be my browser, but I do not know.
Anyone esle having trouble seeing those pics? :?:

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:38 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:I could not get the pics to laod fron page 95 of Marks Haul. :(
Might be my browser, but I do not know.
Anyone esle having trouble seeing those pics? :?:

Just viewed Mars' amazing RPG cache photos again!  Wow!  8O  8O  8O

Gnat,

Perhaps you have your browser's 'Overwhelming Haul' filter set to high.  Depending on which browser you use, this setting is usually found under the following menu option:

Tools --> Options --> RPG -->  Mars Has Done It Again --> Filters  --> Overwhelming Haul.

Turning this down a few notches will allow you to view his latest gems from Saskatoon. :)

((Seriously.  The pictures loaded just fine for me in Google Chrome.))

Well done, Mark.

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:59 am 

Strange but it did load the pics this time.

One word.

8O

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:16 pm 

Wow! Definitely!

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:20 pm 

thanks a true haul, irrespective of any rarity, only an amount of items I'd dream of! Congrats Mark

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:38 pm 

Mars,

A spectacular find.  Congratulations, Mark.

Best,

Paul

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe...we are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:16 pm 

RaisedFromTheDead wrote:I noticed Vial right away. Blows Pharaoh away in rarity, I think.
to the degree that most of us are familiar with The Black Vial, it's because of it having been listed in heroic worlds. I want one too, for that very reason. I was going to Gencon when that item was released, and never saw it. I was shopping at many great game stores around the country and never saw it. I doubt it is very good (though i could be wrong, and will be happy to hear a review from mark). having said that because my want list is at around 150 items that are getting increasingly hard to find, if one came up on ebay i'd pay up for it. but nowhere near what i was willing to pay to get my pharaoh. having been written by hickman, AND given that there aren't many left,  it is understandable why it commands a high price. black vial in that sense to me is closer to a home brewed item: possibly poorly done, limited distribution, no fanfare other than it's heroic worlds listing. we occasionally pay too much attention to mediocre work that some guy produced 50 copies of in his basement in 1979 and sold at 3 London (or L.A.) game stores. while it's fun to ferret out these (mostly) stale nuggets, they really don't constitute a meal. all of this having been said, yes, i'd love to convince mark to sell it to me...

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:17 pm 

RaisedFromTheDead wrote:I noticed Vial right away. Blows Pharaoh away in rarity, I think.
i suppose i should have said scarcity does not always equal value.

Last edited by stratochamp on Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:19 pm 

Excellent haul, Mars.  Much envy.

Mars wrote:
The two main cities in Saskatchewan (Regina and Saskatoon) had a couple really good game stores back then.  One was called The Wizard's Corner
The Wizard's Corner was also advertised in Dragon Magazine a number of times too.

Oh wow.  I lived in Saskatoon '80-'83, and that was where I discovered D&D.  I went to school about 5 blocks east of Wizard's Corner, and I loved the place to bits.  Was the owner called Kelly? I remember him as a scary old dude (probably a venerable 30 years old) with a straggly moustache, reading Cults of Terror behind the counter where they displayed the painted minis.  For a while there he got practically every nickel I made by way of allowance and lawn mowing. :wink:

Shanghai fun & friends!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:35 pm 

stumbling tiger wrote:Was the owner called Kelly?

I believe Kelly was the owner.  I've also tracked down another employee of the store from back then name Jim Pulles.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 106 of 114123 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107 ... 112113114