The former Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 89 of 114123 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 112113114
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:36 am 

g026r wrote:While I doubt anybody knows what these are (being a mid-90s item that has a history going back to a similar late-80s item -- actually, grodog may have heard of them given that the original Whimsy Cards were put out by Lion Rampant prior to Ars Magica), but I've been looking for them for a while.  First set I've seen on eBay:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Very nice!

There's a review on RPGNet
The Inside Scoop on Gaming - RPGnet

Another print?

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:04 am 

lokiwookie wrote:Another print?

Those are more of a predecessor.  They've got an odd history as a product, in that they tend to have versions that aren't new editions per se, but rather spiritual successors:

The first version (Whimsy Cards) was published by Lion Rampant -- largely because they needed a product for GenCon and Ars Magica wasn't ready yet.  There are two editions of these and frankly they seem to be the hardest ones to find, perhaps due to their reportedly rather flimsy nature.  I'm still missing them but doubt I'll ever find a complete set of either version.

After Lion Rampant merged with White Wolf Magazine to form the current White Wolf, the new company put out a pair of products called Story Path Cards.  (Story Paths I: The Path of Horror and Story Paths II: The Path of Intrigue)  I don't believe they sold well, because White Wolf quickly dropped the line after less than a year despite previous promises of more installments to cover other genres.  These tend to be the easiest to find, even in unpunched form, though the Intrigue set is marginally rarer than the Horror set (but not really by much, IMHO).

The third version was put out in 1996 by 3 Guys Gaming, and was a larger non-genre specific set of cards than the White Wolf ones.  It lasted maybe a year or so before the company just disappeared.

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:09 am 

Interesting story. Other items on my wish list ;)

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:16 am 

Ah so you are the one that outbid my bid.  I have been looking for a copy of these for a while too either the originals or later sets but I don't really want to through too much money on them.  Although if the bid had been 38 cents higher ...

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:55 am 

I should have known that you'd be in on the bidding as well. :D

That was actually slightly higher than I hoped to spend on them, but I let my "first set I've seen for sale" thoughts outweigh the arguments against when I entered my snipe.

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:07 pm 

Bunch of Runequest Goodness.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:18 pm 

Great find! Excellent prices.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:03 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:

Bunch of Runequest Goodness.

Were those Buy It Now's when you posted them? I thought I looked at them from work, and they each had 1 bid. Now I look and they've ended as a BIN. Just curious if you remember or not.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:25 pm 

GreyM wrote:
Were those Buy It Now's when you posted them? I thought I looked at them from work, and they each had 1 bid. Now I look and they've ended as a BIN. Just curious if you remember or not.

Yeah these were the BIN prices. He had the min bids at around $5 less. There were about 6 or seven runequest lots but these were the ones I was looking for (except Land of Ninja, I just wanted the Vikings set).

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:11 pm 

g026r wrote:While I doubt anybody knows what these are (being a mid-90s item that has a history going back to a similar late-80s item -- actually, grodog may have heard of them given that the original Whimsy Cards were put out by Lion Rampant prior to Ars Magica), but I've been looking for them for a while.  First set I've seen on eBay:

I've seen other sets listed, but they tend to fly under folks' radar, I think:  they're just not that interesting to most gamers.  I may even have two of the 3 Guys sets; will have to check after I'm back from NJ c. mid-month.  I like them all---each has their own interesting flavor and functionality!

g026r wrote:
Those are more of a predecessor.  They've got an odd history as a product, in that they tend to have versions that aren't new editions per se, but rather spiritual successors:

Some more info on these appears in Shannon Appel's history of Lion Rampant, but you summarized it all quite well, g026r; here's the links for those interested:  A Brief History of Game #10: Lion Rampant: 1987-1990 - RPGnet and A Brief History of Game #11: White Wolf, Part One: 1986-1995 - RPGnet

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:03 pm 

Just received today. It'll take a while to go through it all, but so far, very nice group of stuff.

Insert *SQUEEE* or other sound of rejoicing here.  :wink:

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:31 pm 

SimperingToad wrote:Just received today. It'll take a while to go through it all, but so far, very nice group of stuff.

er.... "Squeee"!

Wonderful find, congrats

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:36 pm 

fudge... another nice lot... I always seem to miss out on these.. and not suprising that they don't last more than 30 seconds...

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:18 pm 

beasterbrook wrote:fudge... another nice lot... I always seem to miss out on these.. and not suprising that they don't last more than 30 seconds...

Brette:)

What?  That one lasted 12 minutes!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:53 pm 

SimperingToad wrote:Just received today. It'll take a while to go through it all, but so far, very nice group of stuff.

Isn't that...like...a huge score?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:34 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
Isn't that...like...a huge score?

60 + MERP items for $125 -  I should say so!

I don't really follow MERP but as examples of stuff I have personally sold recently

Minas Tirith £17
Riders of Rohan £15
Isengard £26
Shadows in the South £6
Mirkwood £5

Thats practically $125 already -  great score indeed

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:37 am 

Came in the mail yesterday. Gambled a little with no picture, but it is indeed a limited Origins Convention issue of Tobruk.

Here is a picture of one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tobruk-war-game-Ori ... valon-Hill)_W0QQitemZ290346586314QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090905?IMSfp=TL090905154007r13476

I also have another copy that was signed by the authors and has a stamped seal on the cover - I have never seen another like it.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:44 am 

SimperingToad wrote:

Wow! Very very nice lot!

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 89 of 114123 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 112113114