The former Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 89 of 114123 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 112113114
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:06 am 

Nice.
Never heard of it, but always good to find something strange and new.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:38 am 

It contains a rulebook (as published separately), a 3-panel screen, a pad of character sheets, some dice and some charts

The rulebook and the 2 supplements are not very hard to find, but I started to doubt about the existence of this boxed set.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:52 am 

So I walked into my FLGS this afternoon (my wife was looking for a miniature and I was just tagging along) and what do I spy on the shelf?

A brand new copy of Rappan Athuk Reloaded :D

It was cover price 8O   They gave me my standard freindly discount as well (only 5% but what the hell).  The clerk told me they found it in the back room that day and threw it out hoping to unload it :lol:

I always kicked myself for not buying it at Gencon in 2006, now I finally have one.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:05 am 

*low whistle of cool appreciation*

Nice one!   8O

See if you got the golden ticket!  :wink:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:29 am 

FormCritic wrote:*low whistle of cool appreciation*

Nice one!   8O

See if you got the golden ticket!  :wink:

Golden ticket?

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:43 am 

Don't worry about the Golden Ticket.  Just send it me and I will have a look for you. ;)

Very nice find by the way. :)

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:58 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:
Golden ticket?

Apparently there's a golden ticket inside some of these...for some sort of prize, but collectible in itself.

The golden tickets have reportedly never been found.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:04 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
Apparently there's a golden ticket inside some of these...for some sort of prize, but collectible in itself.

The golden tickets have reportedly never been found.

All of them have the 'golden' tickets with Clark and Bill's signature.  5 are different however and I know some of them have been found.  One has the signatures of their demon lord persona, another give the person Necromancer Games products for life (which may have ended with them leaving White Wolf - though don't quote me on that), I forget the others at the moment, but am sure they are listed in the forums.  I also know at one point there was a site that listed where each number ticket was located.  #1 I believe went to the winner of the GenCon auction, which I did not participate in as I'd done so the year earlier and wanted to allow another the same chance.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:14 pm 

Thought I read somewhere that all but one had been found.

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:53 pm 

I thought several had not been found, including the "free trip to GenCon" ticket??

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:15 am 

** expired/removed eBay auction **

I won these last night and I was really thrilled. I had copies of these when I was in high school and my friends and I played a lot. I'm really looking forward to reading through them and trying to remember just what was so special that we all got so excited over this game.

As an extra fun fact, while in high school I lived in Evansville, IN, and bought my comics and games from a little shop called Comic Quest. Check out the seller on those auctions - they probably ordered two copies of each of these when they first came out and have been stuck with the other ever since.

Does any know anything about the publisher of these, Unicorn Games Publications? I've tried finding info online and there isn't much. What's there is also contradictory, with one source showing a publication date of 1982 and another showing 1988.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:07 am 

Ector wrote:Does any know anything about the publisher of these, Unicorn Games Publications? I've tried finding info online and there isn't much. What's there is also contradictory, with one source showing a publication date of 1982 and another showing 1988.

Hey Ector,

There are two easily noticeable editions where the cover is different.  Your purchase is for a later edition.  I have the other cover (and the other books) listed for sale on my website here if you want to see what it looks like:

Planet Mars! - NON TSR Dungeons & Dragons

The original version is copyright 1982, but was then republished in 1985, 1988, and 1991 so there are various versions with these copyright dates.  I only have one version so I don't know if anything has really changed or not.

The complete line includes:

0001 Quest of the Ancients (rules)
0003 Monsters, Magic & Sorcery
0004 Faerie Tales
0005 Monsters, Magic & Sorcery II

the other item is 0002 Spell Circle which is a plastic piece (and is hard to find).

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:17 pm 

Thanks for the info! The cover on your site definitely looks more like what I remember.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:19 am 

I have some of those Quest of the Ancients books, good to know what #2 is as I could never find any mention of it.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:23 pm 

Its a plastic overlay for spell effects.. not very exciting at all..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:29 am 

While I doubt anybody knows what these are (being a mid-90s item that has a history going back to a similar late-80s item -- actually, grodog may have heard of them given that the original Whimsy Cards were put out by Lion Rampant prior to Ars Magica), but I've been looking for them for a while.  First set I've seen on eBay:

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:36 am 

g026r wrote:While I doubt anybody knows what these are (being a mid-90s item that has a history going back to a similar late-80s item -- actually, grodog may have heard of them given that the original Whimsy Cards were put out by Lion Rampant prior to Ars Magica), but I've been looking for them for a while.  First set I've seen on eBay:

Very nice!

There's a review on RPGNet
The Inside Scoop on Gaming - RPGnet

Another print?

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:04 am 

lokiwookie wrote:Another print?

Those are more of a predecessor.  They've got an odd history as a product, in that they tend to have versions that aren't new editions per se, but rather spiritual successors:

The first version (Whimsy Cards) was published by Lion Rampant -- largely because they needed a product for GenCon and Ars Magica wasn't ready yet.  There are two editions of these and frankly they seem to be the hardest ones to find, perhaps due to their reportedly rather flimsy nature.  I'm still missing them but doubt I'll ever find a complete set of either version.

After Lion Rampant merged with White Wolf Magazine to form the current White Wolf, the new company put out a pair of products called Story Path Cards.  (Story Paths I: The Path of Horror and Story Paths II: The Path of Intrigue)  I don't believe they sold well, because White Wolf quickly dropped the line after less than a year despite previous promises of more installments to cover other genres.  These tend to be the easiest to find, even in unpunched form, though the Intrigue set is marginally rarer than the Horror set (but not really by much, IMHO).

The third version was put out in 1996 by 3 Guys Gaming, and was a larger non-genre specific set of cards than the White Wolf ones.  It lasted maybe a year or so before the company just disappeared.

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 89 of 114123 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 112113114