The former Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 85 of 114123 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 112113114
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:12 am 

JasonZavoda wrote:
More than. It is a 1948 zine.

Then on review I see that you made quite the purchase indeed.  8O

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:15 am 

FormCritic wrote:
Then on review I see that you made quite the purchase indeed.  8O

Yeah, I think it was an amazing find. It was hard tracking down info on this zine and the Hannes Bok connection is astounding, though I have no provenance for it yet. I need to see if this was something he did with other items he owned.

But just this 61 year old Lovecraft zine is very cool to own.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:07 am 

Saw some folks playing Talisman at the NTRPG Convention.
Thought it looked interesting, talked to a couple of folks about it and was told the Second Edition was the one to get for playing.
Almost bought what I thought was a very expensive copy at a Game Store recently, but held off as it seemed to be SOOO expensive to me....

Glad I held off....

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 0167644474

It came in today and it was MUCH cheaper than the one I saw at the game store (Even with shipping).

It looks like there is enough stuff in the box to play the game.
The seller listed a bunch of things, but by sellers count some cards were missing and other cards seemed to be extras (When compared to the box bottom where the list is).

BUT:........
Seller listed 102 Adventure cards (should be 104 per box).
Seller listed one extra Purchase Card and they were in a seperate baggie from the Adv Cards (one of them was actually one of the missing Adv Cards) and one extra Talisman card.... (one was the other missing Adv Card).
The cards are the same size, so I can see how they might get mixed up...
The set is (I think) pretty much complete....according to the list on the bottom of the box.
A few Adventure cards look to have been used for a dogs chew toy, but they are still there....

....thirty-nine Strength counters, thirty-nine Craft counters, twenty Life counters, and forty Gold counters.

Dont know how many of those items should be there as the box does not even mention them, but if a couple are missing... does it even matter?
They seem to be much less imporant than the other card types are.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:03 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:Dont know how many of those items should be there as the box does not even mention them, but if a couple are missing... does it even matter?

No idea about whether you'll miss hypothetical absent bits, but there are component lists to be found on the much-maligned BoardgameGeek here and here.

Shanghai fun & friends!

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:41 am 

stumbling tiger wrote:
No idea about whether you'll miss hypothetical absent bits, but there are component lists to be found on the much-maligned BoardgameGeek here and here.

Yes was planning to search that site today sometime.

Thanks, for the two links. That second one is truly complete down to the last detail for pieces.

But  Umnn... Why did you say the much-maligned BoardgameGeek?
I have noticed nothing but praise here for that site, which I would agree with.

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:51 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:Saw some folks playing Talisman at the NTRPG Convention.
Thought it looked interesting, talked to a couple of folks about it and was told the Second Edition was the one to get for playing.
Almost bought what I thought was a very expensive copy at a Game Store recently, but held off as it seemed to be SOOO expensive to me....

From what I have seen, the core game usually isn't that expensive unless it is a mint copy.  The expansions are what usually rake in the high prices.  Blackmoor can probably tell you which ones are most sought after and the rarest.

If you do a search on Ebay you will also notice that several third edition copies have sold for much higher than the second edition.  Why that is I don't know.

I picked up the revised 4th edition game and expansions at Gen X comics during NTRPG con and I think they were well worth the expense.  Fantasy Flight really did a nice job with it.

Gnat the Beggar wrote:But Umnn... Why did you say the much-maligned BoardgameGeek?
I have noticed nothing but praise here for that site, which I would agree with.

You should probably read this thread:  boardgamegeek moving into RPGs

I myself dont frequent BGG's forums so I dont ever read any of the apparently looney stuff that goes on over there.  I like the site just fine....although it is sometimes difficult to find things and can be ridiculously slow at times.  Too many pictures of unnecessary stuff.  They should just show pictures of the games themselves and not allow just anyone to post their own pictures.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:37 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:Saw some folks playing Talisman at the NTRPG Convention.

Glad I held off....

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 0167644474

It came in today and it was MUCH cheaper than the one I saw at the game store (Even with shipping).

It looks like there is enough stuff in the box to play the game.
The seller listed a bunch of things, but by sellers count some cards were missing and other cards seemed to be extras (When compared to the box bottom where the list is).

BUT:........
Seller listed 102 Adventure cards (should be 104 per box).
Seller listed one extra Purchase Card and they were in a seperate baggie from the Adv Cards (one of them was actually one of the missing Adv Cards) and one extra Talisman card.... (one was the other missing Adv Card).
The cards are the same size, so I can see how they might get mixed up...
The set is (I think) pretty much complete....according to the list on the bottom of the box.
A few Adventure cards look to have been used for a dogs chew toy, but they are still there....

Dont know how many of those items should be there as the box does not even mention them, but if a couple are missing... does it even matter?
They seem to be much less imporant than the other card types are.

Nice Steal   :D

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:03 am 

I am very happy to finally grab a copy of Ironworld / Ironhedge boxed set!

** expired/removed eBay auction **

with Starhedge supplement included. And with all dice and unused pencil included!
It is only the 2nd time that I saw one for sale. More than HTF.

A previous post on Acaeum about Ironhedge

about8034.html

And a question for Mark:
You stated 1990 for Ironhedge manifesto rulebook. Is your copy a later print? Since my two rulebook stated 1989.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:14 am 

lokiwookie wrote:And a question for Mark:
You stated 1990 for Ironhedge manifesto rulebook. Is your copy a later print? Since my two rulebook stated 1989.

Nice find.  I recently traded for the same boxed set but my copy is still in shrink so its good to see the contents of an open set :)

I will have to check the copyright date on the individual book though.  I bought the 4 books of the hedge series but only opened the Starhedge one I think and it was 1990 so I guessed that all of them were the same.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:05 pm 

Mars wrote:
Nice find.  I recently traded for the same boxed set but my copy is still in shrink so its good to see the contents of an open set :)

I will have to check the copyright date on the individual book though.  I bought the 4 books of the hedge series but only opened the Starhedge one I think and it was 1990 so I guessed that all of them were the same.

Looks like the one I have too...though I never got the dice or pencil :(

Politician, Tree, Rope...Some Assembly Required

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:41 pm 

Finally got a copy of Lordly Domains.  It's the Green Knight reprint, but the price was right ($25) and the picture looked nice and minty.

I'll find out when it arrives for certain, I guess. :)

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:00 pm 

g026r wrote:Finally got a copy of Lordly Domains.  It's the Green Knight reprint, but the price was right ($25) and the picture looked nice and minty.

I think that one is a little harder to find than the Chaosium original.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:14 pm 

g026r wrote:Finally got a copy of Lordly Domains.  It's the Green Knight reprint, but the price was right ($25) and the picture looked nice and minty.

Saw that one last night.. not a bad pickup and nice and minty...

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:26 pm 

A recent E-Bay fun find (Fun for me anyway).
I do not buy a lot of Miniatures, but when I saw this one I was very interested since I have always been a fan of Larry Elmores work...
I was quite shocked when my first bid won the listing.
I was the only bidder in fact.

Company: Dark Sword.
Masterworks Miniatures.
Set 2: In the original Shrink Wrap.
Six unpainted miniatures based on Larry Elmore Artwork.

My winning bid was $10.... with $7 shipping.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:32 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:My winning bid was $10.... with $7 shipping.

Geez, you're going to run out of cash if you're not careful with all these impulse buys :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:42 pm 

Pardon me...but is that a picture of a fantasy wench who just left a big, steaming pile of crap?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:45 am 

Yesss... at last I got them and all together*:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Do you remember my desperate pleas "If anybody had any Game Merchaindising magazines please contact me... sniff..."?

*I don't know if they are the entire run of the magazine, but I strongly suspect it.

Shipping was a bitch but, what the hell, I waited seven years  8O  for these magazines to appear!  8)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:28 am 

I remember your info requests/etc., Ciro, but I don't recall why you were interested in the mags themselves?---lots of TSR info/content, or just good context on the industry at that time??

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 85 of 114123 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 112113114