The former Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 83 of 114123 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 112113114
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:14 pm 

I stopped by one of the local game stores on the way home from work today on the extreme off chance that something interesting would be there.  I only do this once or twice a year and generally leave empty handed.  Their oop selection is very limited and unlikely to yield anything of interest so I usually just peruse the Goodman and TLG stuff to see if I missed anything.  Lo and behold, a minty fresh Castle Zagyg: Upper Works!  Complete, perfect condition, not even any shelf-wear to speak of.  As a chronic over-payer, getting this at cover price is pretty much my one and only bargain story.  :D

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:35 pm 

Nice catch, blackdougal.  Especially since I was willing to pay $200.00 for mine.

Martin

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:27 am 

Nice!  Proves that not every FLGS is constantly patrolled by an Acaeum member!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:19 am 

TheHistorian wrote:Nice!  Proves that not every FLGS is constantly patrolled by an Acaeum member!

Texas may be full of us but I think I'm the only one in Houston.  :wink:

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:22 pm 

Just had the winning bid for a complete run of Scorcerer's Apprentice Magazine.

Issues 1-9/10 and 11-17.
For those not already aware, Issues 9 and 10 of the SA were combined into a single issue.
And they all look to be in VERY Nice condition.
At $64.65 for 16 magazines with free SH  (slightly over $4 per issue total) Though I am happy it happened (Obviously) I never dreamed I would win this listing at anywhere near that price.

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... tsupported

After looking at filling the gaps in my collection of this magazine for some time, I am very pleased and happily surprised. 8)  :D

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:27 pm 

I think all of those lots sold fairly cheap - they were a good buy for all the winners.  If you have extras of any of the Sorcerer's Apprentice, I think there is still one issue that I am missing.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:29 pm 

Mars wrote:I think all of those lots sold fairly cheap - they were a good buy for all the winners.  If you have extras of any of the Sorcerer's Apprentice, I think there is still one issue that I am missing.

Yes, I do.
Once this lot arrives I would be happy to part with some.
Look at your collection and let me know what issue (s) you need.

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:43 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:Just had the winning bid for a complete run of Scorcerer's Apprentice Magazine.

Issues 1-9/10 and 11-17.
For those not already aware, Issues 9 and 10 of the SA were combined into a single issue.
And they all look to be in VERY Nice condition.
At $64.65 for 16 magazines with free SH  (slightly over $4 per issue total) Though I am happy it happened (Obviously) I never dreamed I would win this listing at anywhere near that price.

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... tsupported

After looking at filling the gaps in my collection of this magazine for some time, I am very pleased and happily surprised. 8)  :D

I was thinking of bidding on this (but I am way, way overextended on my purchases right now). I'm glad I didnt. Excellent win. Keep in mind that these also contain material by Karl Edward Wagner. These issues cross over from just RPG collectables to those collecting Wagner's material as well.

A truly exceptional win.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:51 pm 

I will now stake-out Gnat the Beggar's mailbox and get them for free. :twisted:

Martin

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:54 pm 

Is SA D&D, General RPG or T&T?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:00 pm 

. wrote:Is SA D&D, General RPG or T&T?

The early issues are T&T dont know about the later issues after 8 or so.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:14 pm 

. wrote:Is SA D&D, General RPG or T&T?

SA was moderately diverse in its contents IMO:

Every issue dealt with stories and articles having to do with Tunnels and Trolls, Play by Mail, and other Flying Buffalo Offerings.
Most issues included a solo adventure (printed along the sidebars of most pages).
Some issues also included a short Game Master Adventure.

However, several issues also featured articles and opinion pieces about other games, some not even dealing with Fantasy.
Each issue also featured at least one short story, most of them being fantasy related.

In Issue 2:
Poul Anderson wrote a short article about Trolls.
Charles de Lint wrote a 4 page short fiction story about a female Bounty Hunter looking for the target of her current contract in a small seaside town (The Fair, the Foul, and the Foolish)
There is also an article about the novel Watership Down in the same issue by Terry Ballard.

In Issue 4:
There is an article on the new gaming medium (Then it was new) videodiscs, not at all limited to fantasy, much less T&T.
An Article about Dwarves in fantasy gaming.
There is an Article by Rocky Russo about whether the use of archery was a cowardly act in mid-evil times.
There is a short story by Tanith Lee (Monkey's Stagger)

In Issue 5:
Roger Zelanzy short fiction (Passage to Dilfar)
J.E.Coplin Short Fiction (Redcap)

In Issue 9/10 (The combined issue)
Another short story by Roger Zelanzy (Thelinde's Song)
Endgame by Victor Milan.
Non-Fiction articles:
Farmers, Chieftans, Bards and Priates of Ancitent Ireland
The Real Heroic Barbarian
Languages in AlienToungues.

In Issue 11:
There is an article about Monsters in the Cthulhu Mythos.
Another about adapting Ardiun PCs to T&T.

I can imagine waiting out each Quarter for the next issue to be mailed.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:51 pm 

I need SA 16 if you have that as a double.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:21 pm 

Prufrock wrote:I will now stake-out Gnat the Beggar's mailbox and get them for free. :twisted:

Martin

Martin, I work at home most days now and my dogs help me get the mail. 8O

Shane/Plaag...
Unfortunately Issue 16 is not one of the Issues that I will have as an extra. :(

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:19 am 

Prufrock wrote:I will now stake-out Gnat the Beggar's mailbox and get them for free. :twisted:

Martin

That would require going to a secret location in Texas in July.

What you'll find in the mailbox will be melted cheese somewhat in the faded shape of magazines.

I haven't been to Texas since I was three, but I've watched a lot of episodes of Cops.

Apparently, it's so hot in Texas that the local neighborhood association has a rule requiring every male to be drunk and shirtless as soon as they get home from work.  (I presume that the same rule applies to females, but the Cops people blurred them out...?)  8O

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:52 pm 

A nice little Wizard's Aide arrived -- nothing spectacular in it, but I do think the last few pages are kinda neat, regarding the random name generation based on sound... hehe. Glad I did not pay much for this book.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:06 pm 

I sure do like coming home to a stack of boxes on my doorstep...almost as much fun as Christmas.  :)   I definitely have some reading time set aside for this weekend.  I'll probably dive into this first:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Then I'll spend some time reading through some stuff I picked up from Brave Halfling Publishing.  I ordered Obregon's Dishonor and The Ruins of Ramat a few weeks ago but my order got delayed.  When I contacted them about it they were really cool about it and sent me two extra adventure modules (including their brand new C&C module, The Secret of Ronan Skerry) as a nice gesture.  I've already read a couple of their other publications and it is pretty good stuff.

And the last thing that was delivered was this:

I paid way too damn much for it IMO but I have waited long enough to pick one up.  :D

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:00 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:I sure do like coming home to a stack of boxes on my doorstep...almost as much fun as Christmas.  :)   I definitely have some reading time set aside for this weekend.  I'll probably dive into this first:

Then I'll spend some time reading through some stuff I picked up from Brave Halfling Publishing.  I ordered Obregon's Dishonor and The Ruins of Ramat a few weeks ago but my order got delayed.  When I contacted them about it they were really cool about it and sent me two extra adventure modules (including their brand new C&C module, The Secret of Ronan Skerry) as a nice gesture.  I've already read a couple of their other publications and it is pretty good stuff.

And the last thing that was delivered was this:

I paid way too damn much for it IMO but I have waited long enough to pick one up.  :D

Oooo!  You did have a lot of joy on your doorstep.  Congrats! :)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 83 of 114123 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 112113114