The former Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 74 of 114123 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 112113114
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:32 am 

serleran wrote:Its a very simple game. You roll 2d6 for movement against a fixed board (think Clue) that can change based on the adventure (ie, hallways might be blocked off and the contents change) and then you fight stuff, win, or die. Combat is very easy -- you roll a number of dice equal to your attack and each of a certain symbol counts as a wound -- the monster then rolls its defense and each of a different symbol nullifies one of your hits; what's left over from your attack is taken from the monster's HP (wounds.) Process reverses when they attack you. There are spells (one use each per board) and magic items to find, and a book of quests (and added quests with the expansions) to play through that get progressively harder due to you retaining what you earned from before -- there are some major differences between the UK and US version as well. Its very simplistic and extremely easy to add to -- we used to have rules for playing monsters, new classes, races, equipment, quests, spells, and everything -- its like a micro RPG, in some ways.

If you have a young child, this is one of the BEST games you can play. I have all the US and UK expansions, and my son absolutely loves it!

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:59 pm 

Hey Guys,

Got the Beastmaker Mountain in the mail today.  It's in better shape than the photo in the auction represents.  The photo was taken with the mod in a plastic sleeve and so it kind of looked beat up.  Except for some corner damage it is in Fine condition.

Have not gotten the Kobold Hall yet.

Martin

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:03 am 

Prufrock wrote:Hey Guys,

Got the Beastmaker Mountain in the mail today.  It's in better shape than the photo in the auction represents.  The photo was taken with the mod in a plastic sleeve and so it kind of looked beat up.  Except for some corner damage it is in Fine condition.

Have not gotten the Kobold Hall yet.

Martin

Very nice, maybe you could run one at gencon :)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:06 am 

Sorry Blackmoor I have never DMed in my life.  It would be a
cluster%$&#!!!!

Martin

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:53 am 

BeastMaker is a fun one to run! :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:30 pm 

Alright, well, I had posted this before, and then deleted the posts since I had asked for help identifying everything... and now, I don't need the help with that as I managed to wiggle it out thanks to the JG subweb and some time to actually read rather than skim. Anyway, I bought some stuff from a guy, paying a little more than $200 to get the following --

Judges Guild products, all with maps present and whatever miscellaneous things were supposed to be there:

Frontier Forts of Kelnore - 1st Print
Ready Ref Sheets Package / Book 2nd Edition - 3rd Printing
Guide to the City State - 1st Printing
Wilderlands of High Fantasy Book II - 1st Printing
The Thieves Fortress of Badabaskor - 1st Printing
City State of the Invincible Overlord - 1st Printing
Village Book 1 - 1st Printing
War Cry and Battle Lust - 1st Printing
Trial By Fire - 1st Printing [Missing Cover / Photocopy?]
The Book of Ruins - 2nd Printing [Missing Cover / Photocopy?]
Temple Book I - 1st Printing
Village Book 2 - 1st Printing [Cover Tore]
Zienteck - 1st Printing [Missing Cover / Photocopy?]
Wilderlands of the Magic Realm - 1st Printing
City State of the World Emperor - 1st Printing
Gen Con IX Dungeons - 4th Printing

These weren't all in near mint shape, but on the whole, I'd rate them as Excellent or Very Good at the worst (one book had a tear on the cover, but I wanted it to play with anyway).

Also some Morrow Project stuff included, all assumed to be 1st printing:

TM1-1: The Morrow Project
The Morrow Project Director's Screen
R-001: Liberation at Riverton
R-002: Damocles
R-003: Operation Lucifer
R-004: The Ruins of Chicago

And, a little bit of miscellaneous things:

The Armory Volume I: Gunpowder Weapons from the 14th Century to the Present
The Temple to Athena [Dimension Six, Inc]
Town of Joundan [Dimension Six, Inc]
Towns of the Outlands [Midkemia Press]
The Palladium Book of Weapons and Castles

I'm very pleased with the purchase. Gives me some very nice play copies of stuff, and made me dig through the information which is never a bad thing.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:57 pm 

It's a newer product, but I missed this back when it was offered:  
** expired/removed eBay auction **

Nice to get myself a copy. :D

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:09 pm 

g026r wrote:It's a newer product, but I missed this back when it was offered:  

Nice to get myself a copy. :D

Considering the MSRP for the final version is $40, that's a great deal!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:11 am 

What does the Seller mean by 'pre-release copy'? According to Schick's Heroic Worlds, the first edition was just 16 pages, self-covered and released in 1980. That seems like a later compact version in a perfect bound book. Does anyone know how many versions there are?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:56 am 

This is the newer version of the book that was released not so long ago.  I seem to recall the book took a long time to develop and get out so they offered a pre-release.  It was a bit pricey so I didn't buy it.

As far as prints go, all the early ones are short.   There is a white covered version that says "not for resale" on the cover that came with the Runequest(?) boxed set and also a later print with a sci fi type cover:

I think there might be another version of this as well but my brain isn't functioning yet this morning.

For the later big copies, they look like this:

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:08 am 

Mars wrote:This is the newer version of the book that was released not so long ago.  I seem to recall the book took a long time to develop and get out so they offered a pre-release.  It was a bit pricey so I didn't buy it.

Quite pricey.  I think it had the same price as the final release.  That's likewise the reason why I didn't buy it at the time.

As far as prints go, all the early ones are short.   There is a white covered version that says "not for resale" on the cover that came with the Runequest(?) boxed set

Yeah, Runequest 2nd ed. had the white paper cover "Not for Resale" copies.  Not certain what other sets it was in, if any.

and also a later print with a sci fi type cover:

That's the print from around 2002 or so.  The cover's actually a Stormbringer-related piece of artwork; it was supposed to be used for "Straits of Chaos", their second d20 Stormbringer adventure, but the book was canceled.

I think there might be another version of this as well but my brain isn't functioning yet this morning.

Two other versions, actually:

There was the second version which had the same cover artwork as the pre-release copy I just bought.  It had a cardstock cover and a page of counters.

There was also a third version which came in two different formats: one looked the same as the "Not for Resale" version (white paper cover, etc) except it didn't have that text on it.  The other had a white cardstock cover with a green version of the above dragon.  This third printing can be found in Worlds of Wonder and possibly some other games.  The counters from the second version are no longer present.

Actually, 3 other versions now that I think of it.  The copies found in the Castle Paths, Village Paths, and Fantasy Paths tile sets had some extra text printed on them from what I recall.  (Just said they were special printings for whatever the company that made the tiles was called.  Otherwise they looked like the white paper cover versions.)

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:34 am 

The copies found in the Castle Paths, Village Paths, and Fantasy Paths tile sets had some extra text printed on them from what I recall.  (Just said they were special printings for whatever the company that made the tiles was called.

Special XXXX Paths edition for BCS Inc. [fill in XXXX with Fantasy, etc].

Third edition BRP included, copyright 1980, 1981

So, yep. Pretty much identical.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:16 pm 

re: basic roleplaying

A lot of versions then! Here is a RQ2 with the original print it seems:

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:32 pm 

Picked up NIP's Good King Despot for under $10, including shipping.   :D

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:26 am 

Couldn't resist bidding on this. May have paid too much, no idea what it is worth. A$20 is now about US$12-13.

The Seller mentions that it is re-bound - but I have seen other prints like this with the black spiral binding. Notably this one, which I assume is a tad overpriced:

Another one!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:15 pm 

HermitfromPluto,

Thanks for the heads up on the Monsters Monsters.  I grabbed the 2nd print for $60.  I have been looking for one of these for 2 years.  So I had no problem with the $60.  A bit much maybe, but like I said I've been after one of these for a long time.

Martin

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:14 am 

Glad to be of help!  

Is mine a good deal then? How many different versions are there? Anyone have any idea on what the different print versions should fetch?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:25 am 

Prufrock wrote:Thanks for the heads up on the Monsters Monsters.  I grabbed the 2nd print for $60.

says 2nd print or by cover price?? thought tot had wrong way as presuming increase $ not decrease to undercut + help sales. was $7 late 1976 think reduced $5.95 later not earlier

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 74 of 114123 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 112113114