The former Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 62 of 114123 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 112113114
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:50 pm 

Well, they have not yet arrived, but when the last item does, I will have completed my Earthdawn set, finally, after 7 years searching. The last item was Earthdawn Journal #4 which I bought off Amazon of all places.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:54 pm 

serleran wrote:Well, they have not yet arrived, but when the last item does, I will have completed my Earthdawn set, finally, after 7 years searching. The last item was Earthdawn Journal #4 which I bought off Amazon of all places.

Oh.. how much? (if you don;t mind me asking;)

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:00 pm 

It was $21.95, which is high, I'm sure, but I saw it this way: I still had $15 on a gift card from my work, so I wasn't paying a whole lot out of pocket, and it was the last item I needed, so I was willing to pay a little more for it than I should.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:39 am 

megnelwil wrote:Finally managed to pick up a copy of Pagan's Weapons Compendium - I hope. Just wanted to check with anyone who happens to know - the book has green front and back card covers and is bound by black plastic strips along the spine. Pages appear to be fairly low quality photocopies. Do I have the genuine article? Is there any way of telling for sure?

If want to post a digital pic at least I can speak to differences from my printing, but IIRC, there are at least two different cover colors out there??

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:27 am 

Paid a bit more for this than I would have liked to.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

But it is one of those items that is so interesting and unique that I dont really mind too much.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:31 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Paid a bit more for this than I would have liked to.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

yes a wonderfull material. And for cheap! Last copies I saw went for much than that!

Plaag wrote:Is that worth something? because I picked mine up from Crazy Egor at last years GenCon for under a $1. :?

At least very hard to find. I am still looking for one copy :(

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:53 pm 

lokiwookie wrote:At least very hard to find. I am still looking for one copy :(

They don't usually sell for much but I have only seen 3 or 4 copies for sale.  I got my first copy in a trade with McDuffie (now to try and find it).

In searching though I found my extra copy of Exploiting Space (I'd been looking for this for a few months):
 Page not found | Pen & Paper News

I had almost convinced myself I only had one copy - good to see I'm not going completely crazy - just need a slightly better filing system :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:59 pm 

I just found a copy of Pandemonium! the tabloid press RPG.  

It is a game based around investigating stories from the tabloid press.

Does anyone else have it?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:17 pm 

Just arrived today...not exactly a game item, but related...and I needed to tell someone....

The Adventures of Lucius Leffing, by Joseph Payne Brennan.

This is a compilation of the Leffing supernatural mystery stories by Brennan.

My copy was $10 from Powell Books in Portland, Oregon.

The inside flap has a  $50 price written in it.

This is one of a limited print run of 1000 and is signed both by Brennan and the illustrator, Luis Ferreira.

My copy has the dust jacked encased in library quality dust jacket protector (plastic envelope sort of) thingy.

So...very nice...and I am most happy.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:50 pm 

FormCritic wrote:I just found a copy of Pandemonium! the tabloid press RPG.  

I have seen this a number of times but haven't got around to picking it up yet.  It doesn't quite fall into the Fantasy or Sci Fi RPGs category and I don't know that I want to expand my range any further :)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:04 pm 

I just found a copy of Pandemonium! the tabloid press RPG.  

It is a game based around investigating stories from the tabloid press.

Yes, I have it. Bought it off OEJ for $1. Interesting game, really. I want to combine it with Chill and Call of Cthulhu to have some very weird game sessions.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:34 pm 

serleran wrote: I want to combine it with Chill and Call of Cthulhu to have some very weird game sessions.

It does sound very CoCesque, especially since in the HPL story CoC, the protagonist finds out about Cthulhu cults by tracking international news stories.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:03 pm 

FormCritic wrote:My copy was $10 from Powell Books in Portland, Oregon.

[threadjack]

Best used book store in the country; nothing even comes close. Any book-lover visiting the Portland area for the first time will be left speechless by the main branch on Burnside Ave.

[/threadjack]

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:30 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:[threadjack]

Best used book store in the country; nothing even comes close. Any book-lover visiting the Portland area for the first time will be left speechless by the main branch on Burnside Ave.

[/threadjack]

Your first few times in the store, you actually need a map to find your way around.  Very cool.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:43 pm 

[/continues threadjack]

When I was still in CA, I liked the Bodhi Tree as a used bookstore - great if you were looking for rare or OoP "alternative religion" books, but not so good for RPGs. :)

[/end threadjack]

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:52 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:[threadjack]

[/threadjack]

I've been to the Powell books (two of them) in Portland...nothing comes close. However, they aren't the place for a deal....books (and RPGs) tend to be priced at the Amazon/ABEbooks standard of "what the market will bear."

For my money Half Price Books will never be beat.  The staff often places stuff out there, at half price, that will blow your mind, simply because THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL THEY ARE DOING. It's the closest thing to a modern day treasure hunt there is in the 21st century.  While on the Free RPG Day pilgrimmage this weekend, we stopped at a nearby HPB for a quick look around.  I found one book..it was a Babylon 5 hardcover collection I had never seen in several years of searching, and it sells on Ebay in the $50-$100 range because of it's rarity. My price? $6.  If it had been in Powell Books, it WOULD have been $125 as the knowledgable staff there would never have let it slip through the cracks to be put on the shelf at a bargain price.
Powell Books is the fancy steakhouse of the bookstore world, while HPB is the In and Out Burger....both are sure tasty....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:17 am 

Badmike wrote:
I've been to the Powell books (two of them) in Portland...nothing comes close. However, they aren't the place for a deal....books (and RPGs) tend to be priced at the Amazon/ABEbooks standard of "what the market will bear."

For my money Half Price Books will never be beat.  The staff often places stuff out there, at half price, that will blow your mind, simply because THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL THEY ARE DOING. It's the closest thing to a modern day treasure hunt there is in the 21st century.  While on the Free RPG Day pilgrimmage this weekend, we stopped at a nearby HPB for a quick look around.  I found one book..it was a Babylon 5 hardcover collection I had never seen in several years of searching, and it sells on Ebay in the $50-$100 range because of it's rarity. My price? $6.  If it had been in Powell Books, it WOULD have been $125 as the knowledgable staff there would never have let it slip through the cracks to be put on the shelf at a bargain price.
Powell Books is the fancy steakhouse of the bookstore world, while HPB is the In and Out Burger....both are sure tasty....

Mike B.

No...Powells is not really a good game collector place.  The people there know too much.

Would someone please lure away the knowledgeable people who work at my nearst Half Price Books?  Those dudes know way too much.  I suspect they keep the good stuff for themselves...the jerks!  :x

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:11 am 

serleran wrote:[/continues threadjack]

When I was still in CA, I liked the Bodhi Tree as a used bookstore - great if you were looking for rare or OoP "alternative religion" books, but not so good for RPGs. :)

[/end threadjack]

when i stayed in venice beach, waaaaay back in like '95, i went to this bookshop on the front. it was on its way to santa monica pier (we walked along the front)....to this day, its STILL the best bookshop i ever got to visit.

cant remember the name, but i have the receipt still in the box somewhere, so i would remember the name of the shop.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 62 of 114123 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 112113114