The former Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 52 of 103123 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 101102103
Author

User avatar

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 1665
Joined: Jul 01, 2006
Last Visit: Apr 06, 2021
Location: Moncton, NB Canada

Post Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:12 am 
 

Sorry, did not specifically intend to demean the memory of Saint Reagan... :twisted:

Edit: This is my last post on this in this thread (sorry to post so off-topic).


Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 02, 2021

Post Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:07 pm 
 

jasonw1239 wrote:Sorry, did not specifically intend to demean the memory of Saint Reagan... :twisted:

Edit: This is my last post on this in this thread (sorry to post so off-topic).


Didn't mean to snap at you so hard, Jason.  Don't take it to heart.  8)


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2332
Joined: Feb 20, 2006
Last Visit: Aug 27, 2017
Location: Shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods

Post Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:28 pm 
 

Which figures did Grenadier gold plate?  I was aware of the orc, and then I saw this one while scrolling through some overpriced minis:

. . .  
** expired eBay auction **


Is this a genuine Grenadier gold-plated mini, or is it someone's after-market modification?

Another seller has four gold-plated Ral Partha minis for $49.99 (ouch!)

  


Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5618
Joined: Nov 16, 2002
Last Visit: Apr 09, 2021
Location: Wichita, KS, USA

Post Posted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:34 am 
 

As far as I know, the only officially gold-plated Grenadier figures were the orc shaman and the wizard, with rumors of the gold-plated basilisk.  This per Terence Gunn (who wrote the Fantastic Worlds of Grenadier book).  

I'll see if he can chime in here with some additional input :D


Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

 WWW  


Active Collector

Posts: 16
Joined: Dec 30, 2006
Last Visit: Aug 18, 2020
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL

Post Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:40 pm 
 

JohnGaunt wrote:Which figures did Grenadier gold plate?  I was aware of the orc, and then I saw this one while scrolling through some overpriced minis:

. . .  
** expired eBay auction **


Is this a genuine Grenadier gold-plated mini, or is it someone's after-market modification?

Another seller has four gold-plated Ral Partha minis for $49.99 (ouch!)


Doesn't look gold plated to me. Maybe just the lighting? You'd think the seller would mention that it was gold compared to all the other minis he sells. Am I missing something in the description?

 YIM  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5626
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021
Location: New Hampsha

Post Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:23 pm 
 

Did the gold minis come separate or in the regular boxed sets?


If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

 WWW  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3591
Joined: Dec 20, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 09, 2021
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:44 pm 
 

Deadlord39 wrote:Did the gold minis come separate or in the regular boxed sets?


Greandier ones came in the boxset, the Ral Partha ones were for Fan Club Members availble via the mail


Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5626
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021
Location: New Hampsha

Post Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:47 am 
 

Were they randomly placed in the Gren boxes?


If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

 WWW  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3795
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 25, 2021

Post Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:41 am 
 

That was always my understanding.  I recall the manager of the local hobby shop saying something like that back in the day.


Let mirth prevail!

  


Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5618
Joined: Nov 16, 2002
Last Visit: Apr 09, 2021
Location: Wichita, KS, USA

Post Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:49 am 
 

Yes, it was part of a promo for the TSR Gold line of figures.  IIRC, you would get the figure and a form, and then if you turned in the form, you were entered into a drawing to win an ounce of real gold or somesuch.


Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5626
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021
Location: New Hampsha

Post Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:08 am 
 

Ah, then I will deshrink the Gren boxes I have. Thanks, guys!


If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

 WWW  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1253
Joined: Jan 01, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 07, 2021

Post Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:28 pm 
 

Before you deshrink those boxes, I think the gold figures only came in the Orcs and Wizards box sets where the regular lead versions would usually be.  I've changed my avatar to show the two gold plated figs.

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5626
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021
Location: New Hampsha

Post Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 3:04 pm 
 

Ah, I should have figured that out............ Thanks, Mandy!


If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

 WWW  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2332
Joined: Feb 20, 2006
Last Visit: Aug 27, 2017
Location: Shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods

Post Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:36 pm 
 

Woo-hoo!  I found a Dark Tower for under $10 . . .

It's this version: http://www.taloncomics.com/rpgrealms.html).  Is this considered to be the "Highlander 2" version of Dark Tower?  Is it really that bad?

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 4485
Joined: Nov 08, 2002
Last Visit: Apr 09, 2021
Location: Land of 10,000 ponds

Post Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:44 pm 
 

JohnGaunt wrote:Woo-hoo!  I found a Dark Tower for under $10 . . .

It's this version: http://www.taloncomics.com/rpgrealms.html).  Is this considered to be the "Highlander 2" version of Dark Tower?  Is it really that bad?


Did you actually buy it, because it looks like that site hasn't been updated in a while.  As for that version, eh maybe I've just forgotten it .. but Highlander 2 rating is priceless :lol:

ShaneG.


I reject your reality and substitute my own

 WWW  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2332
Joined: Feb 20, 2006
Last Visit: Aug 27, 2017
Location: Shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods

Post Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:38 pm 
 

Plaag wrote:Did you actually buy it, because it looks like that site hasn't been updated in a while.  As for that version, eh maybe I've just forgotten it .. but Highlander 2 rating is priceless :lol:

Yes, I bought it.  I saw it on a shelf and tried to reconcilde the title with the cover art.    It is has all of the right parts --- a JG logo, Paul Jaquay's name under "Design", and a Booty List in back.  It is an official d20 release dated 2001 from RPG Realms, though I read something on a Goodman Games forum that said it is not to be spoken of.  :)

[Edit:  James Mishler made the post on the Goodman Games forums.  It reads "The QuickLink version of Dark Tower belongs in that same unholy parallel universe where can be found the Mayfair Games version of the City State. We speak not of either in good company...    :roll: "   Goodman Games • View topic - Dark Tower 2007 ]

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 6070
Joined: May 03, 2003
Last Visit: Mar 29, 2021
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:09 pm 
 

JohnGaunt wrote:Yes, I bought it.  I saw it on a shelf and tried to reconcilde the title with the cover art.


Does this mean you went to their store and picked it up in person?  I have had trouble with Talon Comics online before.  I ordered a couple things from their website and it brought me through their automatic payment system but nothing ever showed up.  I had to file a paypal claim 30 days later to get the money refunded.  The Talon guys apologized and told me it had been out of stock for a while.  Looking at their website, that item is still listed as available  so they really don't do a very good job at updated.

 WWW  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2332
Joined: Feb 20, 2006
Last Visit: Aug 27, 2017
Location: Shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods

Post Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:45 pm 
 

Mars wrote:Does this mean you went to their store and picked it up in person?  I have had trouble with Talon Comics online before.  I ordered a couple things from their website and it brought me through their automatic payment system but nothing ever showed up.  I had to file a paypal claim 30 days later to get the money refunded.  The Talon guys apologized and told me it had been out of stock for a while.  Looking at their website, that item is still listed as available  so they really don't do a very good job at updated.

No, I was at a Half-Price Books and found it sitting amidst the 3E crap, errr, soon-to-be-valuable 3E supplements.

Talon Comics was the first website that had pictures of RPG Realms' items.

  


Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2884
Joined: Nov 04, 2004
Last Visit: May 09, 2020

Post Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:05 pm 
 

Borderlands plus both expansions for less than I would have paid just for the base game:


** expired eBay auction **


Booya!

(Lesson for any new sellers out there: the seller didn't do himself any favors by hiding the fact that the super-rare expansions were included)

Complete Eon Products collection, here I come!  :)

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:26 pm 
 

Xaxaxe wrote:Borderlands plus both expansions for less than I would have paid just for the base game:


** expired eBay auction **


Booya!

(Lesson for any new sellers out there: the seller didn't do himself any favors by hiding the fact that the super-rare expansions were included)

Complete Eon Products collection, here I come!  :)


nice duke!

that looks like a very cool game too - never even heard of it, and the map looks pretty cool as well.

good heist man!

Al



  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 52 of 103123 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 101102103