S&W kickstarter
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 21, 2
Author


Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3363
Joined: Oct 10, 2006
Last Visit: May 18, 2021
Location: Wandering aimlessly on the 8th level down...

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:58 pm 
 

Ive received an email regarding FGG releasing the S&W kickstarter rules.

I'm confused as to why though, as S&W is already out there?


Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

  

User avatar

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2655
Joined: Sep 25, 2007
Last Visit: Oct 05, 2020
Location: Southwest

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:45 pm 
 

ashmire13 wrote:Ive received an email regarding FGG releasing the S&W kickstarter rules.

I'm confused as to why though, as S&W is already out there?


I thought I remembered seeing a post by Bill describing more what it was about, but I can't seem to locate it. Maybe it was just a brief teaser about it?

To me, it wouldn't make sense for those of us who already purchased the Tome of Horrors and Monastery previously (in S&W obviously) to go in on the $250 level. I'm hoping that to get the better bonus package/items you don't have to be in at the $250 level, as with RA, and that there will be some way for those of us who've been previously supporting S&W to get those better stretch goals.

edit: from re-reading the kickstarter page, it looks like it's really the reprinting and expansion of the Monster Book that buyers are getting something more from.

  


Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3363
Joined: Oct 10, 2006
Last Visit: May 18, 2021
Location: Wandering aimlessly on the 8th level down...

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:34 pm 
 

So not a massive amount then? Seems an odd KS, from what I can see.
Is this essentially a current product, repackaged, expanded slightly and relaunched, buying in on the FGG name and KS historical results?


Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 141
Joined: Jul 11, 2008
Last Visit: Oct 14, 2015

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:18 pm 
 

It's two existing books -- the Kickstarter goal here is to come out with highly improved versions of them. The rulebook will be a stitched hardcover, whereas up front pricing required a regular glue binding on the last printing. Erol Otus cover art is the other step up. For the Monster Book, the focus is on creating illustrations (and the durable binding). The existing Monster Book has very few illustrations.

Except for some collector-oriented material at the top (leather books, etc), this is very much focused toward players. Durable binding, dice, a screen .. very basic, meat-and-potatoes gaming stuff to support the game. The books are incredibly inexpensive at this quality level, because we are trying to do a great, big event that establishes the "gateway drug."  :D

  

User avatar

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2655
Joined: Sep 25, 2007
Last Visit: Oct 05, 2020
Location: Southwest

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:54 pm 
 

Thanks for letting us know, Matt.

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 579
Joined: Jul 22, 2010
Last Visit: Mar 09, 2019
Location: Hong Kong

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:46 pm 
 

misterspock wrote:
To me, it wouldn't make sense for those of us who already purchased the Tome of Horrors and Monastery previously (in S&W obviously) to go in on the $250 level. I'm hoping that to get the better bonus package/items you don't have to be in at the $250 level, as with RA, and that there will be some way for those of us who've been previously supporting S&W to get those better stretch goals.

edit: from re-reading the kickstarter page, it looks like it's really the reprinting and expansion of the Monster Book that buyers are getting something more from.


Hey misterspock,

That was my thinking too as I went through the list.
I already own Tome of Horrors and Monastery so not sure about getting in at the $250 level.
Will most likely be lower.

Best regards,
Ronald

  

User avatar

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2655
Joined: Sep 25, 2007
Last Visit: Oct 05, 2020
Location: Southwest

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:16 am 
 

I just checked back on their kickstarter page
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fro ... on-rolepla
and they're way beyond their funding goal already, so good news again for FGG!

btw, I was curious and did a search for the White Box rules version (not sure if you picked that up a couple years back, Ronald), and NK has it for $199 8O !!!

http://www.nobleknight.com/ProductDetai ... 2147858362

  

User avatar

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Posts: 2563
Joined: Nov 23, 2005
Last Visit: May 18, 2021
Location: Italy

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:45 am 
 

Hey all, i am not the best informed about FGG products, but i'd really love to know when the S&W complete rulebook (signed & numbered version) was issued... and what was the retail price...  (i am ref to this product:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

)

thanks a lot and ciaooo


I am the servant of the Secret Maps, Wielder of the flame of Clone!
You cannot quote! The dark spam will not avail you, flame of Udun.
Go back to the Shadow! You... cannot... post!!!

 WWW  


Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3363
Joined: Oct 10, 2006
Last Visit: May 18, 2021
Location: Wandering aimlessly on the 8th level down...

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:07 pm 
 

Mythmere1 wrote:It's two existing books -- the Kickstarter goal here is to come out with highly improved versions of them. The rulebook will be a stitched hardcover, whereas up front pricing required a regular glue binding on the last printing. Erol Otus cover art is the other step up. For the Monster Book, the focus is on creating illustrations (and the durable binding). The existing Monster Book has very few illustrations.

Except for some collector-oriented material at the top (leather books, etc), this is very much focused toward players. Durable binding, dice, a screen .. very basic, meat-and-potatoes gaming stuff to support the game. The books are incredibly inexpensive at this quality level, because we are trying to do a great, big event that establishes the "gateway drug."  :D


Cheers for clarifying that Matt


Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4750
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: May 05, 2021
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:31 pm 
 

aia wrote:Hey all, i am not the best informed about FGG products, but i'd really love to know when the S&W complete rulebook (signed & numbered version) was issued... and what was the retail price...  (i am ref to this product:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

)

thanks a lot and ciaooo

Can't remember the exact date it was issued but it was in 2010.  It was $39.99 for the signed and numbered hardcover (limited to 100 copies).


You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 579
Joined: Jul 22, 2010
Last Visit: Mar 09, 2019
Location: Hong Kong

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:28 pm 
 

misterspock wrote:I just checked back on their kickstarter page
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fro ... on-rolepla
and they're way beyond their funding goal already, so good news again for FGG!

btw, I was curious and did a search for the White Box rules version (not sure if you picked that up a couple years back, Ronald), and NK has it for $199 8O !!!

http://www.nobleknight.com/ProductDetai ... 2147858362


Hey misterspock,

I didn't pick up the White Box rules version when it first came out.
I hadn't gone through my "mid-life crisis" yet which resulted in restarting my D&D collection after having been away from the game for over 20 years. :)

So I didn't know about S&W or heck even anything after 1992... :)

Best regards,
Ronald

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 398
Joined: Feb 06, 2003
Last Visit: May 16, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:51 am 
 

I didn't back the Rappan Athuk Kickstarter as I have it twice already (modules and boxed set) and I didn't think it was good value. However, this looks better five books for $250 and Rappan Athuk for $100 more. I'm in for $350.

  


Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3363
Joined: Oct 10, 2006
Last Visit: May 18, 2021
Location: Wandering aimlessly on the 8th level down...

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:08 pm 
 

So reading the KS I can get both books and the RA S&W copy for $190?


Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

  

User avatar

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2655
Joined: Sep 25, 2007
Last Visit: Oct 05, 2020
Location: Southwest

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:23 pm 
 

ashmire13 wrote:So reading the KS I can get both books and the RA S&W copy for $190?


looks like $170 for both books and the RA S&W version. For $190, you would also get the GM screen and introductory module.

  


Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3363
Joined: Oct 10, 2006
Last Visit: May 18, 2021
Location: Wandering aimlessly on the 8th level down...

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:17 pm 
 

misterspock wrote:
ashmire13 wrote:So reading the KS I can get both books and the RA S&W copy for $190?


looks like $170 for both books and the RA S&W version. For $190, you would also get the GM screen and introductory module.


Ah, even better. Cheers


Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 430
Joined: Feb 09, 2012
Last Visit: May 11, 2021
Location: Cottonwood, Az

Post Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:25 pm 
 

rhynne wrote:

I hadn't gone through my "mid-life crisis" yet which resulted in restarting my D&D collection after having been away from the game for over 20 years. :)

So I didn't know about S&W or heck even anything after 1992... :)

Best regards,
Ronald


I thought I was the only one with the mid-life crisis RPG renewal. It's nice to know it isn't just me. I hope its less expensive for you :)

Zach



  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 266
Joined: Jun 22, 2010
Last Visit: Apr 26, 2015
Location: Seattle

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:37 pm 
 

Matt basically said it--btw--we will have a special auction or two that I will announce here soon



 WWW  

User avatar

Active Collector

Posts: 40
Joined: Jan 23, 2011
Last Visit: Nov 05, 2020
Location: New Jersey

Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:42 pm 
 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
aia wrote:Hey all, i am not the best informed about FGG products, but i'd really love to know when the S&W complete rulebook (signed & numbered version) was issued... and what was the retail price...  (i am ref to this product:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

)

thanks a lot and ciaooo

Can't remember the exact date it was issued but it was in 2010.  It was $39.99 for the signed and numbered hardcover (limited to 100 copies).


The signed & numbered hardcover went on sale Dec 11, 2010 and sold out the same day. It was signed by Bill Webb and Matt Finch and shipped in the spring. There were some problems with the initial print run - the covers didn't lay flat. Later this first print run was sold as a 'flawed hardcover' for $19.99 on the FG site (no number or signatures). So there are 100 signed hardback copies and up to 100 unsigned 'flawed' copies (Bill said he obtained 'a limited quantity' of them for sale).

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 141
Joined: Jul 11, 2008
Last Visit: Oct 14, 2015

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:32 pm 
 

We are in the last couple of hours of the Kickstarter. Over $75,000 and over 500 backers. In the world of retro-clones, this is some serious big mojo. And we're hearing that it's going to Alliance, and that it could lead to copies being on shelves in Barnes & Noble. Which could be pretty cool for the backers who got their names in the book.  :D

  


Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3363
Joined: Oct 10, 2006
Last Visit: May 18, 2021
Location: Wandering aimlessly on the 8th level down...

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:07 pm 
 

Tempted to dive in, just trying to get the items I'd get most out of. Wondering if the dice or GM screen are more wanted lol


Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

  
Next
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 21, 2