S&W kickstarter
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:58 pm 

Ive received an email regarding FGG releasing the S&W kickstarter rules.

I'm confused as to why though, as S&W is already out there?

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:45 pm 

ashmire13 wrote:Ive received an email regarding FGG releasing the S&W kickstarter rules.

I'm confused as to why though, as S&W is already out there?

I thought I remembered seeing a post by Bill describing more what it was about, but I can't seem to locate it. Maybe it was just a brief teaser about it?

To me, it wouldn't make sense for those of us who already purchased the Tome of Horrors and Monastery previously (in S&W obviously) to go in on the $250 level. I'm hoping that to get the better bonus package/items you don't have to be in at the $250 level, as with RA, and that there will be some way for those of us who've been previously supporting S&W to get those better stretch goals.

edit: from re-reading the kickstarter page, it looks like it's really the reprinting and expansion of the Monster Book that buyers are getting something more from.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:34 pm 

So not a massive amount then? Seems an odd KS, from what I can see.
Is this essentially a current product, repackaged, expanded slightly and relaunched, buying in on the FGG name and KS historical results?

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:18 pm 

It's two existing books -- the Kickstarter goal here is to come out with highly improved versions of them. The rulebook will be a stitched hardcover, whereas up front pricing required a regular glue binding on the last printing. Erol Otus cover art is the other step up. For the Monster Book, the focus is on creating illustrations (and the durable binding). The existing Monster Book has very few illustrations.

Except for some collector-oriented material at the top (leather books, etc), this is very much focused toward players. Durable binding, dice, a screen .. very basic, meat-and-potatoes gaming stuff to support the game. The books are incredibly inexpensive at this quality level, because we are trying to do a great, big event that establishes the "gateway drug."  :D

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:54 pm 

Thanks for letting us know, Matt.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:46 pm 

misterspock wrote:
To me, it wouldn't make sense for those of us who already purchased the Tome of Horrors and Monastery previously (in S&W obviously) to go in on the $250 level. I'm hoping that to get the better bonus package/items you don't have to be in at the $250 level, as with RA, and that there will be some way for those of us who've been previously supporting S&W to get those better stretch goals.

edit: from re-reading the kickstarter page, it looks like it's really the reprinting and expansion of the Monster Book that buyers are getting something more from.

Hey misterspock,

That was my thinking too as I went through the list.
I already own Tome of Horrors and Monastery so not sure about getting in at the $250 level.
Will most likely be lower.

Best regards,
Ronald

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:16 am 

I just checked back on their kickstarter page
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fro ... on-rolepla
and they're way beyond their funding goal already, so good news again for FGG!

btw, I was curious and did a search for the White Box rules version (not sure if you picked that up a couple years back, Ronald), and NK has it for $199 8O !!!

http://www.nobleknight.com/ProductDetai ... 2147858362

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:45 am 

Hey all, i am not the best informed about FGG products, but i'd really love to know when the S&W complete rulebook (signed & numbered version) was issued... and what was the retail price...  (i am ref to this product:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

)

thanks a lot and ciaooo

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:07 pm 

Mythmere1 wrote:It's two existing books -- the Kickstarter goal here is to come out with highly improved versions of them. The rulebook will be a stitched hardcover, whereas up front pricing required a regular glue binding on the last printing. Erol Otus cover art is the other step up. For the Monster Book, the focus is on creating illustrations (and the durable binding). The existing Monster Book has very few illustrations.

Except for some collector-oriented material at the top (leather books, etc), this is very much focused toward players. Durable binding, dice, a screen .. very basic, meat-and-potatoes gaming stuff to support the game. The books are incredibly inexpensive at this quality level, because we are trying to do a great, big event that establishes the "gateway drug."  :D

Cheers for clarifying that Matt

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:31 pm 

aia wrote:Hey all, i am not the best informed about FGG products, but i'd really love to know when the S&W complete rulebook (signed & numbered version) was issued... and what was the retail price...  (i am ref to this product:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

)

thanks a lot and ciaooo

Can't remember the exact date it was issued but it was in 2010.  It was $39.99 for the signed and numbered hardcover (limited to 100 copies).

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:28 pm 

misterspock wrote:I just checked back on their kickstarter page
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fro ... on-rolepla
and they're way beyond their funding goal already, so good news again for FGG!

btw, I was curious and did a search for the White Box rules version (not sure if you picked that up a couple years back, Ronald), and NK has it for $199 8O !!!

http://www.nobleknight.com/ProductDetai ... 2147858362

Hey misterspock,

I didn't pick up the White Box rules version when it first came out.
I hadn't gone through my "mid-life crisis" yet which resulted in restarting my D&D collection after having been away from the game for over 20 years. :)

So I didn't know about S&W or heck even anything after 1992... :)

Best regards,
Ronald

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:51 am 

I didn't back the Rappan Athuk Kickstarter as I have it twice already (modules and boxed set) and I didn't think it was good value. However, this looks better five books for $250 and Rappan Athuk for $100 more. I'm in for $350.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:08 pm 

So reading the KS I can get both books and the RA S&W copy for $190?

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:23 pm 

ashmire13 wrote:So reading the KS I can get both books and the RA S&W copy for $190?

looks like $170 for both books and the RA S&W version. For $190, you would also get the GM screen and introductory module.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:17 pm 

misterspock wrote:
ashmire13 wrote:So reading the KS I can get both books and the RA S&W copy for $190?

looks like $170 for both books and the RA S&W version. For $190, you would also get the GM screen and introductory module.

Ah, even better. Cheers

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:25 pm 

rhynne wrote:

I hadn't gone through my "mid-life crisis" yet which resulted in restarting my D&D collection after having been away from the game for over 20 years. :)

So I didn't know about S&W or heck even anything after 1992... :)

Best regards,
Ronald

I thought I was the only one with the mid-life crisis RPG renewal. It's nice to know it isn't just me. I hope its less expensive for you :)

Zach

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:37 pm 

Matt basically said it--btw--we will have a special auction or two that I will announce here soon

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:42 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
aia wrote:Hey all, i am not the best informed about FGG products, but i'd really love to know when the S&W complete rulebook (signed & numbered version) was issued... and what was the retail price...  (i am ref to this product:

)

thanks a lot and ciaooo

Can't remember the exact date it was issued but it was in 2010.  It was $39.99 for the signed and numbered hardcover (limited to 100 copies).

The signed & numbered hardcover went on sale Dec 11, 2010 and sold out the same day. It was signed by Bill Webb and Matt Finch and shipped in the spring. There were some problems with the initial print run - the covers didn't lay flat. Later this first print run was sold as a 'flawed hardcover' for $19.99 on the FG site (no number or signatures). So there are 100 signed hardback copies and up to 100 unsigned 'flawed' copies (Bill said he obtained 'a limited quantity' of them for sale).

Next