Kickstarter projects
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 52 of 60123 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 585960
Author

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:16 pm 

misterspock wrote in Kickstarter projects:I thought on this end of 2016 I'd post some links to catch us all up on the sad state of various kickstarters:

progress is being made on this, but it's late
Line icon

I'm in for Benoist's and Ernie's kickstarter as well but while very late I'm not worried about it and the maps look fantastic.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:58 pm 

Been following a couple of these projects.
I find it really interesting how much slack is often given to people based on either name recognition of the creator or wishful thinking on behalf of the backer. Frankly some of these beggar belief, and one could be forgiven for thinking that gaming project creators all live in la-la land, with heads full of fantastic ideas but completely void of any business sense (or in fact any sense at all).
I am waiting for an update that tells us that one these guys has been given a good hiding at a gaming con, I'm not condoning such actions but it must only be a matter of time, you can't go around pissing people off forever and never suffer the consequences.
(It may be an unpopular sentiment but perhaps the chaps involved are  lucky that they have so many apologists and blinkered sycophants to fight their corner).

Your opinion may vary, after all what do I know, Rogue 1 was my favourite SW film  :wink:

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:29 am 

Well that was a depressing post misterspock!  I'm only waiting for three KS now, all of which are behind - Cataclysm, City State, and Reaper.  For a while I had 10+ projects on the go.

For me, the shine is definitely off Kickstarter projects.  With the exception of established producers using it for generating pre-orders, I'm out (Goodman and some of our Aceaum friends for instance come to mind)

I hope all the backers involved above get something for their trust and support!

edit:  
With the exception of established producers using it for generating pre-orders, I'm out (Goodman and some of our Aceaum friends for instance come to mind)

Although I'm re-thinking this, for example the Goodman holiday mod cost $24 shipped, Nobleknight copies now at $12.95.  Maybe I'll sit them out altogether in 2017.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:54 pm 

yeah, sorry about the depressing situation. I was just taking stock of what I've been waiting on. There are other kickstarters too that I forgot to list, but I'll leave it at that for now. I'm sure Beasterbrook has a worse list!

Thunderdave wrote in Kickstarter projects:With the exception of established producers using it for generating pre-orders, I'm out (Goodman and some of our Aceaum friends for instance come to mind)

I decided to opt out of the Goodman Games ones awhile back. I've scaled my pledging quite a bit back because of so many of these.

gyg wrote in Kickstarter projects:perhaps the chaps involved are  lucky that they have so many apologists and blinkered sycophants to fight their corner).

I don't understand these people either. It's nuts.

On a positive note though, Terence did a 'fantastic' job on Fantastic Worlds of Grenadier PDT_Armataz_01_34
Line icon

I wish more Kickstarters were run like this.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:58 pm 

Thunderdave wrote in Kickstarter projects:Although I'm re-thinking this, for example the Goodman holiday mod cost $24 shipped, Nobleknight copies now at $12.95.  Maybe I'll sit them out altogether in 2017.

If it's a KS I'm interested in, I'll sign up if there is a KS exclusive, but for what amounts to preorders, I'll just wait. Otherwise I'm paying full price AND have that money tied up for months/years. There are exceptions of course, but I've found that to be a more relaxed approach. Then when the inevitable delay occurs, I'm not bothered.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:23 pm 

Yeah, I like Goodman games stuff but I won't participate in any more of their Kickstarters. Typically, I can find whatever level I back out much cheaper when they release the product. I'm not doing any more preorders. Kickstarter is really made to help get new products to market and not for pre-orders like they are using it for.

I'm limiting mine from here on out to small press items that probably wouldn't see the light of day otherwise or for some that have really good Kickstarter exclusives.

Carpe DM!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:54 pm 

misterspock wrote in Kickstarter projects:On a positive note though, Terence did a 'fantastic' job on Fantastic Worlds of Grenadier PDT_Armataz_01_34
Line icon

I wish more Kickstarters were run like this.

Agreed completely.  If any of you missed out on new edition of The Fantastic Worlds of Grenadier, I'm hoping to have some stock at the Black Blade booth at GaryCon.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:39 pm 

Not to jump on the Ken Whitman train, but these comments from him years ago are priceless (and I thought worth re-posting):

RapidPOD at GenCon - Page 10

KenWhitman
KenWhitman is offline Banned

Join Date    Aug 2002
Location    Brandenburg, KY
Posts    213       

Re: RapidPOD at GenCon

Look a whole group of internet stockers following me around.

How cute.

See what you can find about my college football days, maybe see I was all-state football in 1985. Or look to see that in 1994-1995 I grew GEN CONs attendance by 22% ... each year. Or find my 200 year old hotel worth over 6 million.

OR look up and see that I have sold more copies of games and magazines then EVERYONE stalking me on this list.

Let me end this thread with one last question...

If you people are so smart, how come your not rich?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

He grew GENCON attendance by 22%?

That was the icing on my cake...

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:31 pm 

Fellow Acaeum Members,

Just a quick note to let you know that my latest Kickstarter project, "Off the Beaten Path: Forest Excursions", is launching in the next few hours... this project is the printed book version of my 2016 Patreon work, found at https://patreon.com/throwi.

There are two versions of the print book, a system neutral and Swords & Wizardry (Light) version, each for only $10... $9 if you back it early!

Here is the link to the project:  kickstarter.com/projects/1801954192/off ... excursions

Thanks,

Thom

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:35 pm 

throwi wrote in Kickstarter projects:Fellow Acaeum Members,

Just a quick note to let you know that my latest Kickstarter project, "Off the Beaten Path: Forest Excursions", is launching in the next few hours... this project is the printed book version of my 2016 Patreon work, found at https://patreon.com/throwi.

There are two versions of the print book, a system neutral and Swords & Wizardry (Light) version, each for only $10... $9 if you back it early!

Here is the link to the project:  kickstarter.com/projects/1801954192/off ... excursions

Thanks,

Thom

In for system neutral  :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:59 pm 

Thanks Walter!  Hope to see you in June again!

~throwi

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:47 am 

I love supporting small-press publishers on Kickstarter. They're often good folks with day jobs or garage-band businesses who struggle funding the working capital needed for writers, artists, editors, layout and initial inventory. Plus, they're freed from the corporate constraints that can often limit creativity and expression.

Of course, you HAVE to do some diligence before pledging any money you're not comfortable losing. Does the creator have any successful projects on his record? Do you have any reason to trust the creator as a steward of the project's funding? How much work has already been completed? Is the project too good to be true, perhaps laden with freebies and a timeline that are unrealistic? Simply liking the sales pitch is not enough unless, like I said, you're comfy losing the money.

I made some mistakes in the beginning, but I won't punish the trustworthy little guys on account of the genuine failures (some people just never had a clue and over-promised), crooked guys (long list here) or the bigger companies that exploit the system (what amounts to higher-priced pre-orders).

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:07 pm 

Thanks Chainsaw, I agree!  Just backed Throwi's and Fail Squad's projects... good luck guys :)

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:13 pm 

Thunderdave wrote in Kickstarter projects:Thanks Chainsaw, I agree!  Just backed Throwi's and Fail Squad's projects... good luck guys :)

People have a right to be frustrated and angry sometimes. I've been one of them and totally understand! So, I think maybe I was talking to myself more than any of you. Sorry if I came across otherwise.  :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:47 am 

Thunderdave wrote in Kickstarter projects:Thanks Chainsaw, I agree!  Just backed Throwi's and Fail Squad's projects... good luck guys :)

Thanks Dave!

~throwi

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:50 am 

Chainsaw wrote in Kickstarter projects:

People have a right to be frustrated and angry sometimes. I've been one of them and totally understand! So, I think maybe I was talking to myself more than any of you. Sorry if I came across otherwise.  :D

I personally didn't take it that way - I didn't think you were referencing my project.  Just venting frustration.

I know I have always been on time with the delivery of my work and have tried my best to communicate each step of the way.    I have backed several projects that were a year or more late (and I know a lot of folks are tied up in some that are really, really late!) and that gets frustrating.  I never want to operate in that way!

~throwi

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:22 pm 

If you like plans, Guillaume Tavernier's Crowdfunding is for you!
ARTBOOK PLANS - Ulule

It's in French, but texts are very very scarce (I am writing the small texts). It is especially plans.

Do not hesitate :)

To see Guillaume staff, it is here
https://www.facebook.com/Cartes-plans-e ... 954217182/

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:29 pm 

Anybody have the maps from the Ravenloft Bleak House boxset?

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 52 of 60123 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 585960