Kickstarter projects
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 42 of 59123 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 575859
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:36 pm 

i just went big with the latest dwarven forge kickstarter. their products are not something i would have bought in the past, but my young children love the three dimensional nature and the construction elements. so i needed to buy enough for both of them to be able to play with...

Shrink is not a condition

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:44 am 

I do not own the Dwarven Forge tiles but have some from a decent competitor, Dungeonstone.  Their stuff is sturdy and cost effective, but unpainted.  I bought one of the bigger sets that have tons of pieces, but they have small sets that are surprisingly cheap.

I only use the 3D tiles in 2 ways:  1) I layout the dungeon tiles first on my own, map it, and then "build" the map while we're playing.  It's easy enough to tag the underside of each tile with a number/letter and then add those values to my paper map to remember which tiles to use.  2) if I'm going ad-hoc, making it up as I go along, I just lay the tiles out for a small dungeon if needed.

Like benjoshua et al, I prefer a small or large erasable battle mat to the tiles for speed and simplicity.  But sometimes having some 3D stuff breaks it up.  My players sit up and take notice for sure.

Also, I prefer tokens to minis for the better view of the combat, the numbering of each token for stat management, and easy transport/storage.  When we use the 3D tiles, we switch it up to minis (of course!).

~throwi

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:00 am 

benjoshua wrote in Kickstarter projects:
Blackmoor wrote in Kickstarter projects:I imagine it could be used for both.  We tried using the original Dwarven Forge stuff for RPG's, it was just to awkward and time consuming, took forever to set up and take down.  We use a grid map now for the most part.

This question really gets at a conundrum for DM's as there is no perfected method for dealing with maps quickly vs thoroughly vs beautifully vs cost vs the issue of "the fog of war." Each method has its pluses and minuses. I'll be the first to admit that Dwarven Forge/Dungeon tiles are gloriously beautiful, but it can be a challenge to administrate a fog of war scenario/dungeon with these things. Some DM's cover the unseen rooms with a sheet and reveal as players progress, but this method suffers from players at least having a rough idea of where the dungeon is going and its size. Other DM's add rooms as players progress, but the first room's placement can hint at where the rest of the dungeon lies.  There are some dungeons where a party is asked to explore an old building or mine where the layout is known or documented, but the contents are changed and unknown and/or maybe slightly altered. In this situation, dungeon tiles could work well.

Still, when I do a cost (space, time & money) vs. benefit analysis, Dungeon tiles/Dwarven Forge stuff just does not cut it for me.   Like Blackmoor's group apparently learned, the simple grid map is hard to beat. 8)

Yeah agreed. I have always simply used hex maps with miniatures and/or counters for the nameless horde. 4E showed how out of focus the game can get when the GM spends a lot of time setting up landscapes and dungeons, etc. Too time consuming. However, I couldn't resist so took stratochamp's path and bought a decent amount for my son to play with when he gets a little older. I'll probably play with them some too.  :P  Hopefully the quality matches the price tag!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:08 am 

I backed the first Dwarven Forge Kickstarter, and my guess is that I'll use them once in a while.  But I expect that using the standard plastic grid (there's one included in my Geek Chic table) will be much more common, just because it's easier and quicker, and much more practical if multiple layouts will be used in a single session.

The Fred Fields Cthulhu dice tower that misterspock noted seems cool, but pretty expensive.  I'm going to take a pass on that one.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:02 am 

cabala wrote in Kickstarter projects:

This is seriously very cool but the pricing seems to get way out of hand. I could spend $1000 on all these add-on sets and what not. I don't have time to paint and these are beautifully painted. It beats the other kickstarter that was referenced recently which was similar to this one but I decided not to back for similar reasons.

Is this mainly for wargaming terrain or do people use these types of setups when playing a pen and paper rpg?

This is their third Kickstarter, and let me tell you. I went from ~$500 for the first Game Tiles set up (Dwarven Forge's Game Tiles: Revolutionary Miniature Terrain by Dwarven Forge — Kickstarter)
To ~$1500 on the second Cavern Tiles (Dwarven Forge's Caverns-Dwarvenite Game Tiles Terrain by Dwarven Forge — Kickstarter)
To this most recent one, which I ended up only spending about $700 on, but that's only because I turn 40 in a week and the wife and I are going to Las Vegas. Otherwise I would have spent again that $1500 mark for a nice variety. $1000 would just barely scratch the surface hehe.

I'm playing D&D later today, and I'll have the entire dungeon area mapped out before we even begin. I just let the players see it all....I don't map out secret rooms/doors obviously, but I trust them not to metagame and cheat, and it goes a LONG way to complete immersion when we play. It's easy to imagine yourself staring down the horde of cultists and zombies in that narrow corridor when you can SEE it right in front of you.

I'll echo Stratochamp's sentiment as well. These are indestructible, and when my kids get a little older (currently 22 months and 4 months) they will love these more than Legos I am certain. And they'll be able to play with them without Dad losing his mind. Because really, what's $1000 get you in our world? A decent condition woodie? Rahasia or Pharaoh? Super cool, don't get me wrong, but you won't use them every time you play D&D like you will these tiles. For me, the cost / reward ratio is not too out of whack when I consider I'll be using these until the day I die. :)

Zenfinite

P.S. The painted ones are all I get after a botched fiasco with the first set where I swore I'd have time to paint them all myself lol. The paint job is excellent and I couldn't be happier. For everyone who missed the KS they will be available over their website probably around Xmas, and the first two sets are currently available at Miniature terrain games tiles  -- unpainted or beautifully hand-painted

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:24 pm 

Praise Cthulhu

Cthulhu Dice Tower by Fred Fields by Fred Fields — Kickstarter

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:37 pm 

I don't think I've seen it mentioned here yet but Frog God Games has a new kickstarter :

kickstarter.com/projects/froggodgames/t ... d-kingdoms

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:00 pm 

xRalphx wrote in Kickstarter projects:I don't think I've seen it mentioned here yet but Frog God Games has a new kickstarter :

kickstarter.com/projects/froggodgames/t ... d-kingdoms

That looks fun, but those non-US shipping prices are insane.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:56 pm 

is the cost to ship to Canada some books really $35? I haven't mailed anything there in a while.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:06 am 

misterspock wrote in Kickstarter projects:is the cost to ship to Canada some books really $35? I haven't mailed anything there in a while.

Definitely not. They're even in Washington State. I've had a few hardcovers recently sent from there for $10.

I'm guessing that's the minimum price for tracked shipping, but it's still ridiculous.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:42 pm 

I messaged them about any other possibilities for shipping, and here's their reply:

We use USPS because they come get the packages from us and it can be used
digitally with our shipping system and with backerkit (the back of house function
we use for Kickstarter) and there is no international option except priority mail
for a package over 4 lbs, first class for under 4 lbs.

Our goal is to deliver the Kickstarters as efficiently as possible. We are a garage
business and it is a giant endeavor to ship when the books arrive from the printer.

I regret it, but we just aren't sophisticated enough to ship the hundreds of books
with individual shipping options.

I guess that means that I'll be able to get it after the kickstarter for reasonable shipping costs, maybe.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:21 pm 

I'm a huge fan of GG, Necromancer, even TLG who all use Kickstarter as their pre-order system, and I completely understand that the scale and economics of their businesses work for them.  They all deliver.  (A couple other iconic names recently, less so)  Still, I've sat out the last couple rounds, the books I'm after always seem to end up at a reseller, and I can pick them up paying upon delivery basically, and usually combine with other stuff anyways.

With $50 flat rate boxes the norm these days, and an 80 cent buck... this is what I can do to participate in the hobby.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:51 pm 

u2622 wrote in Kickstarter projects:I guess that means that I'll be able to get it after the kickstarter for reasonable shipping costs, maybe.

if there's kickstarter exclusives that you want to get in on, maybe you could buy it through someone here on the acaeum in the U.S. and then that person can mail it to you...not sure if that winds up to be less in postage

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:56 pm 

misterspock wrote in Kickstarter projects:if there's kickstarter exclusives that you want to get in on, maybe you could buy it through someone here on the acaeum in the U.S. and then that person can mail it to you...not sure if that winds up to be less in postage

That's a good idea. I may do that if I decide I can't miss out :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:18 pm 

u2622 wrote in Kickstarter projects:
misterspock wrote in Kickstarter projects:is the cost to ship to Canada some books really $35? I haven't mailed anything there in a while.

Definitely not. They're even in Washington State. I've had a few hardcovers recently sent from there for $10

A 4 pound first class package to Canada is $18 - no tracking, no insurance so most sellers will not use this method because they have no protection.

Most sellers use the Flat Rate Boxes which for RPG stuff is $42.25 for a Medium box and $50.75 for a large.  

Anything from a Necromancer Games Kickstarter if probably going to be more than 4 pounds.  Most of my 5E foes, etc have arrived and it looks like it will be 4 large flat rate boxes so shipping was over $200.  If they are charging $35 to Canada, they probably have a special bulk rate that brings the price down.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:15 am 

Mars wrote in Kickstarter projects:Anything from a Necromancer Games Kickstarter if probably going to be more than 4 pounds.  Most of my 5E foes, etc have arrived and it looks like it will be 4 large flat rate boxes so shipping was over $200.  If they are charging $35 to Canada, they probably have a special bulk rate that brings the price down.

Or taking a considerable loss on badly guesstimated international shipping costs, in your case?

The number of Kickstarters that leave their organizer(s) out of pocket, if not fail entirely, for that reason isn't trivial.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:05 am 

Sludge report 24 April 2015
(in case anybody reads KS comments)

Pencil Dice by d20 Entertainment — Kickstarter
RPG Pencil Dice by d20 Entertainment — Kickstarter
Deck Dice - Playing Cards with Roll-Ability! by d20 Entertainment — Kickstarter
Castles & Crusades: Beyond the River (T.V. Pilot) by d20 Entertainment — Kickstarter
Knights of the Dinner Table: Live Action Series (KODT: LAS) by d20 Entertainment — Kickstarter
Spinward Traveller (T.V. Pilot) by d20 Entertainment — Kickstarter
Knights Quest Family Card Game by Ken Whitman Games — Kickstarter

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:12 pm 

Is there such a thing as a Ponzi scheme for KS?  Seems like each one is funding another.. sort of.

~throwi

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 42 of 59123 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 575859