Kickstarter projects
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 41 of 59123 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 575859
Author

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:39 pm 

Mars wrote in Kickstarter projects:
Badmike wrote in Kickstarter projects:I've learned enough about him the last decade that I'd never give him any of my money, anyway.

Completely agree.  

I still don't understand why people decide to team up with him and then are surprised and/or complain when he acts the same way he has for decades.  I'm just saying I don't think the Kickstarted projects had added any new information.  If you read his comments when he posts, he is a bad representative of his own company so why would he be a good one for other companies?

And if he is still working with Elmore, that is a relationship that is now 8? 10? year old.

The first time I met Ken Whitman was a few years at Origins at Larry's artist booth [Larry was indisposed at that moment]. Ken acted as if he was Larry's agent/scheduler/assistant. He was professional and polite, as I tried to promote NTRPG to him. He gave me a card with some info and I passed it on to the NT guys.

Without Frank divulging his extra info, worst case is that Ken is spread out too thin on too many projects, like butter scraped over too much bread. Overly ambitious perhaps...

And no I have not backed any of his projects (Although I was slightly interested in Spinward Traveller, because I think that Samantha Swords is quite atractive  :) )

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Last edited by Invincible Overlord on Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:01 pm 

On the "spreading some good news in KS" front, the Fractured Dimensions KS for Infernal Minions of the Outer Planes @ Fractured Dimensions - Infernal Minions of the Outer Planes by Brett Zeleznik — Kickstarter is back on track.  Brett (owner for FD) was sick much of post-Thanksgiving through January, and communications dropped off, and folks started making comparisons to the CSM meltdown.

Brett got communications going again, and has been shipping packages. My order arrived last week, and I received most of my miniatures (missing 4, plus some bits from Geryon). I told Brett that I'd inventory what he sent and let him know what's missing, which is done.

The minis look great. I'm definitely looking forward to the rest of them, and would definitely back another KS from Brett, given the quality of these figures.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Last edited by grodog on Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:24 pm 

misterspock wrote in Kickstarter projects:whoa... thanks for posting that. I got to catch up on reading those kickstarter updates.

Welcome. Here is the one that ended last weekend with Larry still working with Ken.

Pencil Dice by d20 Entertainment — Kickstarter

"Limited Edition Elmore Leather Pencil Bag, Signed in gold paint by Larry Elmore himself. Limited to 50!!! Will hold up to 12 Pencil Dice, and smells like leather... because it's leather. $40 each."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:30 pm 

Jolly's comments on the KODT KS on Tenkar's Tavern comments section:

Jolly BlackburnMarch 11, 2015 at 2:26 AM
Yes I was spammed to death by the d20 Marketing Machine. Tagged in multiple d20 macbook posts each day (posted to multiple groups to 20k people apparently). I found it was impossible to get off the spam list - apparently asking nicely, over a dozen times wasn't sufficient. I had to get loud and public about it before my name was finally removed. So... I was already a bit frazzled regarding the subject of spam when KODTLAS backers began complaining the kickstarter update list (105 updates and counting) was being used to push/pimp products not related to the project. That led to more head butting trying to get the practice to stop (understand that it is NOT my kickstarter - d20's baby. We just provided the license and creative input and have no fingers on the button). Finally, after weeks we managed to curb that practice - only to learn d20 took the email lists of backers from the project and put them on several spam/mailing lists. Unsubcribe from one list you would pop up on another, and another and then the original list again. Complaints to d20/Ken apparently went unheard so guess what? Backers began complaining to ME!! So ye it's true - I had to get very loud and very public regarding the situation to bring i under control. And to be honest, I'm not even sure if it's been resolved now. But complaints in my inbox have gone down dramatically in recent days. I may need therapy (and some medication) but yes, I am a d20 Spam Tsunami survivor. ;)

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:42 pm 

I am SO glad I somehow avoided any of the d20 Kickstarters.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:04 pm 

ExTSR wrote in Kickstarter projects:
gyg wrote in Kickstarter projects:Do you, Extsr, know something we don't?

Perhaps.
In any event I am unable to elaborate at this time.
Feel free to ignore or heed my 'flag'.

stahlnee wrote in Kickstarter projects:
misterspock wrote in Kickstarter projects:was this the guy that was working with Larry Elmore?

Not was. Larry is still working with him. Larry is signing pencil dice bags for one of his kickstarters that ended just 2 days ago.
On Snarfquest the complete combined book offering was nixed months after funding.
I am staying away from both guys.

Larry posted an update on this whole deal with his name getting used per the comments on his Snarfquest kickstarter
SnarfQuest: Snarf's New Adventure by Larry Elmore — Kickstarter
I'll post the exact reply below in case you can't view it on kickstarter

I thought something was up about that relationship a while back but it was only alluded to and I didn't delve into it with him. I've been out of the loop on those D20 kickstarter projects, etc, aside from receiving lots and lots of spam from them. I had thought I was getting all those emails from something attached to rpgnow/drivethrurpg because they happened around the same time frame, but I didn't realize it was from Ken Whitman/D20 and I never would have suspected anyone swiping email lists from Larry or whoever else he snagged them from.

Stahlnee, his last update says that he is doing the combined book using that same printer.
SnarfQuest: Snarf's New Adventure by Larry Elmore — Kickstarter

(from Larry)
I want to make a couple of things clear, I think some people are or were worried and/or confused about me involved on several kickstarters. Check my kickstarter profile and you will see that I have only been involved in two kickstarters, and they were mine. They were conceived, produced and with the help from all my backers, published by me. Sometimes my name gets used even without my permission, or people use my art, second rights, which they should pay me for...all of this is very difficult for me to keep up with. I currently am NOT working with Ken Whitman on any of my projects and have not worked with him for over a year. Sometimes he takes advantage of our friendship or persuades me to use my name as part of his product lines that I am not otherwise involved in. Also I have never authorized the use of my mailing lists for any purpose whatsoever! This is going to stop, I never want to be a "Kickstarter whore". From the very start I have only wanted to do three Kickstarters, two big artbooks (color and black & white) and this Snarfquest new adverture book. I may have future Kickstarters, but I do not see anything in the near future. Maybe I will do another in a few of years. I do want to work on new art and who knows where it may take me.

The other kickstarter Snarfquest book was a separate license deal with Imagined Publishing, which was supposed to run a year before this Kickstarter started. Imagined Publishing is a good company and the owner has been a Snarfquest fan since he was a child. They are making a quality product, and we were thinking about using his re-mastered thirtieth anniversary edition, but I decided I am not using those books for any of my fulfillments. My original Snarfquest book, currently on my website, that I have been selling for many years, had some mistakes, a couple of pages out of order plus one page missing...I didn't catch this until just a couple of years ago. They were mistakes that you could read through without really realizing it....but once I found them, they really bothered me. These mistakes have been corrected, including the missing page, in the combined books we are printing now. Everything in this Kickstarter is from ME, published by me, printed by a professional high quality printer... not from any other kickstarter. All is newly published. The Snarfquest books that I have been selling over the past few years will soon be removed from my website and replaced with my new books.

Again, I want to thank everyone for their support and patience, I only want to bring you the best possible quality product, and sometimes it takes more time and searching (plus a few mistakes) than I anticipated.

regarding combined books..
But, like everything I get involved in, there's always a glitch. There was a problem with the combined books. Because I love the quality of these books delivered today so much I have decided to print the combined books through the same printer—these are also the same people who printed my Complete Elmore art book last year. Yes, these books will be a single, combined book, offset print, for both the softcover and hardcover versions. The new file was sent to the printer today, and hopefully, barring snowstorms, freezing ice or asteroids, they should arrive later this month. We will keep you informed!

I take responsibility for this delay on the combined books and even though this change is costing me extra I think it's worth it because I want to deliver the best quality product I can. I want you to know, when you by a Kickstarter product through Larry Elmore or Elmore Productions that it's coming straight from me and you will get a quality product.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:58 pm 

It's tough to review other people's work when you know you're not the very best at it either, but I was a bit disappointed in the layout and adventure in a recent KS, Beneath Roslof Keep.  

I'm not sure if anyone else got it, but the changing fonts and sizes, tough to read print on the marble background, loads of white space, and limited story made it a single purchase for me (not backing part 2+).  The art and cartography are wonderful and that's a plus but that seems to be the way of the industry right now - super great art over content.  Hmm.

I know my books aren't perfect either but if I used those fonts, my books would be 64 pages in length!

My one and a half cents.

~throwi

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:13 am 

Not sure if anyone posted this, but I think I'm going to back it. I hope they haven't bitten off more than they can chew with all the stretch goals:

Blades in the Dark by John Harper — Kickstarter

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:54 am 

Orcs must die - New boardgame by Sandy Petersen

kickstarter.com/projects/1816687860/orc ... -boardgame

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:40 pm 

Speaking of Cthulhu, did anyone get their Horror on the Orient Express yet?  

I backed as a retailer and still have nothing.  I was also told 5 weeks ago that my order was "at the post office".

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:52 am 

I saw TheHistorian post a review of what he had received on Yoggie : yog-sothoth.com/topic/23524-chaosium-ki ... /?p=297903

I haven't received mine yet.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:18 am 

Dwarven Forge's City Builder Terrain System -- FINAL HOURS! by Dwarven Forge — Kickstarter

Dwarven Forge. Very, very cool.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:45 am 

I have not heard of an update for the Death and Taxes kickstarter.  Any update?

Martin

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:59 pm 

This is seriously very cool but the pricing seems to get way out of hand. I could spend $1000 on all these add-on sets and what not. I don't have time to paint and these are beautifully painted. It beats the other kickstarter that was referenced recently which was similar to this one but I decided not to back for similar reasons.

Is this mainly for wargaming terrain or do people use these types of setups when playing a pen and paper rpg?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:25 pm 

cabala wrote in Kickstarter projects:

This is seriously very cool but the pricing seems to get way out of hand. I could spend $1000 on all these add-on sets and what not. I don't have time to paint and these are beautifully painted. It beats the other kickstarter that was referenced recently which was similar to this one but I decided not to back for similar reasons.

Is this mainly for wargaming terrain or do people use these types of setups when playing a pen and paper rpg?

I imagine it could be used for both.  We tried using the original Dwarven Forge stuff for RPG's, it was just to awkward and time consuming, took forever to set up and take down.  We use a grid map now for the most part.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:06 pm 

Cthulhu dice tower by Fred Fields

Cthulhu Dice Tower by Fred Fields by Fred Fields — Kickstarter

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:37 pm 

xRalphx wrote in Kickstarter projects:I saw TheHistorian post a review of what he had received on Yoggie : yog-sothoth.com/topic/23524-chaosium-ki ... /?p=297903

I haven't received mine yet.

I wish I could have grabbed the boxes awaiting shipment for everyone I know.

I tried to be fair in my review, but it's certainly a communication disaster on their part, and will very likely cripple any idea of future KS they may have.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:28 pm 

Blackmoor wrote in Kickstarter projects:I imagine it could be used for both.  We tried using the original Dwarven Forge stuff for RPG's, it was just to awkward and time consuming, took forever to set up and take down.  We use a grid map now for the most part.

This question really gets at a conundrum for DM's as there is no perfected method for dealing with maps quickly vs thoroughly vs beautifully vs cost vs the issue of "the fog of war." Each method has its pluses and minuses. I'll be the first to admit that Dwarven Forge/Dungeon tiles are gloriously beautiful, but it can be a challenge to administrate a fog of war scenario/dungeon with these things. Some DM's cover the unseen rooms with a sheet and reveal as players progress, but this method suffers from players at least having a rough idea of where the dungeon is going and its size. Other DM's add rooms as players progress, but the first room's placement can hint at where the rest of the dungeon lies.  There are some dungeons where a party is asked to explore an old building or mine where the layout is known or documented, but the contents are changed and unknown and/or maybe slightly altered. In this situation, dungeon tiles could work well.

Still, when I do a cost (space, time & money) vs. benefit analysis, Dungeon tiles/Dwarven Forge stuff just does not cut it for me.   Like Blackmoor's group apparently learned, the simple grid map is hard to beat. 8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 41 of 59123 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 575859