Kickstarter projects
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 39 of 59123 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 575859
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:52 pm 

was this the guy that was working with Larry Elmore?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:57 pm 

misterspock wrote in Kickstarter projects:was this the guy that was working with Larry Elmore?

I believe so. I also believe Larry does not wish to work with him again.

ps Condolences on the passing of your Hollywood brother-in-spirit. ;>

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:00 pm 

I haven't backed the Kickstarters but was wondering if your post was just a warning to stay away from Ken Whitman or are these projects actually in trouble?  None of the comments on Kickstarter seem to be too terrible (yet?).  Besides, how hard can it be to make those pencils?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:07 pm 

Mars wrote in Kickstarter projects:I haven't backed the Kickstarters but was wondering if your post was just a warning to stay away from Ken Whitman or are these projects actually in trouble?  None of the comments on Kickstarter seem to be too terrible (yet?).  Besides, how hard can it be to make those pencils?

I would agree with Mars here, nothing about any of the KS projects rings particular alarm bells.
Do you, Extsr, know something we don't?

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:22 pm 

I bought into the Knights Quest Family Card Game by Ken Whitman Games — Kickstarter.  Came on time, as I recall.  No problems.

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:07 pm 

Pencil dice, 2008:
Pencil Dice - sebastianbergne.com

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:20 am 

The Whitman kickstarter does not actually contain this pencils with dice pips so this one looks legit.

The Dice-o-matic is a good warning signal for any of those that don't remember his name from many failed projects and bad publishing rep.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:52 am 

gyg wrote in Kickstarter projects:Do you, Extsr, know something we don't?

Perhaps.
In any event I am unable to elaborate at this time.
Feel free to ignore or heed my 'flag'.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:53 pm 

Check out any of the projects Frank flagged.

Comments are not encouraging...

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:21 pm 

Badmike wrote in Kickstarter projects:Check out any of the projects Frank flagged.

Comments are not encouraging....

I did go through them.

Dice-o-matic was caught as being not unique enough so got cancelled.
Pencil one is open for another 8 days - if he can't fulfil this one, then definitely a guy with issues
Knights Quest - some people got some stuff, other stuff is late, he has given refunds to people who asked
C&C pilot close Nov 2 - too early to see if it will flop
Traveller closed July 15 - too early to see if it will flop
KotDT - some rewards (by Jolly) have been sent out, others not, Jolly seems to be staying on top of this

None of these comments are way over the top, compared with other Kickstarters that are late or cancelled - Chaosium Orient Express has lots of worse stuff, etc.

I think Frank probably meant to link this Pencil Dice one:  Pencil Dice by d20 Entertainment — Kickstarter
* but having read the Kickstarter description, it sounds like he's copied the idea but made the process different enough to work around any copyright issues - all it takes is one little difference.

The guy has had issues for a decade+ already in the industry (I wouldn't support his projects) but people seem to still go back and use him anyway.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:31 am 

Mars wrote in Kickstarter projects:
Badmike wrote in Kickstarter projects:Check out any of the projects Frank flagged.

Comments are not encouraging....

I did go through them.

Dice-o-matic was caught as being not unique enough so got cancelled.
Pencil one is open for another 8 days - if he can't fulfil this one, then definitely a guy with issues
Knights Quest - some people got some stuff, other stuff is late, he has given refunds to people who asked
C&C pilot close Nov 2 - too early to see if it will flop
Traveller closed July 15 - too early to see if it will flop
KotDT - some rewards (by Jolly) have been sent out, others not, Jolly seems to be staying on top of this

None of these comments are way over the top, compared with other Kickstarters that are late or cancelled - Chaosium Orient Express has lots of worse stuff, etc.

I think Frank probably meant to link this Pencil Dice one:  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/d20e/pencil-dice
* but having read the Kickstarter description, it sounds like he's copied the idea but made the process different enough to work around any copyright issues - all it takes is one little difference.

The guy has had issues for a decade+ already in the industry (I wouldn't support his projects) but people seem to still go back and use him anyway.

I think what's missing is  any project that has been completed without substantial delays and complaints.  

Jolly states in the comments section he wouldn't work with him ever again. That's pretty damning, and since he's the public face of the project he has been good about getting everything done he needs to get done, but Jolly knows when this thing craters he's going to take the brunt of the criticism even though he has nothing to do with the actual film itself.  This week marks a year since completion of the KODT KS and hopefully the film we be out soon...it appears so, but...

All red flags/warning signs. I'm glad I've never backed his projects.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:44 am 

ExTSR wrote in Kickstarter projects:
misterspock wrote in Kickstarter projects:was this the guy that was working with Larry Elmore?

I believe so. I also believe Larry does not wish to work with him again.

ps Condolences on the passing of your Hollywood brother-in-spirit. ;>

I thought I remembered Larry making a subtle comment at one point. I didn't pick up on it at the time, but now I understand. I never backed any of this guy's projects simply because none of them interested me. Especially the fan film stuff (incl the Star Trek-related ones, even though they weren't funded through the kickstarters).

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:27 pm 

Badmike wrote in Kickstarter projects:I think what's missing is  any project that has been completed without substantial delays and complaints.  

Is that a statement about Ken Whitman or Kickstarter as a whole?

This guy has been around for decades and has a reputation of occasionally dropping the ball, etc.  Any project he is involved with should automatically have large warning signs and that was before Kickstarter was ever invented.  I don't think any of them are at the point of complete revolt or him saying money's gone you get nothing and backers lawyering up.

Could you post the comment from Jolly?  The worst I could find is:

I apologize to everyone who backed this project, folks. Seriously. We don't find the business model at work here (or the attitude expressed when folks complain) acceptable. It's not how we like to see our readers/fans treated.

but then later that day:

I'd like to get back on the positive. I DO truly believe some magic was woven on the set. I'm very proud of the cast and crew who did a tremendous job bringing KODT to life. Just been frustrating to see that work overshadowed by the spam and complaints. Hopefully we can now turn our attention to seeing the next few episodes, reading the Covers book and watching the teasers. Go watch the clip in today's update!!

But seriously, I don't understand what their expectation is from this guy?  ...  Hey we should create a live action KotDT show, who can we get?  How about that book publisher of some ill repute?  That sounds great!  I'm sure everything will go smoothly!  I also have no idea how he gets people to sign on with him but seemingly C&C, Traveller and KotDT have done so.

The KotDT show was backed a year ago but the estimated completion (given in the project) is not for another 5+ months and seemingly they are ahead of schedule.  It doesn't sound like Jolly is happy with the management (should not be a surprise) but is happy with the end product.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:45 pm 

I think that quote from Jolly says volumes, Mars.  It tells me he isn't going to sign up with Ken Whitman again. He's happy with the product, but not the way Whitman handled it.  

The huge complaint from those who have backed the KS is constant, unrelenting, daily spam (via kickstarter) about all of Ken Whitman projects.  Nothing pisses off customers like spam, and I believe Jolly believes this reflects badly on Kenzer (which it does, even though it's not his or Kenzer's fault) since he's the frontman for the entire organization.

I've learned enough about him the last decade that I'd never give him any of my money, anyway.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:56 pm 

Not was. Larry is still working with him. Larry is signing pencil dice bags for one of his kickstarters that ended just 2 days ago.

On Snarfquest the complete combined book offering was nixed months after funding.

I am staying away from both guys.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:54 pm 

stahlnee wrote in Kickstarter projects:On Snarfquest the complete combined book offering was nixed months after funding.

I'll have to read back on what's going on with Snarfquest.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:50 pm 

Badmike wrote in Kickstarter projects:I've learned enough about him the last decade that I'd never give him any of my money, anyway.

Completely agree.  

I still don't understand why people decide to team up with him and then are surprised and/or complain when he acts the same way he has for decades.  I'm just saying I don't think the Kickstarted projects had added any new information.  If you read his comments when he posts, he is a bad representative of his own company so why would he be a good one for other companies?

And if he is still working with Elmore, that is a relationship that is now 8? 10? year old.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:41 pm 

misterspock wrote in Kickstarter projects:
stahlnee wrote in Kickstarter projects:On Snarfquest the complete combined book offering was nixed months after funding.

I'll have to read back on what's going on with Snarfquest.

The original snarfquest KS story page (kickstarter funded on January 16, 2014):
"Many of you have asked about the original SnarfQuest Graphic Novel and pleaded to make it available in the add-ons section. I have been reluctant to do so because so many SnarfQuest books have been produced and I believe that Kickstart is a place to get unique items. So Ken and I sat down and brainstormed and came up with a compromise for you guys.

For $30 extra we will place the original 224 page B&W graphic novel in the front of your new hardback or soft back book making it nearly 300 pages.

What makes this truly unique is that this is the only time I am going to offer this book in this format. If only twenty of you buy this double edition then only twenty will ever be made. Your book will have a special cover that may read like this... "This edition is a Kickstarter exclusive limited to X copies".

Simply add an additional $30 to your pledge. When the Kickstart is over, you will be sent a survey. The survey will have a space to check that you got the expansion."

Update #31 (backer only) posted December 30, 2014:
"For those of you who ordered the original SnarfQuest Graphic Novel add-on, those books are going to be delivered as separately-bound books. The combined book would have been too expensive, because the entire book would be priced at the full color rate, even though 220-some pages were still black and white. We are planning to ship both books together as soon as we have them in studio."

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 39 of 59123 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 575859