Kickstarter projects
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 24 of 60123 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 585960
Author

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:35 pm 

Sounds like a brilliant idea to me.  Doing a fieldwork-based dissertation on a subject you love, and having a lot of it paid for, that's fantastic!

From what he indicates in the Kickstarter, the money will help to cover some of the travel costs to do research, and other expenses to produce the dissertation.

He also received a $2,000 research fellowship.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:14 am 

MetaSigma wrote in Kickstarter projects:Just a little puzzled. Why does someone need funding to complete their Ph.D.? Presumably these people have stipends through their universities (I did, anyway)? Isn't this just slightly unprofessional?

Not sure how it works in the US. I started my PhD 14 years after I initially intended to, and did not have a scholarship. While there were no university fees, I had to fund all my research myself (I did get some small grants, but it was not enough to cover what I wanted to do). In Australian universities, scholarships do not always cover all the expenses associated with the degree - students are often trying to raise funds for their field research. So it seems quite logical for me.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:52 am 

MetaSigma wrote in Kickstarter projects:Just a little puzzled. Why does someone need funding to complete their Ph.D.? Presumably these people have stipends through their universities (I did, anyway)? Isn't this just slightly unprofessional?

As others have mentioned, the scholarship isn't guaranteed or it may not cover all of his needs.  Also, this really helps a lot in his personal branding.  There is so much competition between new phds, especially in the humanities, right now that the more they can get themselves out there, become known and control their image the better their future may be in landing a post-doc or other job after graduating.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:54 am 

Thanks Frank, just supported looks great, I hope this gets funded.

Jorge

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:10 am 

I'm still dithering on that one. There are just so many role playing systems. Seems to be a few launched every week on Kickstarter. In the last week:

This one from Japan went ballistic and was funded in the first day:

Ryuutama - Natural Fantasy Role-Playing Game by Andy Kitkowski — Kickstarter

This one  funded quickly too:

Orbis Terrarum RPG by Simon Clements & Dan Voyce — Kickstarter

This last is a little less polished:

The Fellwater Tales by Brendan Myers — Kickstarter

That being said, I think I may back the East Mark one and the Japanese one as they are established systems with good fan bases that are being translated.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:47 pm 

9 days left on Sword of Air!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:49 pm 

I got the first installment on my Whisper and Venom Kickstarter today.  Awesome and spectacular job, Zach!  The pictures I've seen really haven't done justice to the map.  I can't wait to get the rest.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:13 pm 

Interesting:

AD&D 1e Module: The Hanging Coffins of the Vampire Queen by Mark Taormino — Kickstarter

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:15 pm 

$50! 8O

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:45 pm 

It's rated 'A' for Awesome, so there you go...

:)

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:15 pm 

He's about to make the same mistake regarding the OGL that the burntwire brothers made on the first printing of Insidious. But in this case, WotC will have a pretty big window of opportunity to prevent it from getting into backers' hands in the form shown.

If you're going to back this, realize it has that additional challenge to surmount (beyond all the usual kickstarter-related challenges) in order to get into your hands as currently depicted.

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:09 pm 

Guy Fullerton wrote in Kickstarter projects:

He's about to make the same mistake regarding the OGL that the burntwire brothers made on the first printing of Insidious. But in this case, WotC will have a pretty big window of opportunity to prevent it from getting into backers' hands in the form shown.

If you're going to back this, realize it has that additional challenge to surmount (beyond all the usual kickstarter-related challenges) in order to get into your hands as currently depicted.

I was waiting for someone to post this thing. There is also a little problem with using Vampire Queen. I am having a real hard time thinking this is not a complete rip-off attempt.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:37 pm 

bbarsh wrote in Kickstarter projects:There is also a little problem with using Vampire Queen. I am having a real hard time thinking this is not a complete rip-off attempt.

Sure it also has "Vampire Queen" in the name, but it doesn't seem at all like PotVQ, especially given the premise about escaping from the dungeon lair. And the whole Vampire Master thing. (Disclaimer: I've never read PotVQ, but I have read a review / description or two, so I might be totally wrong there.)

All that said, some of the cover & descriptive text appears to be directly lifted from my modules. If that's actually the case, I could hardly fault him for the legal disclaimer; that's probably just standard legal boilerplate that any lawyer would give anyway. But these blurbs on the kickstarter page...

"THE HANGING COFFINS OF THE VAMPIRE QUEEN includes complete descriptions and maps for several adventure sites and is easily adaptable to most campaign settings.
It is the first in a new series of modules designed for independent or interconnected use."

...are lifted directly from the back of my F1 module:

"THE FANE OF POISONED PROPHECIES includes complete descriptions and maps for several adventure sites and is easily adaptable to most campaign settings. It is the first in a new series of modules designed for independent or interconnected use."

So it will be ... interesting ... to see what's actually inside this thing if it survives the kickstarter.

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:50 pm 

Well, Guy, you can just say he stole from the best..... :wink:

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:51 pm 

That strikes me as pretty dodgy.  Pass.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:05 pm 

Thunderdave wrote in Kickstarter projects:That strikes me as pretty dodgy.  Pass.

Think I will get 10....you never know  :wink:

LOL

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:24 pm 

Cubicle 7 launched its London boxed set kickstarted for Call of Cthulhu.

kickstarter.com/projects/461807648/cthu ... u-rpg-boxe

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:51 pm 

xRalphx wrote in Kickstarter projects:Cubicle 7 launched its London boxed set kickstarted for Call of Cthulhu.

kickstarter.com/projects/461807648/cthu ... u-rpg-boxe

Thanks for the heads up. I grabbed a slot at the pearly king in yellow level.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 24 of 60123 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 585960