Kickstarter projects
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 19 of 60123 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 585960
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:32 am 

Thunderdave wrote in Kickstarter projects:I gather Shadows of Esteren book one was available through a previous Kickstarter?  Is the book available for sale now?  A quick search only showed the pdf for sale on Drive-thru RPG

There were previous Kickstarters for Book 0 (Prologue) and Book 1 (Universe).  This one is for Book 2 (Travels).  But if you pledge to this one at a level which has physical product (as opposed to just PDF), you can add on copies of Book 0 and Book 1 (for $25 and $40, respectively).  Also, some of the higher pledges already come with Book 0 (and in one case, Book 1 too).

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:44 am 

Thanks Bracton!

The KS page has pictures of which each pledge level nets... so it looks like $90 for all three books, or $320 for the three in limited edition format, with tons of extras.  Hmm, decisions :)

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:18 pm 

These looks pretty cool.

Dragon Fantasy Coins by NOWish games — Kickstarter

While my wife cuts me a lot of slack with my hobby, I am not sure if she would be happy if I spent a lot of money on a bunch of gaming coins however!  :king:

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:42 pm 

In case everyone's interested.

Frozen Skies, a new Dieselpunk setting for the Savage Worlds system.

Frozen Skies - A Savage Worlds Dieselpunk RPG by Stephen 'Stormwell' Hughes — Kickstarter

** Banned **

Post Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:46 am 

I'd rather use real coins...

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:34 pm 

failure of a rather large Kickstarter.. $122k

The Doom That Came To Atlantic City! by The Forking Path, Co. » Terminus — Kickstarter

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:49 pm 

beasterbrook wrote in Kickstarter projects:failure of a rather large Kickstarter.. $122k

The Doom That Came To Atlantic City! by The Forking Path, Co. » Terminus — Kickstarter

I knew of a guy who once went to jail over just 10k in unsent ebay items he had sold (he double sold a lot of stuff, had a lawsuit filed against him by disgruntled buyers, and the states attorney went after him). I can't imagine this dude won't see jailtime after taking 120k.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:26 pm 

If its just a money issue, can't he simply declare bankruptcy and legally be cleared of the debt?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:40 pm 

I think what they are talking about it what he did.. if you use the $$ for what you said you would and fail is fine.. but if you use it form something else thats another matter.. seems to be very little info what happened with the $122k+

9.5% would vae been suck up in kickstarter and amazon fees.. but the rest? No product was made.. no product shipped.. were artists paid? it seems to suggest not..

where did the money go? "After paying to form the company, for the miniature statues, moving back to Portland, getting software licenses and hiring artists to do things like rule book design and art conforming the money was approaching a point of no return. We had to print at that point or never. Unfortunately that wasn't in the cards for a variety of reasons"  .

nice post just posted;)

"I would like to see an itemized break down on what our one hundred thousand dollars bought. It sounds to me that almost no money went into development but rather your pocket. You quit your job then moved to Portland then lived off our investor money. It sounds like the game was an afterthought because according to all your past updates the game was done and just needed to be printed. According to this update it was all lies. You misappropriated our funds for your own goal i.e. your move and trying to start a game company."

very tempting to have 100k sitting in your bank a/c..

As I've said before.. Kickstarter can make or break you..

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:55 pm 

beasterbrook wrote in Kickstarter projects:failure of a rather large Kickstarter.. $122k

Damn... that is just amazing.

NOTE: Need to make a list of some of these backers who don't want a refund. Get them to go for the kickstarter "The Suckers That Bought The Brooklyn Bridge", a game to support my stay at home lifestyle that will never be produced.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:27 pm 

it would be interesting to see where $110k odd when in 13 months..

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:36 pm 

beasterbrook wrote in Kickstarter projects:it would be interesting to see where $110k odd when in 13 months..

Vegas, baby, Vegas.

I doubt this shlub had that much fun with the loot.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:00 pm 

Lawrence Watt-Evans, a fantasy author best known for the long-running Ethshar series (The Misenchanted Sword), has a Kickstarter going for a new science fantasy novel, Vika's Avenger. 5 hours left & it's $7 from its top goal ($12K):

Vika's Avenger Kickstarter

"On a distant planet, 12,000 years in the future, a country boy named Tulzik Ambroz comes to the ancient city of Ragbaan seeking the man who killed his sister Vika. Ragbaan's civilization has risen to astonishing heights of power and technology several times — and then collapsed each time, so that now most of the city is abandoned and empty, and the three million remaining inhabitants make no distinction between magic and technology. How can a stranger, with only a portrait his sister drew to identify his quarry, hope to find a single individual in such a place?"

Art for the novel will be by Bradley W. Schenck - the Wee Warriors artist formerly known as Morno - who is also an occasional poster at the Acaeum. He has a website called Webomator, where he has written several blog posts about the Kickstarter:

Back Lawrence Watt-Evans' new novel at Kickstarter, and it will get more and more art by me
At Kickstarter: more pledges for Vika's Avenger mean more illustrations by me
Vika's Avenger at Kickstarter: one more stretch goal to go

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:30 pm 

Mars wrote in Kickstarter projects:If its just a money issue, can't he simply declare bankruptcy and legally be cleared of the debt?

Not really, otherwise any con man could steal money and then "declare bankruptcy".  While bankruptcies lately have been handed out like skittles, you still have to present your finances to the state's bankruptcy attorney.  They look for any money you have as well as property and such.  If this guy has anything they will take it or make him sell it, pure and simple.  Also, bankruptcy does not necessarily protect you from being sued, or going to jail if it was found out what you were doing was fraudulent.  The peple you owe money to have an opportunity to appear in court and get their money back.  What this guy needs is a good lawyer, which he sounds too stupid to go and hire.

Now, having said all that, I would try to declare bankruptcy if I was him, especially if he formed an LLC.   :D   Simply put, I think he either does that or spends time in jail.  Sure you take a hit on your credit and it's damn hard to find a job once you have a bankruptcy on your record, and you might have to sell your second car and new office furniture and the bitchen jet skies you bought,  but the alternative is to get in jake with the attorney general for fraud, which it appears would happen to this moron.  I forsee a tough couple of years ahead.  But he got one helluva a free year I guess.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Last edited by Badmike on Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:31 am 

JasonZavoda wrote in Kickstarter projects:

NOTE: Need to make a list of some of these backers who don't want a refund. Get them to go for the kickstarter "The Suckers That Bought The Brooklyn Bridge", a game to support my stay at home lifestyle that will never be produced.

Yeh, ditto. What morons, I'd like some phone numbers so I can call them and pitch my latest idea for whatever I think of tomorrow.  Speaking of, this guy is a grade-A dipshit, cause he has explicitly stated he used the money for something other than the stated purpose. It's as damning as if he had said "I took the $120k and used it to pay for plastic surgery for my girlfriend".   That'll play well in court. Just checked the site and noticed the people there seem pretty well determined to put this dude in jail....lots of posts of people who have filed complaints with various agencies.  His goose looks cooked.  Hell they're posting his home addresss and phone number.

However, I just noticed he keeps referring to this company.  Might be a get out of jail free card if he formed an LLC and has that company declare bankruptcy. He'll be free and clear. He couldn't have been stupid enough to just have placed all that money in his personal account, right?

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:06 am 

Badmike wrote in Kickstarter projects:
JasonZavoda wrote in Kickstarter projects:

Yeh, ditto. What morons, I'd like some phone numbers so I can call them and pitch my latest idea for whatever I think of tomorrow.  Speaking of, this guy is a grade-A dipshit, cause he has explicitly stated he used the money for something other than the stated purpose. It's as damning as if he had said "I took the $120k and used it to pay for plastic surgery for my girlfriend".   That'll play well in court. Just checked the site and noticed the people there seem pretty well determined to put this dude in jail....lots of posts of people who have filed complaints with various agencies.  His goose looks cooked.  Hell they're posting his home addresss and phone number.

However, I just noticed he keeps referring to this company.  Might be a get out of jail free card if he formed an LLC and has that company declare bankruptcy. He'll be free and clear. He couldn't have been stupid enough to just have placed all that money in his personal account, right?

Mike B.

Sure he could have. But LLC or not if they can prove he made no effort to actually manufacture these rewards fraud is going to trump bankruptcy. It is still not that much money and putting the shmoe on trial is going to cost the state a hell of a lot more than $100k, but sometimes the state goes all crazy and takes out a guy as messily as possible just to put the fear of e pluribus enum into the rest of us proles.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:41 am 

Badmike wrote in Kickstarter projects:

I knew of a guy who once went to jail over just 10k in unsent ebay items he had sold (he double sold a lot of stuff, had a lawsuit filed against him by disgruntled buyers, and the states attorney went after him). I can't imagine this dude won't see jailtime after taking 120k.

Mike B.

Additionally, theescapistmagazine claims that Erik Chevalier was the head of another firm before Forking Path that received funding and delivered nothing.  That firm is now out of business as well.  The pattern repeats...

Receiving funding to start a company, not to produce a product seems to go against the KS rules for projects.

~throwi

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:56 pm 

Badmike wrote in Kickstarter projects:Not really, otherwise any con man could steal money and then "declare bankruptcy".  While bankruptcies lately have been handed out like skittles, you still have to present your finances to the state's bankruptcy attorney.  They look for any money you have as well as property and such.  If this guy has anything they will take it or make him sell it, pure and simple.

I guess it comes down to if he did something fraudulent or not.  I haven't read all the updates and posts to determine how far he went in deluding the backers.  But in your example where the seller sold the same item twice and that is clearly fraud.  

However, if this guy is claiming the money went to his living expenses etc, then basically he is saying from the kickstarter money, he paid himself a salary to work on the game (or the company creating the game paid him a salaray, which is a reasonable expense).  He may have even given himself a salary that was better than simply scraping by and afforded him to do some frivolous things.  In this case, its very poor use of money but not fraudulent.  

This also doesn't excuse the fact he didn't get a game produced to which he owes everyone their money back.  However, if he is simply an employee of the company that didn't get the game produced and the company declares bankruptcy then he is in the clear.  I'm just saying proving fraud may be more difficult than saying "I don't like the way you spent the money".

Badmike wrote in Kickstarter projects:otherwise any con man could steal money and then "declare bankruptcy".

Yes!  Lehman Brothers comes to mind.  All the top bankers where cutting themselves millions of dollars is bonuses - even after the government stepped in to bail them out.  Not a single one was charged with fraud or asked to repay the millions they gave themselves while their companies crumbled.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 19 of 60123 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 585960