Kickstarter projects
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:46 am 

I guess you really can't beat 125 or so minis for $100 (Vampire level), I'm not 100% sure I'm on board with plastic though... still thinking about it.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:45 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Reaper Kickstarter is still gathering steam!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/151 ... gaming-min

I'd love the Pathfinder goblins for $9 but can't afford to pledge the $100 for the opportunity.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:54 pm 

davidc wrote:

I guess you really can't beat 125 or so minis for $100 (Vampire level), I'm not 100% sure I'm on board with plastic though... still thinking about it.

It's not just plastic, it's bendy plastic. That's what put me off.

And I have just backed Tre Manor's Red Box Games Miniatures Kickstarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/110 ... vakt-horde

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:17 pm 

Those kickstarters are tempting, the miniatures are fantastic, but I can't convince myself to buy plastic.  It's like buying army men, just slightly little better.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:06 pm 

As someone with a large collection of miniatures, I believe this this one of the best things that could happen to the miniatures market if for no other reason it gives miniature collectors and miniature users another option.  I would even go so far to say that, if I were starting all over again, this is what I'd be seriously tempted to use.

My current mini collection is largely 25mm metal minis.  The scale chose me more than I chose it because 28mm wasn't as common when I first started collecting and painting.  But, once I was able to significantly expand my collection, I discovered that larger lots of older 25mm minis were much cheaper than the latest 28mm/32mm figures.  Not only that, 25mm figures took up about half space and about one third to one quarter the weight.  As I was more interested in a collection I could use, having a collection which I could personally transport to other locations made more sense that requiring gamers to always come to my house.  I also found that 25mm minis had more variety than 28mm minis, although that is changing.  So, it was cheaper, lighter and less cumbersome to have a collection of 25mm minis.

However, one of the disadvantages of these older 25mm minis is that they have less detail and they don't handle drops and knocks well.  And unlike pre-painted D&D minis, they require time-consuming paint jobs if you want them to look good.

Enter the Bones series.  While they are 28mm in scale taking more space than 25mm scale minis, they remain relatively light.  They are also much cheaper than similar metal minis and have the same level of detail.  They still have to be painted to look good, but require no priming.  Most important, if you are the kind of person who actually uses their minis,  8O  they can be dropped with little risk of significant damage.  Yes, we equate quality with weight, but these minis are apparently the real deal.  No, I don't own any Bones as my minis collection is mostly finished, and the scale isn't right anyway, but this kickstarter is pretty amazing if you were ever thinking about starting a mini collection.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:20 pm 

I own some Bones miniatures.

The larger ogre and minotaur miniatures are identicle to the metal miniatures.  They paint up well.

A couple of the smaller miniatures feel more fragile...but no more so than the plastic pre-painted miniatures sold for D&D and Pathfinder.  And, in one case (a ghost rising out of a tombstone), the miniature feels flimsy mostly because it is a stupid and unlikely pose.  Although the ghost flexes, it is not brittle.

Overall, I have seen and picked up quite a number of the Bones miniature line and they are fine quality.  

For those familiar with the Reaper Classic Encounters pre-painted line....the first Bones miniatures already on the market are just unpainted examples of the Classic Encounters, but at a lower price.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:21 pm 

The Reaper Bones Kickstarter is probably one of the best values I have ever seen in the industry. I have no idea how they're doing it at the prices they are - either it's going further the gap, ensuring Reaper remains the top minis company in the industry, or it's going to put them out of business.

Given their history, I would go with the former. Good stuff there - I'd encourage anyone who loves minis to jump on it at the Vampire level.

You can't lose at that price with the rewards you're getting.

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:48 pm 

Center_Stage wrote:I have no idea how they're doing it at the prices they are.

I think the deal is that the Kickstarter pays for the molds...and they have blown the mold cost out of the water at this point.   The cost is in the development.  After that, the plastic is inexpensive to produce.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:59 pm 

davidc wrote:

"137 Bones Miniatures and 1 Metal Sophie".. free shipping in USA and Canada, $20 rest of the world (done in 2 shipments).. sounds like agood deal;).. if you can paint that is.. those solid silver ones sound nice..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:25 pm 

davidc wrote:

OK, I've been talked in to it... free shipping, mmmmm :)

I wonder about the fulfillment of the stretch goals, for instance, the 755k goal is not far away, when reached 3000+ supporters are all going to receive 4 minis each?  That's a lot.  I guess it must work out ok for the maufacturer, it sure seems like a tremendous deal.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:36 pm 

Plaag wrote:

I'd love the Pathfinder goblins for $9 but can't afford to pledge the $100 for the opportunity.

ShaneG.

Shane, I understand I can add an extra set of the PF goblins to my pledge, glad to order them for you ($9 plus the shipping from Canada to you)

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:22 pm 

davidc wrote:
Plaag wrote:

ShaneG.

Shane, I understand I can add an extra set of the PF goblins to my pledge, glad to order them for you ($9 plus the shipping from Canada to you)

About how much do you think that would be shipping price wise? (Would like to know before you go and do that)

ShaneG.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:42 pm 

Plaag wrote:
davidc wrote:

About how much do you think that would be shipping price wise? (Would like to know before you go and do that)

ShaneG.

Canada Post says a small packet (which would be a small box) would be $5.97, possibly I could put them in a bubble envelope for a bit less, but it would only be a bit less.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:43 pm 

The longer I lurk this thread the more trouble I'm going to get in... the Limited Sophies are starting to look pretty nice too :)

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:45 pm 

davidc wrote:
Plaag wrote:

ShaneG.

Canada Post says a small packet (which would be a small box) would be $5.97, possibly I could put them in a bubble envelope for a bit less, but it would only be a bit less.

Ah then that's fine for the price..hook me up and I'll pay you when everything is ready to go.

Thanks,
ShaneG.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:53 pm 

Ok, I'll order them up & pm you when they arrive, we'll go from there... just let me know if you need Urban Legend Sophie too :)

Plaag wrote:
davidc wrote:

Ah then that's fine for the price..hook me up and I'll pay you when everything is ready to go.

Thanks,
ShaneG.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:41 pm 

xRalphx wrote:Shadows of Esteren : a medieval horror RPG

From what they're showing, this looks to become a beautiful book.

kickstarter.com/projects/1176616619/sha ... of-esteren

I did back this project, and got to meet the artist, author and translator at Gen Con.  At my level, I received two copies of the main book (one regular, and one a signed and numbered limited edition), a map, character sheets, art prints, a DM screen, a music CD and a shirt.  I was able to pick it all up at the convention.  Having flipped through it, I'm really pleased with the quality of the product.  The artist also agreed to include some unique artwork in a certain number of limited editions per day.  I got to their booth early on Thursday to make sure I was covered.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:47 pm 

Center_Stage wrote:The Reaper Bones Kickstarter is probably one of the best values I have ever seen in the industry. I have no idea how they're doing it at the prices they are - either it's going further the gap, ensuring Reaper remains the top minis company in the industry, or it's going to put them out of business.

Given their history, I would go with the former. Good stuff there - I'd encourage anyone who loves minis to jump on it at the Vampire level.

You can't lose at that price with the rewards you're getting.

And now the deal is even more ridiculously good.  Right now, you can get 205 minis for $100.00 in the US and Canada.  And an important tidbit you can learn from the FAQ video is that you can drop the "Sophie" mini, which is of a hot girl riding a motorcycle (something you won't usually find in any of my fantasy games), and use that $25.00 money for one or some of the add on minis which are incredibly interesting, like the dragons, hydra, or demon minis.  Or, you could use the $25.00 to get the case.  Think about it, 204 minis, a case, and shipping for $100.00.  Ridiculous!  8O

Many of you may not be interested in minis due to space or money, but this Kickstarter vampire level deal will give you most of the minis you'd need for many of your games.  I find minis very useful for seeing where characters are standing and determining what they can or can't do.  And while some of you are skeptical that these minis are truly worthwhile because they are plastic, you should read some of the reviews by people who have bought them.  Even though my personal collection is metal, I can tell you that metal is heavy and does not handle dropping well at all.  And these minis don't even require priming, which is another plus if you decide to paint them.

This Kickstarter ends this Saturday at 6:00 PM.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

PreviousNext