Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:51 am 

Looks like they are going to take another dive into the reprint pool with 3.5:
http://wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=d ... s/20120625

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:42 pm 

I'm guessing they'll do OD&D and the Rules Cyclopedia as well. That would finish the major systems which will feed into DDN. 2E being too similar to AD&D, and the Holmes/Moldvay/Mentzer sets being 'rolled into' the RC. Might still happen, though.

3E gets early treatment since it is already digital, and they need to compete with Paizo. 4E is having difficulty doing so by accounts. The RC and OD&D reprints will take time to complete, and they wouldn't want to make the same mistake by giving out premature release dates which get pushed back.

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:30 pm 

I could be tempted by a Rules Cyclopedia, I don't have a copy, and it can be pricey this side of the Atlantic.  :)

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:20 am 

I'm really puzzled by the reprint of the 3.5 books, and the survey about what else from that edition should be reprinted. I am not sure why WotC would do that, particularly with 5e in the wings.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:48 am 

I'm sticking with my previous theory about contracts with the printers.  If they have to print something to keep from paying  a fee to not print, reprints make sense since they have all but stopped adding new information to the current edition.  This keeps something in the pipeline for consumers and could possibly lessen some of the hard feelings within the community.  It's a win-win for WotC but it kicks resellers with inventory where it hurts since a shiny new copy (with errata) at the same price as a dinged up old copy is a better purchase.

As far as the survey goes, who knows how that's going to work out.  Some people are hoping for compilations (best of, etc) but I think it might be a tool to decide what sort of non-core material should be in the first run of the new edition.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:00 pm 

SoulCatcher78 wrote:If they have to print something to keep from paying  a fee to not print, ...

Wait, what?

Never heard of this before.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:44 pm 

Sardan wrote:I'm really puzzled by the reprint of the 3.5 books, and the survey about what else from that edition should be reprinted. I am not sure why WotC would do that, particularly with 5e in the wings.

I wonder how many of us did that....but in the comments added "no more 3.x but MORE OD&D AND/OR 1st Edition!"

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:45 pm 

Sardan wrote:I'm really puzzled by the reprint of the 3.5 books, and the survey about what else from that edition should be reprinted. I am not sure why WotC would do that, particularly with 5e in the wings.

I'm not surprised.

3.5 was a popular edition (and a favorite of mine), and if they would donate a portion of these as well to the Gygax memorial, then that would be awesome.

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:24 pm 

GreyM wrote:

I wonder how many of us did that....but in the comments added "no more 3.x but MORE OD&D AND/OR 1st Edition!"

Ha! I did exactly that! :)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:42 am 

If WotC is contractually obligated with whomever it is that does the printing of the books to produce X amount of books per year and they decide to scrap all of their upcoming products (i.e. 4E) then it's possible that they are required to print something or pay a forfeiture fee.  While it's a long shot theory, it makes sense to me that rather than pay a fee for not printing something they would reprint something that they know there's a market for.

Hope that explanation makes some sense out of my statement   :oops:

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:16 pm 

That's the part that confuses me. I spent about 20 years around the printing industry, though not actually running a press. I've done artwork, layout, service bureau, used a stat camera for a while, and even some time working on negs. I can't say that I can recall hearing of a situation where the client has had a contract binding them to use a particular printer for 'X' copies over a period of time.

But who can say in the wacky world of contract law? What makes you suspect WotC is engaging in this?

WotC has a $50MIL goal set for itself, and 4E isn't cutting it. It's had stiff competition with Paizo in recent quarters. They are in need of something to not only grab hold of a new client base, but keep what they have or regain what they have lost. Enter DDN. AD&D and 3E were the high water marks for the game. The best option for getting the old customers back is to go after the two highest draws from the prior editions first. Others might follow in time, but it wouldn't be a great idea for them to start with the lower end of the sales spectrum.

I have to wonder, though, about other material past the core rules. Would it benefit them more to print only core rules from prior editions, and release the other old material in updated form to 5E specs? Or, would it be better to print 5E core only, then reprint the older material as is?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:06 pm 

That's why it's a theory more than anything.  Depending on how they (as a corporation) deal with the printers it be based on how many books are produced over a period of time to lock in a price per unit.  If this is something that's negotiated well in advance (to lock in a better price) then there might be a clause stipulating that they have to pay a portion of the fee if they back out.  Call it insurance for the printer who won't be able to take on other clients because they expect to be tied up with books from WotC.  It's a WAG but it's all mine, lol.

While in a totally unrelated field I think I got the idea from the fee that AT&T had to pay Tmobile even when the deal fell through.  It was a holding fee to keep them from shopping for another buyer until the deal was able to be finalized.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:00 am 

so basically they are reprinting the leather bound editions? were they not the editions with all of the erratas in before print?

thanks, realmaster.

let's split up!!!!!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:55 am 

That's the way it looks.  The leatherbound copies were supposed to include the errata also.  Now if there was errata to the errata they have a chance to fix that as well, lol  PDT_Armataz_01_28

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:21 am 

SoulCatcher78 wrote:Now if there was errata to the errata they have a chance to fix that as well, lol

There was indeed errata to the errata, or at least errata after the special editions.

Publication dates
Special Edition Player's Handbook (October 2004)
Special Edition Dungeon Master's Guide (October 2005)
Special Edition Monster Manual (October 2006)

Latest errata, according to this page
Player's Handbook v.3.5 -- 02/16/2006
Dungeon Master's Guide v.3.5 -- 03/12/2004
Monster Manual v.3.5 -- 02/16/2006

So at least the PHB could be updated again. (I haven't checked if the SE Monster Manual includes the Feb errata or not.)