Super Rare-to-be adventure...
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:12 pm 

Unfortunately with my most recent expenditures, I cannot go any higher.
I would if I could though.

Thork, understand that none of the high bidders have ANY problem bidding on your one-off.
PLEASE Stop letting the doubters and nay-sayers get to you about this.

Those same doubters have no hesitation spending hundreds and even well over a thousand on other non-unique items from other publishers/authors.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:33 pm 

Gnat, I'm not nay-saying. I'd just like to try and rationalise this particular item as justifying over $100.

Is it the quality material from a proven publisher?

Or just because it's a one off? Because if it's that, we could all flood the market with one off mini modules, so where does this end?

Or is it because it's a pre-pub of a solid enough product that we all have chance to purchase?

Ignoring the "controversial" couple of posts, because that's irrelevant, what makes this a $100 item?

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:36 pm 

ashmire13 wrote:.... Ignoring the "controversial" couple of posts, because that's irrelevant, what makes this a $100 item?

What made 3 sheets of Greyhawk stats/tables worth over $1,300 at the NTRPG Con Auction?
Those sheets have no game playing in them whatsoever, I know because I have had a set.
Who are we to say whether that set of sheets is worthy of collectable status, or worth the price paid?
We are not, the guys that bid on them made them so.

What makes the third generation of Rappan Athuk in a Leather bound cover worth $500 (both versions)?
The fact that they are sold out tells me they are worth it.
And the more common copies of that book (both versions) will sell for what?  $160 plus?
I figure there will be many many copies sold at that price.

What makes any game product worth what some think is ridiculous amounts of money?

Simple answer to your question?
Because collectors will pay what it takes for what they want.
Always have and always will...

FWIW: Many of us who are buying Robs products and all of those who have bid on this specific item do NOT feel this is some moms basement living bumpkins home rules one-nighter hack and slash.
This item is playable, no it is not a complete modue in the sense that the DM must do some pre-game work to fill in the blanks, but it is in fact a playable game product.
I am one of the collectors who would happily pay more than the current bid of $125 if I could and if this had come up before the NTRPG Con there is little doubt I would still be in this one.

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:48 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:
ashmire13 wrote:.... Ignoring the "controversial" couple of posts, because that's irrelevant, what makes this a $100 item?

FWIW: Many of us who are buying Robs products and all of those who have bid on this specific item do NOT feel this is some moms basement living bumpkins home rules one-nighter hack and slash.
This item is playable, no it is not a complete modue in the sense that the DM must do some pre-game work to fill in the blanks, but it is in fact a playable game product.
I am one of the collectors who would happily pay more than the current bid of $125 if I could and if this had come up before the NTRPG Con there is little doubt I would still be in this one.

Gnat, please, don't think I'm attacking you or thise who are bidding!

Your answer above works for me, because Thorks work is worth it then, it's not any old homebrew, but something published by someone who produces decent products. That's all I wanted to get clear

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:44 pm 

Pipswich wrote:Bump to $125.  I respect the way this controversy has been handled by everyone on the forum/post.  It's worth the bid to encourage such civilized discourse... and the module looks awesome too.

I think this is top bid, and the auction was intended to finish today, Monday 18th.
But, as it is still mid-morning in the PST zone, I'll leave it open till 9PM tonite, PST. That should allow opportunity for anyone from here to Europe to have a 2nd or 3rd chance if wanted. Unless you are all done with it.

Note about the 2nd print:
This item IS NOT available to the general public. It cannot be seen at my store/spotlight by chance. You have to use the link I gave to have access to it.
This will pretty much guarantee that the "print run" will be no higher than those interested  it(I'd top it at 30 given the current atmosphere).

"Here's to swimmin with bowl-legged wimin"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:05 am 

The auction is over.
Pipswih wins with a bid of $125.00

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:51 am 

Thank you, I look forward to running a game with it!

Pipswich Peddles (and trades) for his collection!  
http://stores.ebay.com/Pipswich-Peddles

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:05 pm 

ashmire13 wrote:
Gnat the Beggar wrote:
This item is playable, no it is not a complete module in the sense that the DM must do some pre-game work to fill in the blanks, but it is in fact a playable game product.

Gnat, please, don't think I'm attacking you or those who are bidding!

Your answer above works for me, because Thorks work is worth it then, it's not any old homebrew, but something published by someone who produces decent products. That's all I wanted to get clear

Did not think your post was an attack at all, I was Just trying to respond... in a positive manner (I hope).

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:39 pm 

All good then Gnat :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:36 pm 

Just curious Thork, but who are the "we" you refer to in the module itself?

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:07 pm 

:?

Please forgive me for wondering, but--did everyone suddenly decide they DIDN'T want a 2nd cover copy?

I am confused.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:18 pm 

I don't want one, but I'm not everyone.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:59 pm 

Thork N Hammer wrote::?

Please forgive me for wondering, but--did everyone suddenly decide they DIDN'T want a 2nd cover copy?

I am confused.

Presumably only you know the answer to this -
Thork N Hammer wrote:Note about the 2nd print:
This item IS NOT available to the general public. It cannot be seen at my store/spotlight by chance. You have to use the link I gave to have access to it.
This will pretty much guarantee that the "print run" will be no higher than those interested  it(I'd top it at 30 given the current atmosphere).

or am I missing something

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:54 pm 

I posted a link for it.
The item IS NOT for the GP, IT IS for the acaeum members that wanted one.
I'm sure I didn't write it that cryptically

Last edited by Thork N Hammer on Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:55 pm 

Thork N Hammer wrote:(whew) Glad to see this resolved.

Reminder for all members wanting the 2nd print, just order it directly with this link:
http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... l/12967061

See, I found it! and only 1 page back.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:26 pm 

Thork N Hammer wrote::?

I am confused.

Dude, its only been a few days since you announced you were putting it up for purchase.  I dont know about most people here but when it comes to ordering from Lulu I like to get the most bang for my buck.  I usually try and buy several items at the same time and wait for a decent coupon code to pop up before pulling the trigger on a purchase.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:27 pm 

I just placed an order for 4 books from your LULU pages.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:36 pm 

I didn't think you were being cryptic, I just wondered what your expectation was. And as I said, presumably only you can tell what the take-up on this will be.
I'm sure it will sell well, over the coming days, and its handy to have the link re-posted.

I would be interested in knowing how many of these sell, is this information you would be willing to disclose further down the line?

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

PreviousNext