Super Rare-to-be adventure...
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:15 am 

Mars wrote:I'd suggest:

1) offering a print run of this to people who want it at a fixed price (like you have before) - maybe change the cover (even if it is something simple as changing the color)

2) leave this one for sale as the now "controversial" cover (limited to 1 copy).

I'm not too interested in PDFs, I get them, save them on my computer then I lose where they are.  I like hardcopies so I will up the bid on the "controversial cover" to $50.

I agree with this.  Make it available to anyone for a fixed price and a different cover.  The high bidder gets a non-unique item but with a unique cover.

And in my opinion you shouldn't feel bad at all.  Part of putting out product is trying different things. Sometimes it works, sometimes not so much.  Everyone should take it in the spirit it was intended.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:41 am 

Mars wrote:I'd suggest:

1) offering a print run of this to people who want it at a fixed price (like you have before) - maybe change the cover (even if it is something simple as changing the color)

2) leave this one for sale as the now "controversial" cover (limited to 1 copy).

I'm not too interested in PDFs, I get them, save them on my computer then I lose where they are.  I like hardcopies so I will up the bid on the "controversial cover" to $50.

I agree! ciaooo

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:23 am 

A 1 off has no interest to me personally, it might as well be my own home brew dungeon that I've printed in decent paper with a decent printer. It's size is not sufficient in my eyes to warrant anything over $5, but if you made 25 it's got more worth IMHO

And if this was the pre-pub and then that's it's worth, with a different cover to follow.

I like your products very much Thork, I'm in on your sea maidens, but 1 offs like this don't do it for me..

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:31 am 

It does on the surface seem like an exploitation of the relationship you've built up with collectors, but reading through the comments and the bids, it's not a clear cut thing that the community has taken this well or badly. All I'd suggest you do, Thork', is weigh up the possibility that by creating a single product for the sole purposes of auctioning it for profit, you may be alienating some of the collectors who have been buying your stuff so far. I am interested in PDFs. They are something I'd buy, but I'm also up for hardcopy and will just make my own PDFs if I need to.

For me, I'd not bid on this because it's too much like a deliberately generated money venture. Unlike the leather bound Rappan Athuk's, which also are a money venture, they are a logical by-product of an already to be mass produced product line. People are just reacting to the overt nature of the product, not the principle of making money writing adventures and offering them up for sale. Do what you need to do to earn a living, just don't leave buyers feeling like they are being used. The trick in all sales is to have the buyer feel like they got more out of the experience of buying something than the seller did.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:39 am 

Hiya,

don't sweat it Thork, I appreciate your reasoning.

Making this a "pre-pub" seems a logical way to go tho.

Cheers,
KAL

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:32 am 

Versimilitude wrote:Hiya,

don't sweat it Thork, I appreciate your reasoning.

Making this a "pre-pub" seems a logical way to go tho.

Cheers,
KAL

Good idea, the item will retain it's value, while everyone else can get a taste at a later date.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:41 am 

Mars' suggestion is a solid one.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:49 am 

Thork N Hammer wrote:I created it for all those Sandbox DMS that just want a bunch of cool maps, and a tiny bit of info.

Well, technically, you made it for just "one of those sandbox DMs that just wants a bunch of cool maps."

Singular not plural.  :twisted:

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:52 pm 

As you probably know by now; I am one of your biggest fans and have chased your items from the very first one you posted here and even before that with your Giants Series published through LULU.

I like this adventure idea well enough that I would like a hard copy to use and as a collectable as well.
I would be saddened if it was limited to a one-off....  REALLY SAD...

Super Rare indicates more than one copy is out there to be searched for by a would be collector.
A One-Off is simply put a unique item.... and as such is not truly a collectable item.
This is well stated above...
And also as stated by others, as this item was first presented, it is really not collectable as a one-off anyway.
Once in a collection it is staying put forever (probably).
As a relatively low level collector, I cannot compete with uber-collectors for one-offs.

IMO: this one-off idea does not gain you anything in the way of additional followers and fans.
A limited print run of this one would accomplish that much better.

FWIW: Though I do have a few of them; I would seldom (if ever) be interested in PDFs...

If you put out another printing with a different cover, then I would be all in for that.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:18 pm 

Okay, so if I make the red cover w/skull a prepub 1 of a kind copy for auction, THEN, provide the members access to  it with some modification(like a new copy, etc) everyone would be cool with that?

"Here's to swimmin with bowl-legged wimin"

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:42 pm 

Great compromise! :)

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:44 pm 

actually John, I think that had Thork's initial idea played out, you would have been the likliest winning bidder; my guess would be somewhere from 100-125. You probably would have held it for a few years and either sold it to another acaeumite or traded it for a bunch of judges guild stuff. my collecting obsession to have one of everything is encompassed from the domesday books through 2003 (I collect sporadically after that; mainly the products of my friends Tim & Frank). I hadn't planned on bidding again, as i stated, I was getting the ball rolling as a thank you to Thork for some friendly customer service. without specifically discussing it with him, i suspect Bracton has similar feelings. the lawrenson's (& probably others) would not have bid. i think the winning bidder would have been someone who has steadily collected all of Thork's products and who would have viewed this as a great jewel. while it will still be a jewel for the winner, personally i don't think it will shine quite as brightly. that's my .02

Shrink is not a condition

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:50 pm 

Thork N Hammer wrote:Okay, so if I make the red cover w/skull a prepub 1 of a kind copy for auction, THEN, provide the members access to  it with some modification(like a new copy, etc) everyone would be cool with that?

Sounds good to me!

As an alternative - and I will just throw this in for fun - how difficult would it be to make, say 25 copies, all with different coloured covers? (OK, so some of them would only be a few shades different).

Then send them to people who ordered randomly.

Just a thought :)

Cheers,
KAL

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:01 pm 

Thork N Hammer wrote:Okay, so if I make the red cover w/skull a prepub 1 of a kind copy for auction, THEN, provide the members access to  it with some modification(like a new copy, etc) everyone would be cool with that?

I'm in for a copy of it as a "2nd print", great work around

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:37 pm 

I'm in for a 2nd print copy too :)

As for the 1st print, I would bid $5. Why? My idea, if we are a lot who wants it, we can add all our bids and keep the module only one month then shipped it to the next person, and so on. So this module will never be for ever in someone hoard.
So, who's with me? :D

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:48 pm 

A print run of 25 is collectable. A print run of 1 is a curiosity rather. Number 1 is more valuable if 2-25 actually exist I think.

lokiwookie wrote:keep the module only one month then shipped it to the next person, and so on.

I like the idea but how about twisting it a bit. If delayed gratification is okay, circulate the module among interested/willing Acaeum members for autographs / dates (keeping track of who has it at any given time to keep it moving) - then hold the auction afterward.

Now - instead of a one-off with no context, we have an item with a pedigree and interesting provenance.  The real value then evolves from the history of the item (rather than the item itself), and even if it gets dinged up a bit along the way, all who contributed their mark and their postage are invested in some way, and we can be a bit jealous of who eventually gets to keep the special one.

Wasnt there an early PhB or something that was being circulated for awhile, and people talking about having "their turn" with it?

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:10 pm 

stratochamp wrote:actually John, I think that had Thork's initial idea played out, you would have been the likliest winning bidder; my guess would be somewhere from 100-125. You probably would have held it for a few years and either sold it to another acaeumite or traded it for a bunch of judges guild stuff. my collecting obsession to have one of everything is encompassed from the domesday books through 2003 (I collect sporadically after that; mainly the products of my friends Tim & Frank). I hadn't planned on bidding again, as i stated, I was getting the ball rolling as a thank you to Thork for some friendly customer service. without specifically discussing it with him, i suspect Bracton has similar feelings. the lawrenson's (& probably others) would not have bid. i think the winning bidder would have been someone who has steadily collected all of Thork's products and who would have viewed this as a great jewel. while it will still be a jewel for the winner, personally i don't think it will shine quite as brightly. that's my .02

Cannot dissagree with this as it makes a lot of sense to me.
And I would indeed love to bid on this item, unfortunately the timing is very bad for me.  :(
I Just spent a lot at the convention and I will need to move some extras from my collection to make up for all the convention purchases.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:27 pm 

Okay. Well, leave it to ol' Thorkie to step on his own foot. BUT, I believe we've brainstormed a solution here. My thanks to everyone that stuck with it, and came up with a good idea. AND HERE IT IS...

All members will be able to directly order a copy with the 2nd cover from Lulu. ($7.99+shipping).
That way, it goes straight to your abode , shrinkwrapped against a nice piece of cardboard in a nice lulu box!  
These won't be numbered or signed, order as many as you like (this isn't a limited print run like Sea Maidens--NOR is it an adventure connected to that item).
Here's the cover.
Here's the link:
http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... l/12967061
And the "Banned" cover prepub will stay on the auction block.
Does that get me out of hot water with everyone?  :oops:

"Here's to swimmin with bowl-legged wimin"

PreviousNext