Alarums & Excursions
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:29 pm 

Esteemed Acaei,

Got directed to your hallowed forum by the ENWORLDians when I put to them the question below so here goes:

Can anybody provide me with the original texts describing the following OD&D/AD&D1E monsters in certain - very early - issues of Alarums & Excursions (APA)?

BANTH, by Jason R. Saylor and Rodney Tobar
BLACK LEECH, by Larry Stehle
BOGY, by Bear Hedberg
CENSUS-TAKER, by Cheryl P. Lloyd
DEATH SNAKE, by Bill Bleuth
GLITCH, by Chris Pettus (issue #18?)
GOLD EATER, by Lee Gold
IRON DEMON, by Glen Blacow
KZIN, by Mark Swanson
MAGIC ABSORBER, by Nicolai Shapiro (Nicholai Shapers?  issue #12?)
SPHEX, by Nicolai Shapiro
TANSTAAFL, by Bill Taylor (after Robert Heinlein?)
THREEP, by Robert Hollandier (Robert Hollander?)
TYPO, by Lee Gold

Failing that, any other information that could lead to retrieval of said texts or transcripts thereof (e.g., issue numbers) would be very, very much appreciated.

I have already contacted the people at A&E but unfortunately they couldn't help me any further.

Much obliged,

ilgatto

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:12 pm 

A&E#12 Notes from the Unerground #7 (Nicolai Shapero)

MAGIC ABSORBERS -- number appearing --? (fit to level) Arc1 3 vs normal weapons, ArC1 9 vs magic weapons. "Damage" done to these creatures by magic/magical weapons ADDS to the number of hit points remaing to the creature rather than subtracting. For each 4.5 hit points added in this fashion, add 1 hit die to the creature.

Appears in the form of a colored globe of light approximately four feet in diameter.

Hit Dice      Color                 Attacks      Damage/Attack Successful
1               Deep Red           1               1-4
2               Light Red            1               1-6
3               Orange               1               1-8
4               Yellow                 2               1-10
5               Green                 2              1-12
6               BlueGreen           2               2-12
7               Blue                    2               2-16
8               Blue White           2               3-18
9               White                  3                1-20
10              Black                  4                2-40special

Special=target must save vs magic or be stunned for 1-4 movement turns

When they reach 175 hit points, they explode doing 10d6 damage to a distance of five feet.

Magic Absorbers may neither be charmed nor slept -- and attempts to do so result in the spell being reflected back at the caster. Also --
Magic Absorbers always save vs phantasmal force.

Treasure type A for magic absorbers

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:49 pm 

ilgatto wrote:Got directed to your hallowed forum by the ENWORLDians when I put to them the question below so here goes:

That was me, for the record :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:22 pm 

BTW I will post the trasncript of the glitch tomorrow and see about tracking down some of the others.

Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:44 am 

WOW! Thanx a lot! I've been wondering about these monsters for years and years now so it's a true pleasure to finally see one of them as it appeared originally.

I assume that "Notes from the Underground" is the name of the column that has the text? As in: its 7th instalment?

Also looks like someone took this monster and then went and created the spell Chromatic Orb (UA), what?

Can't wait for the Glitch!

ilgatto

Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:29 am 

Something like this for a 2E conversion?
Attachment:
acaeum_magicabsorber.doc

Is it Shapero (A&E) or Shapiro (ATWM2)?

ilgatto

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:53 pm 

A&E#18 Shores of Infinity By Chris Pettus (With thse APA zines each contributor is considered to be sending in their own zine, hence the titles and numbering of their contributions.

GLITCH: AC 9; Number: 1 Dice: 1+4: Move: 12". Lair & Treas: Nil
This little critter looks somewhat like a tribble (a one inch diameter ball of fur). They are complete pacifists but are fascinated by noise, wondering why the strange people are doing that. When a melee is being conducted within 30' of a Glitch, all attacking must save vs. magic or they will not hit (do not roll), no spells will take, etc... This will continue until either the melee or the Glitch moves away. Glitches, if attacked, will ise a panic teleport similar to a blink dog's Blink. When watching a melee, they will hide in shadows with the same successs as a 9th level thief.

Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:14 am 

Thanx again. Fascinating to see how the original text got subtly altered in later publications (ATWM2 and WD4) as the authors of these gave their own interpretations of it. Attached a 2E conversion in which I decided to leave open the possibility of DMs allowing combat to go on without PCs knowing what is going on. Couldn't leave out the saving throws of course; the DM will have to make them but that's probably how many DMs would handle encounters with the glitch anyway? What do you think? Did Pettus intend for that to be possible in spite of his "do not roll" or am I just adding another interpretation to the ones in ATWM2 and WD4? Any other suggestions anyone? Perhaps this is not the forum for conversions?

By the way, fascinating letter by EGG in A&E#2 as posted on the Hall of the Mountain King blog. I always thought that there was a bit of war going on where the origins of D&D were concerned but here is EGG actually stating very clearly who did what.

Please please please keep the texts coming!

Attachment:
acaeum_glitch.pdf

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:26 am 

Being a bit of an idiot webwise I only just discovered some of you guys started indexing A&E earlier. Using what was there and data I gathered over the years led to the following, which may hopefully ease any consulting of back issues?

The below is based on information found in the A&E contents listings in the Acaeum wiki, on mentionings in White Dwarf magazine (WD), mostly in the "Monsters Mild & Malign" sections of WD4 and WD5 and, to a lesser extent, WD6 (Fiend Factory) and WD7 (Lair of the Demon Queen and letter by Dr. J. A. Gilmore) and on a list of contributors to A&E provided by Lee Gold, which is hereunder attached.
Since WD5 was published late 1977 one could assume that most of the monsters below will have appeared before A&E31 (March 1978) except, perhaps, the census-taker, the tanstaafl (both WD6, April/May 1978) and the soul feed (WD7, June/July 1978).

White Dwarf 4 (December/January 1977/1978)
BLACK LEECH (Larry Stehle) in A&E 16, 19, 24, 29, 31?
DEATH SNAKE (Bill Bleuth or Bleuel) in A&E 16, 18, 19, 25, 27?
TYPO* (Lee Gold) in A&E 1-4 or 6-31? As in, not in issue 5

White Dwarf 5 (February/March 1978)
BANTH (Jason R. Saylor and Rodney Tobar) in A&E 18?
BOGY (Bear Hedberg) in A&E 3?
GOLD EATER (Lee Gold) in A&E 1-4 or 6-31? (i.e., not in 5)
IRON DEMON (Glenn Blacow or Blascow) in A&E 9-17, 19-22, 24 to 27?
KZIN** (Mark Swanson) in A&E 1-4, 6-15, 18, 23, 24, 26, 29, 30?
SPHEX*** (Nicolai Shapero or Nicholai Shapers or Nicolai Shapiro) in A&E 5, 8-14, 16-21, 24, 28, 31?
THREEP (Robert Hollander or Hollandier) in A&E 4, 12, 13, 19, 20, 24, 25, 28?

White Dwarf 6 (April/May 1978)
CENSUS-TAKER (Cheryl P. Lloyd) in A&E 19-21, 23, 24, 26, 29?
TANSTAAFL**** (Bill Taylor) in A&E 16, 18, 20, 26?

White Dwarf 7 (June/July 1978)
SOUL FEED (Nicolai Shapero or Nicholai Shapers or Nicolai Shapiro) in A&E 5, 8-14, 16-21, 24, 28, 31?

* From Walter A. Willis and Bob Shaw, The Enchanted Duplicator (1954)
** From Larry Niven, Ringworld novels (started 1970?)
*** From Murray Leinster, Exploration Team, in: Astounding Science Fiction, March 1956 (1956)
**** From Robert Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, in: If (issues December 1965, January 1966, February 1966, March 1966 and April 1966) (1965-1966)

Attachment:
A&Eindexes.all.doc