What Campaigns & Games has everyone played?
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:24 am 

red_bus wrote:eh? I am sorry - have you been reading the posts above?

Yes, I have been reading the posts quite carefully - I am not denying that virtually ANY game system can be made into a long-term successful campaign - I am simply saying that many do not seem to be well set-up for it (at least from reading the rules).  If you have played in any long term campaigns, please feel free to give a little detail. . .

I am sure the many posts above are indicative of what others have played, but that does not necessarily mean they devoted extensive time and many, many gaming hours to developing an ongoing campaign.  I imagine that many flaws have been exposed, many systems "bogged" down either through lack of play-testing before release or lack of foresight by the creators.  That does not necessarily indicate carelessness in the creation process, but even the best play-testing can not equal what hundreds of gamers over a period of years might discover.

If any have had any postive or negative experiences - please feel free to share. . .  8)

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:08 am 

beyondthebreach wrote:So, what input can others give?  Has anyone played in any long-term campaigns that weren't AD&D?  If so, were the rules set up to encompass things well?  Were there serious flaws?   Would you recommend any?

I've played in a ton of campaigns that have survived long periods of time.  Runequest, Vampire, Mage, etc.

I think one key point you're missing is that you're equating "mechanics" with "longevity".  In Vampire, there aren't really magic items, and character progression CAN be slow or fast depending on the Storyteller.  The role-playing is spent ROLE-playing, not ROLL-playing.

This doesn't mean it's superior, only that it achieves its goals in a less numerate form.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:37 am 

beyondthebreach wrote:
red_bus wrote: If you have played in any long term campaigns, please feel free to give a little detail. . .

If any have had any postive or negative experiences - please feel free to share. . .  8)

Well, I played a six year long campaign set in Middle Earth that used a blend of MERP with Rolemaster.  You have to ban a few spells (e.g. teleport) to keep it in line with JRRT Canon, but the combat system is absolutely perfect for a Middle Earth feel - i.e. Trolls become genuinely terrifying and a band of orcs can threaten even the most doughty fighter.

Currently I am also involved in a long running Cthulhu campaign where (despite the high mortality rate) there is a real sense of continuity of the campaign.

BUT - as I said above, the secret to a long campaign lies not in the game mechanics but in the campaign setting.  I could have played in Middle Earth using AD&D, Runequest, Dragonquest or any number of other fantasy rules.  Similarly I could run a greyhawk campaign using Palladium or Stormbringer rules.  I played Space 1889 and the campaign stopped after a few sessions - but that was because we all were doing other stuff - not because te rules inhibited long term growth of the campaign.

BaconTastesGood is doubly right - yes it does taste good and also that the rules themselves are not a guarantee of any continuity.

I wish your campaign all the best success - I would say, pick a fun system and play it out.  They all have flaws ;)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:05 pm 

Ah. . . but my story is far too sad.  I am well past the point of realizing that it has been over 12 years since I have played an RPG. . .  and it looks increasingly unlikely I ever will again. . .

I buy and sell a lot on eBay. . . not only do I make much needed cash, but large amount of items have passed through my hands in the last couple of years.  Sometimes I siphon off something here and there and keep it on the shelves. . . sometimes I read some "low grade" books (ones I am not in danger of damaging any further).  I don't even have time to create campaigns and modules that I will never get a chance to play. . . I know not one single person (who is not a member of these forums) who plays RPG's and it wouldn't matter if I did.

So, you see, I am left to the truly pathetic recourse of imagining how a particular game might play out.  The barebones mechanics are what strike me most - creative campaign worlds. . . .well, I have always created my own, so I usually envision a game in the context of a setting that I would make.  Unfortunately, this creates quite a gap between how I imagine something would play out and how it actually does.  

The Campaign Setting?  I am just assuming that any long-term game is safely nested in a playable and intriguing world.  What is of particular interest to me is how the mechanics of a game work after years of play?  I know how D&D works. . .  we all know how D&D works. . . but I have very little insight into how Space Opera (for instance) functions after many gaming sessions.

Perhaps someday, when my kids are grown up more, I can entice them into gathering together some friends and DM once more. . . too bad I only have one child right now and she is only 6 months old. . .   that's a lot of years to wait :!:   :!:   :!:

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Previous