DCC RPG: Hard cover rule book
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 4 of 912, 3, 4, 5 ... 789
Author


Active Collector

Posts: 91
Joined: Jun 22, 2007
Last Visit: Jun 22, 2012

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:00 pm 
 

0-level caster? There is no such thing. You choose a class after you get to 1st level ...

And you only need to reference the spell sheets of the spells you have. For my home game I've given my caster a grimoire printed from the PDF ... so far it is like 5 pages thick because those are the only spells he knows.

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector

Posts: 1592
Joined: Mar 08, 2008
Last Visit: May 17, 2021
Location: Toronto, Canada

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:42 pm 
 

So, what's everyone doing with their 66.5 module in the collectible copy of the book... does it stay tucked in the book for safe-keeping?  Pros/cons to the glue acting on the binding?

Anyone know if the module is in fact being sold separately?

Btw, saw quite a few familiar names in the Playtester's Thank-you... way to represent Acaeum & friends!


I draw the line at collecting... D&D Towels.

Did we need: Jade Magi Sewer Crawl

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions."  - The Forests of Leng

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 3819
Joined: Jul 12, 2007
Last Visit: May 11, 2021

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:51 pm 
 

davidc wrote:So, what's everyone doing with their 66.5 module in the collectible copy of the book... does it stay tucked in the book for safe-keeping?  Pros/cons to the glue acting on the binding?

Anyone know if the module is in fact being sold separately?

Btw, saw quite a few familiar names in the Playtester's Thank-you... way to represent Acaeum & friends!


Do these gum like glues change consistancy over time? Are they moist enough to stain a book if you leave them? I'm not sure but I remember the type from old Dragon mags that would tear the thin paper occasionally. Don't think that would be a problem with the glossy module cover and the binding of the rulebook, but I still removed mine and put it in plastic with a backing board.

I'd also like to know if the module is exclusive or is just a $10 bargain.


"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector

Posts: 1592
Joined: Mar 08, 2008
Last Visit: May 17, 2021
Location: Toronto, Canada

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:54 pm 
 

I just noticed the two short adventures in the back of the rulebook were given out in the Free RPG Day 2011 preview  item from GG... So for you completists out these, grab one of those if you can :)


I draw the line at collecting... D&D Towels.

Did we need: Jade Magi Sewer Crawl

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions."  - The Forests of Leng

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 5029
Joined: Oct 11, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2017
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:16 pm 
 

goatboy wrote:-level caster? There is no such thing. You choose a class after you get to 1st level ...
And you only need to reference the spell sheets of the spells you have. For my home game I've given my caster a grimoire printed from the PDF ... so far it is like 5 pages thick because those are the only spells he knows.


OK, I can see that you would have no zero level casters in your game, but I would argue that the book does not exactly forbid it.
Setting aside the spell tables for 1st and higher level spells which do not even list anything for Zero Level PCs...
What about cantrips for Wizards and prayers for clerics or healers/herbalists, healing skills that do not involve god like intervention.

See page 21-23, under Zero Level characters "Occupations" what is in the Wizard's Apprentice Black Grimoire then?
Cooking recipes?
I would think the apprentice would (at the least) have cantrips in his Grimoire that he has learned from his master.
A Wizard's Apprentice would know cantrips at least and perhaps at least be on the verge of learning one level spells... perhaps they are in the Grimoire butt beyond his skill to use yet?
Cantrips are instead listed as a 1st level spell in the spell listings (half a page).
I read the rules, just do not agree that any Wizard's Apprentice would know zero spells, not even Cantrips.
And as far as I know this is the first system to treat Cantrips as a single 1st level spell.
And it is extremely limited too, even for a cantrip.
Results (what the cantrip does) are based on how high you roll.
I would prefer to use Cantrips the way they are listed in The Dragon Magazine from almost 30 years ago.
(See Best of The Dragon #3).

Some of the 2 pages of occupations listed on Page 22-23.
Wizard's Apprentice
Shaman
Healer
Herbalist
Alchemist
Soldier
Mercenary
Squire
Cutpurse
Outlaw
Hunter

Each of them would have at least basic learning in his/her occupation.
And how could any healer not be able to at the least bind wounds, and perhaps a little more?
It is his occupation...

Outlaws, Soldiers, Mercenaries, all have swords plus they also would have Hide, or Leather armor, or a helmet to start.
Hunters have a bow and deer pelt (hide armor?)
Do they have no fighting skills?

Does a cutpurse have no thieving skills too?


"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM


Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Tue May 22, 2012 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4750
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: May 05, 2021
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:26 pm 
 

JasonZavoda wrote:I'd also like to know if the module is exclusive or is just a $10 bargain.

66.5 is only available to people who preordered the DCC RPG rulebook.

Goodman Games wrote:This adventure module is available exclusively by pre-ordering DCC RPG before it releases! The first 1,000 copies of DCC RPG will have this adventure module inserted as a free pre-order incentive. It is not available for sale separately.


You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 3819
Joined: Jul 12, 2007
Last Visit: May 11, 2021

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:30 pm 
 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
JasonZavoda wrote:I'd also like to know if the module is exclusive or is just a $10 bargain.

66.5 is only available to people who preordered the DCC RPG rulebook.

Goodman Games wrote:This adventure module is available exclusively by pre-ordering DCC RPG before it releases! The first 1,000 copies of DCC RPG will have this adventure module inserted as a free pre-order incentive. It is not available for sale separately.


Front cover of DCC66.5 module:

Free with DCC RPG purchase, $9.99 otherwise.

Did they change their mind? And if so, which way, exclusive or $9.99 general sale.


"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4750
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: May 05, 2021
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:44 pm 
 

JasonZavoda wrote:Front cover of DCC66.5 module:

Free with DCC RPG purchase, $9.99 otherwise.

Did they change their mind? And if so, which way, exclusive or $9.99 general sale.

I dont know.  You could always ask Joe Goodman.  Oh wait....never mind.  :roll:


You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

  


Active Collector

Posts: 91
Joined: Jun 22, 2007
Last Visit: Jun 22, 2012

Post Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:06 am 
 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:
goatboy wrote:-level caster? There is no such thing. You choose a class after you get to 1st level ...
And you only need to reference the spell sheets of the spells you have. For my home game I've given my caster a grimoire printed from the PDF ... so far it is like 5 pages thick because those are the only spells he knows.


OK, I can see that you would have no zero level casters in your game, but I would argue that the book does not exactly forbid it.
Setting aside the spell tables for 1st and higher level spells which do not even list anything for Zero Level PCs...
What about cantrips for Wizards and prayers for clerics or healers/herbalists, healing skills that do not involve god like intervention.


Your take on it is totally different from mine, but that's cool. I think you should publish a 3pp for 0-levelers .... :twisted:

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 266
Joined: Jun 22, 2010
Last Visit: Apr 26, 2015
Location: Seattle

Post Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:55 pm 
 

They totally made it right on the damage--shipping me another one



 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 02, 2021

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:32 am 
 

tsathogga wrote:They totally made it right on the damage--shipping me another one


Hmmm.  How badly damaged was your book?


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 444
Joined: Apr 13, 2008
Last Visit: Sep 26, 2020
Location: Ohio

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:07 am 
 

Goodman Games sent out an email about 4 hours ago stating they are in stores now....+ you can still purchase copies of the Limited Edition Gold Foil cover from their website --> http://www.goodman-games.com/store.html

From whats been discussed in their forums, it appears that the most damaged books were ones that were ordered separately. If the order contained only the one manual, chances are you saw more damage than the ones that ordered a copy of each (regular cover + limited cover). Whether its actually true...who knows  :)

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 326
Joined: Dec 28, 2009
Last Visit: Oct 17, 2020
Location: Belgium

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:09 am 
 

I ordered both and the corners were creased on both books.



  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 5029
Joined: Oct 11, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2017
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:04 am 
 

FormCritic wrote:
tsathogga wrote:They totally made it right on the damage--shipping me another one

Hmmm.  How badly damaged was your book?


I would also like to know this.
Pictures would be good...
Did they send funds to ship the damaged book back?

I cannot speak for the folks who posted at the TLG forums but...

xRalphx wrote:I ordered both and the corners were creased on both books.

Same here.
Both were shipped together in a box that was easily 2 or 3 times bigger than needed for the books, with wadded paper as the ONLY packaing inside.
The Books were not protected at all, nothing between the books, they were simply put into the bottom with some wadded paper tossed in on top.
BOTH books have damage to almost every corner.


"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 266
Joined: Jun 22, 2010
Last Visit: Apr 26, 2015
Location: Seattle

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:57 am 
 

My book had all corners smushed pretty badly, and a crease/dent on the front cover about 4 inches long.



 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 02, 2021

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:34 pm 
 

Mine just has relatively mild....annoying....dents to the corners.


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  


Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3363
Joined: Oct 10, 2006
Last Visit: May 18, 2021
Location: Wandering aimlessly on the 8th level down...

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:37 pm 
 

Sounds like a bad case of packaging throughout then, which is disappointing and worrying....


Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 02, 2021

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:55 pm 
 

It was pretty much guaranteed by the unpadded cardboard box.  Any bump...any bang.


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 02, 2021

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:56 pm 
 

davidc wrote:So, what's everyone doing with their 66.5 module in the collectible copy of the book... does it stay tucked in the book for safe-keeping?  Pros/cons to the glue acting on the binding?

Anyone know if the module is in fact being sold separately?

Btw, saw quite a few familiar names in the Playtester's Thank-you... way to represent Acaeum & friends!


I took mine out.  I figured the module insert would damage the spine and end papers if left in place...and the end papers on this book are pretty spectacular.


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 5029
Joined: Oct 11, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2017
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:04 pm 
 

I can picture Several problems if you leave it inside with the sticky stuff attached to the book and module.
One of those problems is that the sticky stuff MIGHT leave an oily stain on the endpaper inside the book.
As FormCritic stated above, the endpaper art work is spectacular.

I cannot picture any problems coming up by taking the module out.
Why would anyone risk that art work by leaving the module inside?
Both of my books are module free and all the sticky stuff has been trashed.


"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

  
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 4 of 912, 3, 4, 5 ... 789