DCC RPG: Hard cover rule book
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:16 pm 

FormCritic wrote:The PDF looks great on my Nook....particularly the back cover endpaper.
I wouldn't know how the hardcopies look...because they haven't arrived.   :evil:

I ordered the books a long while ago and do not recall if I got the PDF as well.
Do you recall how that was done?
Was the PDF an extra aside from the hard copy, or part of the main book package along with the 66.5 adventure?

Rabbit_67 wrote:My only disappointment was that the books (one of each) were placed in the box with wadded up paper on top to take up the remainder of the space in the box (packing material).  Nothing was added below or to the sides and all the corners on my books are dinged / dented from handling.   :(

Yep I had made the same order; for one of each type book.
And both of my books also have EVERY single corner dinged and bent.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:57 pm 

Goodman sent out an email a few weeks ago with a coupon code that made downloading the PDF from RPGnow free.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:58 pm 

Image ]

He looks like Vercingetorix with clown pants :)
I should have bought the standard edition finally.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:45 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Great -  Another Castle Zagyg, The Upper Works disaster?

from the website

Collector-quality copies: We are unfortunately not able to guarantee "collector-quality" copies. Even if the copy we package is pristine, we cannot guarantee that the mail carrier will deliver it pristine. If you are a collector looking for a "perfect" copy of a book, please be advised that we do not accept returns due to the normal wear-and-tear of the mail order process.

so perhaps no surprises then - though I must say I am a little teempted by these books, an their shipping (costs, at least) are not the worst in the world

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:05 pm 

And here is a thread from Goodman's forum with more than one person upset about the shipping method.

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 60&t=33819

I guess I was extremely lucky.  My book was shipped the same as everyone else's and there wasnt a scratch or ding on it.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:06 pm 

Yep, we paid only $4 to ship to France!  8O Only $4!! For such an huge book!

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:09 pm 

lokiwookie wrote:He looks like Vercingetorix with clown pants :)  

In 1974, we all aspired to look like Vercingetorix in clown pants. Unfortunately, Goodman apparently remembered this.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:33 pm 

Who or what is Vercingetorix ?

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:40 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:Who or what is Vercingetorix ?

French comic character set in Roman era if I remember correctly. Asterix & Vercingetorix?

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:57 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:French comic character set in Roman era if I remember correctly. Asterix & Vercingetorix?

Maybe he was in the beta version before Asterix & Obelisk :)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:13 pm 

Mars wrote:
JasonZavoda wrote:French comic character set in Roman era if I remember correctly. Asterix & Vercingetorix?

:lol:

So, no, he is not, nor the imaginary friend of Maréchal Petain....

Actually, Vercingetorix was the chieftin who united all the Gauls tribes against the Roman Empire during Gallic Wars (under Caesar's reign)... We can say that he was the very first King of "French" people.

I am wondering if the DCC barbarian is a representation of a Gauls' chief. Very similar to Vercingetorix representations:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:16 pm 

Got my DCC rpg hardcover today....it is huge...looking forward to diving in...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:36 am 

gyg wrote:
FormCritic wrote:Great -  Another Castle Zagyg, The Upper Works disaster?

from the website

Collector-quality copies: We are unfortunately not able to guarantee "collector-quality" copies. Even if the copy we package is pristine, we cannot guarantee that the mail carrier will deliver it pristine. If you are a collector looking for a "perfect" copy of a book, please be advised that we do not accept returns due to the normal wear-and-tear of the mail order process.

so perhaps no surprises then - though I must say I am a little teempted by these books, an their shipping (costs, at least) are not the worst in the world

So, yes, another Castle Zagyg disaster.  I'm crossing my fingers on my own copies..... :evil:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:41 am 

lokiwookie wrote:
Mars wrote:

:lol:

So, no, he is not, nor the imaginary friend of Maréchal Petain....

Actually, Vercingetorix was the chieftin who united all the Gauls tribes against the Roman Empire during Gallic Wars (under Caesar's reign)... We can say that he was the very first King of "French" people.

I am wondering if the DCC barbarian is a representation of a Gauls' chief. Very similar to Vercingetorix representations:

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

I've always like that picture of Vercingetorix.  Before he surrendered at Alesia, he rode around Caesar's hilltop position a couple times...magificent and defiant...while Caesar's guards tensed for an attack.  Then he surrendered for the good of his people.  It lends some final dignity to the Celtic defeat in Gaul.  I've always thought Caesar would have done better to adopt Vercingetorix than to treat him as a prize.

Last edited by FormCritic on Fri May 11, 2012 1:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:42 am 

JasonZavoda wrote:
Gnat the Beggar wrote:Who or what is Vercingetorix ?

French comic character set in Roman era if I remember correctly. Asterix & Vercingetorix?

Asterix and Obelix.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:44 am 

FormCritic wrote:
JasonZavoda wrote:

Asterix and Obelix.

Sense and Humor. We should have an Asterix smiley or at least one with a big mustache.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:51 am 

lokiwookie wrote:Yep, we paid only $4 to ship to France!  8O Only $4!! For such an huge book!

Same here. I'm surprised I didn't get a notification afterwards to pay more shipping since when they were handing out the posters they did ask some money for the shipping.

Seeing the comments from shipments inside the US I'm already very worried about how they will arrive overhere  :?

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:37 pm 

Unfortunately, I can't imagine that your books will arrive without some damage.  I hope they do.  Both of mine had fairly large corner dings, more so on one cover, than the other, depending on whether that cover was on the inside or outside.

The problem was that there was little clearance between the books and the box.  Any ding/dents, which are inevitable with most shippers handling practices, will directly impact what's stored inside.  Wish they would have used a slightly larger box and a little buffer paper.

Goodman has also layered cardboard on the inside before with my orders, which has helped as well.  Not sure with these collectible books why they would have thought ahead on this one.

PreviousNext