DCC RPG: Hard cover rule book
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:26 am 

Is the content the same. If so why release another Limited Edition?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:35 pm 

Sardan wrote:Is the content the same. If so why release another Limited Edition?

$$$

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:14 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:
Sardan wrote:Is the content the same. If so why release another Limited Edition?

$$$

Yes, exactly. Not to mention they had zero presence at Gen Con this year 8O  
People were coming to the OSR booth looking for the DCC book at a ver consistent rate. I almost hung a sign saying we did not have it.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:57 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:

$$$

Is there a time when collectors draw a line on picking up new copies of 'limited edition' copies if there's no new content and it's just a cash cow, or do you still go get it anyway?

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:06 pm 

I stopped collecting Goodman Games stuff awhile ago.  Only picked up the 4e modules when Troll Lords had them as a bundle for cheap.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:10 pm 

ashmire13 wrote:Is there a time when collectors draw a line on picking up new copies of 'limited edition' copies if there's no new content and it's just a cash cow, or do you still go get it anyway?

I'm sure it varies by collector and line.

DCC doesn't do anything for me, so I don't care in this case.  If it were, say, Call Of Cthulhu, then yeah, I'd probably get sucked in.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:49 am 

I'm also considering giving up on my 'Complete DCC' collection goal. If I don't run it myself, I probably won't get to play the game anyway since it's not even available in the local gamestore overhere.

Call of Cthulhu yup, I would get suckered into that one. Legend of the 5 rings suckered me into buying the 4th edition rulebook and then buying it again 8 or 9 times, each with a different clan logo on the cover. But that would pretty much be the only games I would do something like that for.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:06 am 

TheHistorian wrote:

$$$

Yes, that was exactly what I thought. I think it demeans everyone involved, frankly.

I have been meaning into pick up DCC RPG and I will probably get the 2nd print normal cover. Errata, index and no BS.

I find the current trend for publishing ltd editions and multiple versions of the same content extremely tiresome.  It feels like publishers trying to make the same money from a smaller market when they should be trying to expand the RPG market.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:13 pm 

Sardan wrote:I find the current trend for publishing ltd editions and multiple versions of the same content extremely tiresome.  It feels like publishers trying to make the same money from a smaller market when they should be trying to expand the RPG market.

I think a limited edition can be okay, but trotting out a special cover for every release is overkill, and certainly can't help a company's image.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:27 pm 

I will typically get a limited edition cover when a new edition is released or if its an anniversary, like the Deadlands Reloaded 10 Year or the Shadowrun and Earthdawn releases. Otherwise... if its just "because," I don't see the point. It would have to have something interesting to make it palpable, like something you just cannot get any other way.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:18 pm 

It's worth noting that Harley Stroh could run a game of chess as an RPG, and it would be a rockin' game. The dude is a DM par excellance, which means that it's (a) good that he is backing DCC but (b) a good DM experience with him says nothing about the quality of DCC. It's all about Harley's incredible skill, not so much about DCC.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:24 pm 

I'm pretty disappointed in the DCC rules and I don't care for the adventures. I like the idea of the random nasty effects for magic and I plan on using it as a basis for a critical spell results table in my campaign when MU's try to cast more than their allotted spells. Otherwise I will stick to 1eAD&D and the Astonishing Swordsmen version I'm still learning. Not sure what I am going to do with my DCC rulebook but the pictures are still real pretty.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:01 pm 

Any inklings of boxset adventure paths like Saga of the Dragon Cult etc for this that anyone's seem yet?

It'd be good to see a 1-10 (say) series developed.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:41 pm 

And another limited edition of the DCC rulebook is now available for pre-order. This time with an Easley cover.

http://www.goodman-games.com/5070Epreview.html

Pre-ordering this one during June makes you eligible to also purchase a print version of DCC 76.5 : Well of the worm and a limited edition Dungeon crawl art folio.

For me personally, I must admit it's the coolest cover so far.

In the meanwhile I've started saving up for the Jaquays/Elmore/Araya/Brom/Baxa/Caldwell/Dee/DiTerlizzi/Fields/Lockwood/Reynolds covers  :twisted: (no offense intended if your name is not in this list and you feel you should also get a shot at the cover  :wink:  )

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:46 pm 

and just to annoy you (and me).. this looks to be a limited ed print.. you game to be running a con game or such to get one in print.. put in on my want list .. alas..

Dungeon Crawl Classics

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:10 am 

xRalphx wrote in DCC RPG: Hard cover rule book:And another limited edition of the DCC rulebook is now available for pre-order. This time with an Easley cover.

http://www.goodman-games.com/5070Epreview.html

Pre-ordering this one during June makes you eligible to also purchase a print version of DCC 76.5 : Well of the worm and a limited edition Dungeon crawl art folio.

For me personally, I must admit it's the coolest cover so far.

In the meanwhile I've started saving up for the Jaquays/Elmore/Araya/Brom/Baxa/Caldwell/Dee/DiTerlizzi/Fields/Lockwood/Reynolds covers  :twisted: (no offense intended if your name is not in this list and you feel you should also get a shot at the cover  :wink:  )

Well, the cover is quite nice but I'm not sure I need a 480 page rulebook for $60.  Ouch.  

~throwi

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:25 am 

JasonZavoda wrote in DCC RPG: Hard cover rule book:I'm pretty disappointed in the DCC rules and I don't care for the adventures. I like the idea of the random nasty effects for magic and I plan on using it as a basis for a critical spell results table in my campaign when MU's try to cast more than their allotted spells. Otherwise I will stick to 1eAD&D and the Astonishing Swordsmen version I'm still learning. Not sure what I am going to do with my DCC rulebook but the pictures are still real pretty.

Jason,

I'd be interested in what you think of the magic rules in my game system, found here free of charge:  throwigames.com/downloads.html

My main guidelines are but 21 pages with an additional 12 pages in the Advanced Guide - easy enough to read through once or twice in an evening.  I have designed magic in my system to be completely wide-open, allowing for almost anything that the player can dream up.  You can find basic magic guidelines in the core document and AOE ideas in the Advanced Guidelines.

One thing you'll notice with TSRS is that there are few guidelines.  It's a system designed for quick play and advancement, with little to no "rule-checking".

Thanks,

throwi

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:04 am 

throwi wrote in DCC RPG: Hard cover rule book:
JasonZavoda wrote in DCC RPG: Hard cover rule book:I'm pretty disappointed in the DCC rules and I don't care for the adventures. I like the idea of the random nasty effects for magic and I plan on using it as a basis for a critical spell results table in my campaign when MU's try to cast more than their allotted spells. Otherwise I will stick to 1eAD&D and the Astonishing Swordsmen version I'm still learning. Not sure what I am going to do with my DCC rulebook but the pictures are still real pretty.

Jason,

I'd be interested in what you think of the magic rules in my game system, found here free of charge:  throwigames.com/downloads.html

My main guidelines are but 21 pages with an additional 12 pages in the Advanced Guide - easy enough to read through once or twice in an evening.  I have designed magic in my system to be completely wide-open, allowing for almost anything that the player can dream up.  You can find basic magic guidelines in the core document and AOE ideas in the Advanced Guidelines.

One thing you'll notice with TSRS is that there are few guidelines.  It's a system designed for quick play and advancement, with little to no "rule-checking".

Thanks,

throwi

I will give a read-through of your rule system and let you know what I think.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

PreviousNext