"Did I hit.....?"

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:13 pm 

And the $60,000 level is breached!   8)

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:31 pm 

The latest update for goodies after breaking $60,000 is looking good! I like the idea of more goodies coming along :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:36 am 

tsathogga wrote:ps--Sardan--I added about 20 new levels, a twon, some low level stuff, and a Temple of the Frog w/ its own dungeon. Its not just a rehash.

Oh I'll probably order a copy (or four ;) ) :lol:

I would like to see a Slumbering Tsar S&W or OSRIC version though.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:41 pm 

is this right.. from update #7..

"Please note that for the higher pledge levels you will receive additional copies of the players guide and softcover book of maps (i.e. $500 Level receives 2 copies, $650/$1000/$1200 Level receives 4 copies, $2000/$3000 receives 5 copies, $5000 level receives 8 copies, and $10,000 level receives 10 copies) but not of the "Cyclopean Deeps" bonus modules."

So does that mean at the $650 level, you get 4 books, 4 players guides, 4 map books, 4 level 7b books..but only 1 each of the "Cyclopean Deeps" bonus modules..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:20 pm 

beasterbrook wrote:is this right.. from update #7..

"Please note that for the higher pledge levels you will receive additional copies of the players guide and softcover book of maps (i.e. $500 Level receives 2 copies, $650/$1000/$1200 Level receives 4 copies, $2000/$3000 receives 5 copies, $5000 level receives 8 copies, and $10,000 level receives 10 copies) but not of the "Cyclopean Deeps" bonus modules."

So does that mean at the $650 level, you get 4 books, 4 players guides, 4 map books, 4 level 7b books..but only 1 each of the "Cyclopean Deeps" bonus modules..

That seems to be what it is saying, but that really bites. I can't believe they would screw the $650 pledgers out of the bonus modules. The people at the $1000 pledge level would be better off doing 4 $250 pledges.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:40 pm 

The Cyclopean Deep modules won't be exclusive to the kickstarter like the level 7b books.  They'll be on sale like other FGG modules, presumably.

As Matt put it on K&KA:

Cyclopean Deeps 1 and 2 will be available for sale after the Kickstarter, probably $10 each, though. Those are going to be 16 page modules in a long series of stand-alone "deep underground" locations linked with a D1-3 style "Underdark" map.

So buying 4 $250 pledges, as compared to the $650 pledge, might be expensive to get an extra three $10 modules.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:07 pm 

jarloch wrote:The Cyclopean Deep modules won't be exclusive to the kickstarter like the level 7b books.  They'll be on sale like other FGG modules, presumably.

As Matt put it on K&KA:

Cyclopean Deeps 1 and 2 will be available for sale after the Kickstarter, probably $10 each, though. Those are going to be 16 page modules in a long series of stand-alone "deep underground" locations linked with a D1-3 style "Underdark" map.

So buying 4 $250 pledges, as compared to the $650 pledge, might be expensive to get an extra three $10 modules.

Wow, this should really be made clear on the kickstarter site. From the way this was posted these bonus modules sounded exclusive. If they are going to be mass produced modules then they shouldn't be called 'bonus' modules in the way that the 7B module is called a bonus module.

That is a pretty cheap-ass pledge level bonus then. FGG needs to look at what SJG is doing with their OGRE pledge level rewards. And if these are going to be common as dirt modules then why penalize the $650 pledge level people by not including them?

I sent this as a message from the kickstarter page but I am not sure if it went through so I am adding it to this post. It repeats a number of points and comments I already posted but I also ask some qquestions I wanted to add to this post anyway:

I can't post as I'm not a backer, but I was really disappointed to learn that the Cyclopean Depths modules will not be exclusive to the kickstarter program. I was also disappointed to learn that at the $650 level you will only get one set of these Cyclopean depths modules, leaving the 3 other books purchased as incomplete sets.

It really should be made clear that Cyclopean depths modules are not 'bonus' modules in the way that module 7B is as exclusive to the kickstarter (or am I wrong here, will 7B end up being available for sale as a stand alone module after the kickstarter program is over?)

Honestly the Cyclopean Depths modules are a piss-poor pledge level reward for the project if they are just common as dirt $10 modules. I am very enthusiastic about the Rappan Athuk kickstarter but this is very disappointing.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:46 pm 

I'll balance stuff out guys--its changing pretty rapidly on our end as we scramble to set up higher tier bonus goals. I promise I'll hook up the higher bid guys--but the modules for Cyclopean Deeps are non exclusive--I would lose all my $100 guys if they weren't. Honestly I am getting kicked by most of them for the exclusive module. That being said, I am keeping 7B exclusive. It will be the collectable one.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:02 pm 

tsathogga wrote:I'll balance stuff out guys--its changing pretty rapidly on our end as we scramble to set up higher tier bonus goals. I promise I'll hook up the higher bid guys--but the modules for Cyclopean Deeps are non exclusive--I would lose all my $100 guys if they weren't. Honestly I am getting kicked by most of them for the exclusive module. That being said, I am keeping 7B exclusive. It will be the collectable one.

The problem is that with the Rappan Athuk kickstarter the more you pledge the worse the deal you seem to get. I doubt you'd lose $100 backers, what you would do is gain $250+ backers.

I compare this with SJG OGRE where the bigger the pledge the greater the reward. Think it creates an atmosphere of excitement. So far the Rappan Athuk project is exciting but the pledge rewards and the pledge goal rewards keep having unfortunate surprises.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:16 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:
I can't post as I'm not a backer, but I was really disappointed to learn that the Cyclopean Depths modules will not be exclusive to the kickstarter program. I was also disappointed to learn that at the $650 level you will only get one set of these Cyclopean depths modules, leaving the 3 other books purchased as incomplete sets.

I think thats a bit harsh Jason... its still a great deal.. and doesn't change anything in my mind.. the $650 level is still the "level" to get.. you might now have to "buy"the other versions of the "bonus" (pathfinder/ S&W) modules.. but at least you can buy them.. I look at it this way.. the modules are just that.. and add on to the main attraction.. and its the main attraction that will be worth the most at the end of the day.. the belief that all the bonus modules were "exclusive" made it more so of course, but still 4 coppies of 7b will be fine.. at the $650 level you are $162.50 (inc the 7b)..

One of the biggest issues I sometimes find on Kickstarter is "what do I actually get" and the fact the the funding levels are static.. they can change over time, things get added, new levels etc..

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:34 pm 

beasterbrook wrote:
JasonZavoda wrote:

I think thats a bit harsh Jason... its still a great deal.. and doesn't change anything in my mind.. the $650 level is still the "level" to get.. you might now have to "buy"the other versions of the "bonus" (pathfinder/ S&W) modules.. but at least you can buy them.. I look at it this way.. the modules are just that.. and add on to the main attraction.. and its the main attraction that will be worth the most at the end of the day.. the belief that all the bonus modules were "exclusive" made it more so of course, but still 4 coppies of 7b will be fine.. at the $650 level you are $162.50 (inc the 7b)..

One of the biggest issues I sometimes find on Kickstarter is "what do I actually get" and the fact the the funding levels are static.. they can change over time, things get added, new levels etc..

It comes down to the 'bonus' material weighing in at $250 when you pledge at the $650 level. It is a better deal in some ways than the $250 level which makes the 1 set of bonus material cost $150

I think in the excitement of the Kickstarter programs with the changing bonuses and rewards  people forget that they are pre-ordering a game and it does come down to what you are getting for your money. At $650 you are ordering 4 $100 books and getting supplemental material of undeteremined value but at a $250 cost. The rewards are a nice extra but once they have met the reward goals then they become part of what is being offered for sale. My problem with this revelation from Mythmere on the K&KA site and the information you (Brette) quoted from the Kickstarter Update (which I believe may have changed) dramatically changes what is being offered as rewards. I don't think it was clear that the Cyclopean Depths bonus modules were going to be made available after the release of the book and since they are non-exclusive it is a big change in what a $650 purchase is going to bring you.

I don't think this is a harsh view or comment, simply trying to get down to brass tacks about what kind of deal is actually being offered.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:12 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:
It comes down to the 'bonus' material weighing in at $250 when you pledge at the $650 level. It is a better deal in some ways than the $250 level which makes the 1 set of bonus material cost $150

I think in the excitement of the Kickstarter programs with the changing bonuses and rewards  people forget that they are pre-ordering a game and it does come down to what you are getting for your money. At $650 you are ordering 4 $100 books and getting supplemental material of undeteremined value but at a $250 cost. The rewards are a nice extra but once they have met the reward goals then they become part of what is being offered for sale. My problem with this revelation from Mythmere on the K&KA site and the information you (Brette) quoted from the Kickstarter Update (which I believe may have changed) dramatically changes what is being offered as rewards. I don't think it was clear that the Cyclopean Depths bonus modules were going to be made available after the release of the book and since they are non-exclusive it is a big change in what a $650 purchase is going to bring you.

I don't think this is a harsh view or comment, simply trying to get down to brass tacks about what kind of deal is actually being offered.

Its hasn't "changed" it has been clarified that all.. its all about what we each think unfortunatly.. one person sees bonus and he sees exclusivity (and admittadly I did) and another see an extra add on of a module that will be sold seperatly.. thats why its always good to ask questions to "know" exacly what you are getting.. I see it this way

at $100 you get the book
at the $175 you get a huge limited ed book signed and numbered and a couple of extras I'm personally not interesed in (stocking filler)
at $250 you get the exclusive module and battle mat plus same stocking filler
at $500 you get 2 of the $250 level.. 2x level above and name on tomestone however you only get 1 of the bonues modules (its now better to get 2 x $250 level in pure product sence.. you get a second copy of the boneus modules but no name on tomestone, so name is 'costting" $30 of product for you)
at the $650 level you get 4 coppies of the huge book (inc the ex module) plus 1 of the stocking fillers etc
at $1000 you get 4 books, 4 stocking fillers, 1 bonus modules, 1  scanned (printed) of the notes.. nice but not me, costing $350 in my book..

if you wated the limited you have to be in at least $250 level.. at this level its $250 per book, the $500 is $250 per book, the $650 is $162.50 per book, the $1000 is $250 per book..

the $650 level wins hands down..

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:21 pm 

Brette--bonus modules are supposed to be 1:1. That was fixed

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:40 pm 

Even better then.. $650 is still winning;)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:56 pm 

ps--something special is coming at the $5k and 10k levels--Can't say what yet--but it will be one of a kind.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:42 pm 

Nooooooo.....

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:52 am 

beasterbrook wrote:$650 is still winning;)

sounds like something Charlie Sheen would say :)

I agree that on the "collectible levels" that it originally sounded like the Cyclopean module(s) was/were exclusive -- at least that's the way that I took it when it first was noted on the site. I agree with Brett that $650 is the best deal...but it's REALLY pricey and probably above most people's bank accounts. Maybe it's a good way to go about buying as a group?

I tend to think that Jason is right in the comparison to the SJG project, where the funding levels ratcheted up more the extras that you walk away with.

PreviousNext