Rappan Athuk Kickstarter is live!!!
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:19 pm 

I must admit, I'm out too. It seemed a big drive in the end just to be the top KS project and on the basis of some if the goodies being just dice, badges or t-shirts, it no longer worked for me.

However, I have upped my KS pledge for Appendix N, as it appealed to me as a new project, with good new items, worthwhile bonuses to increase me pledge and a series of adventures I think I'll use. I wish John every auccess in what he is doing with this :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:47 pm 

Although I am staying in, I was bummed to see them offering the Slumbering Tsar book for $100, especially since alot of us paid $125 a year prior to it coming out and helping fund those pre-orders...and what Bill had mentioned on here before...

tsathogga wrote:The after order price should be 150, not 125. Also, only direct orders are signed and numbered.  Paizo is also selling pre orders at 125, not signed and numbered, but the pre ordered from me.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:55 pm 

The book is about 600 pages--52 dungeon levels with about 120 maps. There is a town (Zelkor's Ferry), an evil temple and subdungeon (ribbett), a bunch of wilderness areas, another subdungeon with 6 levels for lower level PCs. Book will be textbook bound, stitched, and with a faux leather cover and silk bookmark.

The rest of the schwag includes a battle mat, a DM screen, a map book, a bestiary, 3 extra bonus modules, a players guide and all the fluffy stuff like dice/bags/minis/shirts/buttons etc.  Many don't care about the bonus stuff--but lots of people specifically asked for these items, so we added them.

Sorry if I confused you Jon and Ash--I do get that its a bit confusing, but we have been scrambling to keep up with the pledge levels. The discounted other books are intended to 1) reduce warehouse space and b) catch up to Traveller. Prices return to normal post kickstarter--and its not signed and numbered copies.

Next time we will definitely be better organized on bonus levels--we just had no idea.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:11 pm 

tsathogga wrote:Next time we will definitely be better organized on bonus levels--we just had no idea.

To illustrate this, I won the pool for how much the Kickstarter would be. I put my money on $75,000 and came closest.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:57 pm 

tsathogga wrote:The book is about 600 pages--52 dungeon levels with about 120 maps. There is a town (Zelkor's Ferry), an evil temple and subdungeon (ribbett), a bunch of wilderness areas, another subdungeon with 6 levels for lower level PCs. Book will be textbook bound, stitched, and with a faux leather cover and silk bookmark.

The rest of the schwag includes a battle mat, a DM screen, a map book, a bestiary, 3 extra bonus modules, a players guide and all the fluffy stuff like dice/bags/minis/shirts/buttons etc.  Many don't care about the bonus stuff--but lots of people specifically asked for these items, so we added them.

Sorry if I confused you Jon and Ash--I do get that its a bit confusing, but we have been scrambling to keep up with the pledge levels. The discounted other books are intended to 1) reduce warehouse space and b) catch up to Traveller. Prices return to normal post kickstarter--and its not signed and numbered copies.

Next time we will definitely be better organized on bonus levels--we just had no idea.

What pledge level includes the battlemap, DM screen, map book bestiary, 3 bonus modules, and player's guide? I am interested in those items.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:17 am 

tsathogga wrote:
Sorry if I confused you Jon and Ash--I do get that its a bit confusing, but we have been scrambling to keep up with the pledge levels.

I'm not confused by the pledge levels, you've just made me feel that this is no longer about product, which I still expect to be great.

When I walk into a supermarket, I am manipulated by price offers, product placement, deals etc.

My Mobile Phone company would have me leave Pay-as-you-go to one of a seemingly infinite number of tariff options, not really knowing which would be cheaper.

An Energy Supplier tries to sell me a new product that makes my energy much cheaper as long as I use more.

I try not to fall for any of the above.  I don't like feeling manipulated.  Yes I'm probably paying more than I could for my groceries, mobile and Energy.  This Kickstarter has made me feel manipulated in a similar way.  I like the idea of the product (a lot), but I don't want to now get involved.

My local record shop gives me a nice comfy sofa, occasional cup of coffee, excellent advice and plays me music so I know what I might be buying.  He has a price that is a little higher than Amazon, it doesn't change and I'm happy to pay a little more to help him stay in business while he offers me great service.  Every now and again he gives me some promotional products from the record companies, yes because I spend money in his shop, but not because he is trying to get me to buy more, I buy 1 record maximum every time I visit and that doesn't change (ok I admit, I'm drawn in by Record Store Day once a year, that's my exception).  

John's Appendix N makes me feel like I'm buying from my record shop, I want to support that too.

I can accept you don't mean to make your potential customers feel this way, and I don't really believe you are in any way like Amazon, Tesco, Orange or many other corporations.  Just my thoughts on this experience.  Who knows, I may still find myself tempted.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:53 am 

Maybe you just have to look at this whole thing in a different way. I went in wanting the book. So I pledged $100. The rest of the stuff isn't "manipulating" me at all. I paid for what I wanted and whatever else I get for free, is bonus. Getting free things is just good, at least how I see it. Or, maybe you mean the way they added things to higher priced pledges to get you to pledge more? Well, shouldn't you get more things for a higher pledge? That just seems to make sense, not be manipulation.

Either way, I don't own a 600 page D&D themed book so this will look amazing on my shelf. :)

Zen

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:22 am 

Absolutely, this is just an emotional thing and I don't like the way it's made me feel about supporting my hobby.
And I will no doubt regret not having a copy

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:36 am 

aia wrote:
tsathogga wrote:Take a look at the FAQ--essentially, the main deal is a big book with several supporting books (bestiary, players guide, map book, characters (pregens) book, 3 bonus modules (one unique to the kickstarter), a DM screen and a battle mat. The dice/buttons etc. are just fluff.

thanks i will have a look at the FAQ!

in the meanwhile, i'd really be happy if you could kindly provide us an update focusing on contents of the main item: the book (i am not really interested in miniature, t-shirt or other merchandising stuff... )

well, i am still looking for an update... i am not interested in gadgets or bonus stuff... i'd really like to hear about the status of the works of the book... that's what i am buying and honestly i am lost between updates of this and that and no mention about the main book...

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:13 am 

John, part of my withdrawal was as jon, but mainly I felt that whilst the product will be outstanding and I've always wanted RA in an AD&D playable form, the book will just be too big for use, as I've found with the Slumbering Tsar book, although the PDFs are perfect to print and use as required.

I'll certainly support FGG products, but I think I need to look at gaming rather than collecting options.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:21 am 

Jon and Ash--I will not allow you guys to not participate. I am sending you each copies of the book anyway:)

ps--no piling on now:)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:06 pm 

tsathogga wrote:Jon and Ash--I will not allow you guys to not participate. I am sending you each copies of the book anyway:)

Wow  8O

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:35 pm 

This is why I immunized myself to the marketing and advertising within our society decades ago :)

I notice, but it holds no way over what I do, get, or buy.

~Scathaigh~

jonjhargreaves wrote:
tsathogga wrote:
Sorry if I confused you Jon and Ash--I do get that its a bit confusing, but we have been scrambling to keep up with the pledge levels.

I'm not confused by the pledge levels, you've just made me feel that this is no longer about product, which I still expect to be great.

When I walk into a supermarket, I am manipulated by price offers, product placement, deals etc.

My Mobile Phone company would have me leave Pay-as-you-go to one of a seemingly infinite number of tariff options, not really knowing which would be cheaper.

An Energy Supplier tries to sell me a new product that makes my energy much cheaper as long as I use more.

I try not to fall for any of the above.  I don't like feeling manipulated.  Yes I'm probably paying more than I could for my groceries, mobile and Energy.  This Kickstarter has made me feel manipulated in a similar way.  I like the idea of the product (a lot), but I don't want to now get involved.

My local record shop gives me a nice comfy sofa, occasional cup of coffee, excellent advice and plays me music so I know what I might be buying.  He has a price that is a little higher than Amazon, it doesn't change and I'm happy to pay a little more to help him stay in business while he offers me great service.  Every now and again he gives me some promotional products from the record companies, yes because I spend money in his shop, but not because he is trying to get me to buy more, I buy 1 record maximum every time I visit and that doesn't change (ok I admit, I'm drawn in by Record Store Day once a year, that's my exception).  

John's Appendix N makes me feel like I'm buying from my record shop, I want to support that too.

I can accept you don't mean to make your potential customers feel this way, and I don't really believe you are in any way like Amazon, Tesco, Orange or many other corporations.  Just my thoughts on this experience.  Who knows, I may still find myself tempted.

~Scathaigh~
~Lord Nobody~

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:09 pm 

davidc wrote:
tsathogga wrote:Jon and Ash--I will not allow you guys to not participate. I am sending you each copies of the book anyway:)

Wow  8O

LOL No escape from the Frog God!   :D

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:29 pm 

Wow indeed. But in serious John, that's not necessary or fair to others, so thank you for the offer, but I couldn't accept that.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:57 pm 

I jumped in at the hardcopy option ($100 is less than I'd pay for someone's ratty used copy) and didn't plan on changing it no matter what...and then came the sub option with additional levels.  I was considering that anyway once I read that it might happen after the kickstarter but being able to lock it in at the lower price point now helped make that decision.  The other items weren't much of a temptation (can't see myself using Tsar no matter how cool it might be to read (and kill small/medium things with)) but I can see some folks getting a little unhappy about the potential to score a book like Tsar for a lower price point than is available elsewhere.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the upcoming purchase (amount and material), the additional swag will be nice but it nothing to do with my purchase.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:38 pm 

I'm in at $100+25 for Black Monastery..was hoping to go bigger, but the money just isn't there as I was hoping for.  If the option isn't there for a Tshirt, dice, other modules then I'd be interested in buying them off someone (Hope to have more money saved when this book is shipped).

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:04 am 

does anyone want to split a $650 level they have?

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

PreviousNext