SJG OGRE Kickstarter almost finished
Author

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:23 am 

There are only 8 or 9 days left to sign up for this. I was very interested when I first saw it, but while reading throught the faq it looks like these will be available to game stores after the end of the kickstarter sign in. There are a ton of goals set and reached since this has now crossed $350K in funding level, but it is fairly unclear if these bonuses will be available in the retailer version. It is also a little murky at what level someone buying into the kickstarter will receive some of the bonuses. $100 seems to get boxed set of the game delivered to you in the USA, $195 seems to get you two sets, and there are all kinds of funding levels for international customers as well.

At this point my feeling is that this will be an incredible set. Domestic shipping alone will take a sizable chunk out of the $100 funding level. I don't see that many retailers left in business let alone ones that are going to stock this game too heavily. I'd say that if anyone has $100 to toss into a kickstarter (or a couple of hundred for an international buyer) then this is the one to fund.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:07 am 

I think a lot of the "extras" will only be for the kickstarter.. some anyway.. I'm not watching it too closely.. its not a RPG..
With somethink like this it will be taking customers away from the local store.. but then how many would have stocked it? and how many people could order it etc? Its certainly a winner for SJG..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:14 am 

beasterbrook wrote:I think a lot of the "extras" will only be for the kickstarter.. some anyway.. I'm not watching it too closely.. its not a RPG..
With somethink like this it will be taking customers away from the local store.. but then how many would have stocked it? and how many people could order it etc? Its certainly a winner for SJG..

Brette:)

Well, you can always play the OGRE. It has done amazingly well for SJG. I think the boxed set weight is coming in at around 13 or 14 lbs right now and it is going to be a big box. They are limiting 3 per person and the total is something less than $100 per set. You are suppossed to be able to sweeten your set with extras at some point. Extra maps, extra counter sheets, that sort of thing. I don't know if it will be collectable. I'm sure there will be some people who miss out who will want a copy and there are some that are going to have some unique bells and whistles.

I do like the idea that the lickstarter version will give you something that you won't just be able to buy after the kickstarter program is over. It seems pointless to shell out your money early (and OGRE isn't suppossed to be ready till sometime this Nov) for something you can just go and buy after it has been produced.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:03 pm 

I am in on this. I think it is one of the better kickstarter projects.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:55 pm 

Well I don't know if Doug is getting one, but if he isn't someone needs to bring their copy to NTRPG con next year!  We'll give you a table to set this baby up (that is, if anyone is actually getting one to "play" with, instead of placing it in to their closet, unopened!)

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:42 pm 

I kicked $150 toward this, but will probably wind up pledging more to get another copy and the swag. As of this writing it's up to 557k and the trending website kicktraq.com/projects/847271320/ogre-de ... s-edition/ shows at trend to finish just under 700k.

I am pretty jazzed about the game, plus I am shocked by the sheer immensity of the product. This really is a great time to be a gamer. Now I just need more opponents.

Zach

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:02 pm 

If OGRE isn't your thing, but Car Wars is, then here is some text from my latest update on the OGRE Kickstarter.
What if you are a Car Wars fan who doesn't want a big Ogre game? Then do not buy the big Ogre game! We built this company by selling you what you DO want. Okay?

Instead. . .

(1) We're going to do a multicolored Car Wars shirt, based on the art from the very first edition of the game. Here's a nice scan from BGG. Of course, this is a Kickstarter exclusive.

It will say "I Made Steve Jackson Work On Car Wars." Today, Sunday, you have to see it in your head, because the art isn't finished. It's a new $23 support level, or $30 internationally, or you can add it as an extra to another level for $23.

(2) What will help the very most, if you are a Car Wars fan, is to spread the word! We have less than a week to go. Tell your friends about this Ogre project. Work that social media! If you reach fans of Car Wars, they can join in telling us to do that project. If they like Ogre, they can support us and get a good game, and their support will help this project . . . which will also prove to us that we HAVE to do Car Wars.

I've never played Car Wars, but I figured someone around here might be interested.

Zach

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:33 am 

OGRE Kickstarter Warning From SJG!

I just received update #26 of the OGRE kickstarter program and it had this alarming message;

BEWARE! If you do not select a reward level when managing your pledge, you may find yourself with the "No Reward" option selected. That means you will not get anything at all. No game. No swag. Not even your name on the box. Please be sure to select the reward level that you want.

Anyone who has increased their pledge should double-check if they are going to actually receive anything. It seems to me that anyone who has pledged at all better make sure that they haven't just donated their money to SJG. (I just double-checked myself).

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:32 pm 

And it's over to the tune of $923,680. I don't know a lot about Steve Jackson, bu I am sure those numbers would not have been possible without an immense amount of goodwill that he generated over the years.

I'll have to give a review in November when mine shows up.

Zach