Call of Cthulhu
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:10 pm 

I thought I saw one at one point, does someone have a Call of Cthulhu primer for collecting?  I recall seeing most of this stuff sitting on local gamestore shelves when it was being released and most of us turned our noses up at it (I assume thats why some of the same stuff I see going for $500+ on ebay).  I'm also an avid fan of the actual fiction written for the genre.  I'm certainly not interested in pursuing it to the nth degree like some of my other obsessions, but I'd like to pick up a boxed set or rulebook to check out for light reading and maybe a couple mid-level items for the bookshelf.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:33 pm 

This should help, stylean:  viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6883

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:24 pm 

For the core rules, I recommend the 3E Games Workshop hardcover.  One of the best RPG books ever.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:20 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:For the core rules, I recommend the 3E Games Workshop hardcover.  One of the best RPG books ever.

The best cover for CoC, ever! The 4th French edition used the same amazing cover art.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:33 pm 

Perfect, thanks!

Side question, how rare is the HC edition you are recommending?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:26 pm 

Not rare. Perhaps uncommon but not HTF.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:01 am 

Despite the wishful thinking of $100+ listings, you should be able to find a nice copy for $25 or less.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:29 am 

If you are just looking for a reading copy try something like this 4th edition printing.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDet ... D0%26y%3D0

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:16 am 

jasonw1239 wrote:If you are just looking for a reading copy try something like this 4th edition printing.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDet ... D0%26y%3D0

Any differences in source material for a campaign (I am not interested in the game mechanics) between 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th printing?

5th seems to be 240 pages, while 6th is 320 pages. Does sixth include more collected information on the Cthulhu Mythos?

Or, by any chance, is there something like a compiled encyclopedia online about the Cthulhu Mythos? I've been compiling a Lovecraft Thesaurus of commonly used words and phrases from his work, but I am also looking for a general sourcebook and thought the RPG might be a good start.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:59 am 

How about this?   http://www.esp-books.com/shop/index.php ... cts_id=283

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:10 am 

If that is the latest iteration of Dan Harms' Encyclopedia Cthulhiana (which I think it might be), then it is a real treasure trove - I have a copy - v. highly recommended. :D

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:20 am 

TheHistorian wrote:How about this?   http://www.esp-books.com/shop/index.php ... cts_id=283

Excellent! It is quite a bit cheaper buying it from ebay though.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:38 am 

Another source of reading copies is the online Chaosium store section called Boo-Boo Books that might have slight cosmetic damage to a cover or spine.
I have purchased many items from this section over the years and at half price it is a deal.
I usually wait until they have several items, both new and "Boo-Boo" that I want and then put in a large enough order to get the free shipping.

http://catalog.chaosium.com/index.php?cPath=28

Secrets of Tibet

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:25 pm 

jasonw1239 wrote:Another source of reading copies is the online Chaosium store section called Boo-Boo Books that might have slight cosmetic damage to a cover or spine.
I have purchased many items from this section over the years and at half price it is a deal.
I usually wait until they have several items, both new and "Boo-Boo" that I want and then put in a large enough order to get the free shipping.

Holy ()*@#%@#%@#%, I had no idea this site existed (call me stupid).  I think you just cost me like $500.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:39 pm 

stylean wrote:
jasonw1239 wrote:Another source of reading copies is the online Chaosium store section called Boo-Boo Books that might have slight cosmetic damage to a cover or spine.

Holy ()*@#%@#%@#%, I had no idea this site existed (call me stupid).  I think you just cost me like $500.

Also check out Amazon's kindle store. A lot of the stories in these books are free (not these particular collections) but Machen, Dunsany, etc... and the Lovecraft collection is very cheap.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:15 am 

stylean wrote:Holy ()*@#%@#%@#%, I had no idea this site existed (call me stupid).  I think you just cost me like $500.

Excellent! I am hoping that any increased cash flow will improve the chances of getting the book that I submitted to them in January into the editing and artwork stage.  :)

Secrets of Tibet