Beggars Review: East Mark Gazetteer: CZ9 Folio
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:18 am 

This is less a review than a short description of contents with pictures.

Pictures and a brief description with a complete contents list for Troll Lords Games Castles and Crusades Product:
The East Mark Gazetteer: CZ9
This product is in folio format and originally came SWed.

Five Color Maps (Three Maps are 1-sided and One Map is two sided) all 11" x 17" Single fold
1 & 2) Castle Zagyg Wilderness map (2 sided) Players Map and Castle Keepers Map.
This map locates the great Castle Zagyg, The Dark Chateau (Used by the mad wizard as his home while the Castle was being built), and several other areas of interest near the castle, including several wilderness encounters detailed in the Mouth of Madness book included in this set.
3) Map of the East Mark areas, including Yggsburgh Town to the Southwest and Castle Zagyg to the middle North
4) Map of Yggsburgh Town; with all the districts shown and a total of 24 place names listed to the side.
5) Map of a small portion of Castle Zagyg; The Mouths of Madness.

Gazetteer of East Mark: CZ9
24 numbered pages; staple bound Gazetteer.
This book is exactly what it sounds like.

The Mouths of Madness CZ9
48 numbered pages; staple bound adventure book.
Details given for the areas inside the Mouths of Madness
This book is a modified version (different cover) of Book I: Mouths of Madness, which is a part of the Box Set Castle Zagyg Volume II: The Upper Works.

Front and rear cover of the Folio: This originally came in SW from TLG
ImageImage

Contents list on back cover of Folio, and contents pictured
ImageImage

Books: Gazetteer (24 pages) and Mouths of Madness (48 pages) which (with a different cover) was also part of the Box Set Castle Zagyg: Upper Works
ImageImage

Maps:
Double sided Wilderness Maps around Castle Zagyg: First CKs Map, then Players Map
ImageImage

East Mark Map and Town of Yggsburgh Map
ImageImage

Mouths of Madness Map, which was also part of the Box Set Castle Zagyg: Upper Works

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:30 pm 

Are you sure about that World Of Erde map?  I know I bought my EMG new, and it didn't include it.  I can't find a reference to the EMG containing five maps anywhere else either.  It also seems weird because I didn't think the Yggsburgh material was related to Erde, but I could be misremembering.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:08 pm 

Nope, my mistake... you are right, it does not belong at all.

Hmmm... My Codex of Erde books all have the maps, so this Map probably came into my possession from an individual purchase from TLG as a separate piece.
I probably added the map to the folio set while using it for playing since it was the basis for my variant setting.
We adventured through a lot of the East Mark for a long while, going through several C&C module adventures, staging inside the Town of Yggsburgh, the Dark Chateau and several wilderness encounters.

I have another SWed EMG Folio, but I wont be opening it up to check.

Another edit:
The two sided Wilderness Map should also be considered an important part of the Mouths of Madness Adventure Book, since the details for the wilderness encounters on the CKs copy side of that 2-sided map are listed in the Adventure Book.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:12 pm 

Well Troll Lord must have made a number of changes to what went into The East Mark Gazetteer over the years.  The maps I have in mine are a bit different than what you have.  Of course I bought mine at Gen Con in 2007 and it didnt come shrinkwrapped.

The Yggsburgh map I have is crap compared to the one that came with yours.  And neither of the wilderness maps are double sided.  And even though Gary was at the Troll Lord's booth when I bought it, it wasnt pre-signed or numbered as Mike mentioned that his was in another thread.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:39 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Well Troll Lord must have made a number of changes to what went into The East Mark Gazetteer over the years.  The maps I have in mine are a bit different than what you have.  Of course I bought mine at Gen Con in 2007 and it didnt come shrinkwrapped.

The Yggsburgh map I have is crap compared to the one that came with yours.  And neither of the wilderness maps are double sided.  And even though Gary was at the Troll Lord's booth when I bought it, it wasnt pre-signed or numbered as Mike mentioned that his was in another thread.

Just a note, I didn't get this at the con we went to in 2007, King. This is something I picked up on Dragonsfoot a few years back when a guy sold s Castle Zagyg box set and various other items for about $150.  Included was this signed and numbered Gazetter along with other Yggsburgh items.  I never asked the guy where he got it, maybe TLG sold all the signed and numbered copies before we got there?

Mine looks the same as King's except the Yggsburgh town map is not the brightly colored version but the same version as the maps in Gnat's example. King, that Yggsburgh city map looks like the one that came with the hardcover book instead of the one Gnat and I have.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:59 pm 

Badmike wrote:King, that Yggsburgh city map looks like the one that came with the hardcover book instead of the one Gnat and I have.

Mike B.

The Yggsburgh Campaign Setting book?  Yeah, the map bound in to that one is a pretty good size 8 panel, two sided map with the Free City on one side and a Darlene style area map on the other.  The city map is similar to the one I mentioned above.  IIRC someone here complained considerably about how bad the original city map is when they released the book.  Wish it was still possible to purchase the newer style maps.  :(

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:08 pm 

Back to the bookshelf... again...  My maps match what Gnat has.

You have something weird, King.  The only place I've seen that Yggsburgh map is in a file I have noted as CZPDF2, one of the pdf only releases (the version in the Yggsburgh hardcover differs).  Your other maps seem to have differences too.  Neat!

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:35 pm 

I'll start the bidding at $250.  Who wants it???  :lol:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:03 pm 

I have a numbered and unnumbered East Mark Gazetteer.  In the numbered Gaz, the Wilderness map is double sided as Gnat described (Player Map on one side, Castle Keeper on the other) resulting in 4 map sheets (but 5 maps total).  The unnumbered Gaz came with Player and CK maps on separate single sided sheets resulting in 5 separate map sheets.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:29 pm 

There are at least 3 different prints of East Mark Gazetteer.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:16 pm 

Do you have details of the differences, Mark?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:20 am 

I have some details posted here but would have to dig them out to do a more thorough look through them for differences in the maps, etc.  I don't think I have open copies of all 3.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:31 pm 

BTW, I just sold the signed Eastmark copy I had today for $250 to a member who wishes to remain anonymous.  Although I think this is worth more, the top cover of the gazetteer was bent as was the corners, and the person is buying it not to resell but to keep, so I think under those circumstances the price was fair.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:34 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
[ Image ]

The Yggsburgh map I have is crap compared to the one that came with yours.

That version of the Yggsburgh map caused me to flare up on these forums and to contact the Troll Lords directly.  That was the sorriest excuse for a gygaxian map ever published.

The color map of Yggsburgh was a direct response to complaints by gamers (I suspect).

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:16 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:Hmmm... My Codex of Erde books all have the maps, so this Map probably came into my possession from an individual purchase from TLG as a separate piece.

The Erde Map was available as a separate item by itself.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:31 pm 

At the considerable risk (in fact, certitude) of sounding like a pedant, isn't that a bit of a glaring error (possibly typographic), viz. it is "Iacta alea est" (My Latin is hazy, but I think you may be able to also go "Alea Iacta est") ??  (bearing in mind that it was only reported many years later and thus may be apocryphal)

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:19 am 

red_bus wrote:At the considerable risk (in fact, certitude) of sounding like a pedant, isn't that a bit of a glaring error (possibly typographic), viz. it is "Iacta alea est" (My Latin is hazy, but I think you may be able to also go "Alea Iacta est") ??  (bearing in mind that it was only reported many years later and thus may be apocryphal)

An internet search reveals that both forms of the saying may be correct....which is to say that they may also be incorrect.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:35 am 

Cheers, but there is a misspelling on the back of the box (either way). Massive typo or is my Latin off?

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Next