Frog God Games April 20 Update
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:17 am 

Guy Fullerton wrote:Apparently I can't shut up, so one last way of looking at it:

In my current AD&D campaign, I've used Tomb of the Iron God (for S&W), Orange B3 (B/X), Grinding Gear (generic D&D module scaled to about B/X or so), Dark Chateau (C&C), parts of Demonspore (S&W), and Barrowmaze (LL, so B/X) with no problem. I don't really convert; I just use them as-is, and it's worked just fine.

That's pretty much how I see it. S&W, LL, C&C are all sufficiently AD&D that it's easy to use the products without any real issues. Works for me....

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:06 pm 

ashmire13 wrote:An AD&D/S&W version of Tsar would really be something!

Yes, I would buy that.  Not interested in the Pathfinder version.

Frog God Games should really do things properly IMO and publish its stuff as OSRIC versions.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:29 pm 

ashmire13 wrote:
Guy Fullerton wrote:Apparently I can't shut up, so one last way of looking at it:

In my current AD&D campaign, I've used Tomb of the Iron God (for S&W), Orange B3 (B/X), Grinding Gear (generic D&D module scaled to about B/X or so), Dark Chateau (C&C), parts of Demonspore (S&W), and Barrowmaze (LL, so B/X) with no problem. I don't really convert; I just use them as-is, and it's worked just fine.

That's pretty much how I see it. S&W, LL, C&C are all sufficiently AD&D that it's easy to use the products without any real issues. Works for me....

I'm not sure about LL having never played or seen the rules. I understand that Dwimmermount will be LL (or am I mistaken). Has C&C changed? The 1st edition of it seemed pretty much a duplicate of the 1e AD&D PHB but without the whimsy.

So far with S&W it isn't as much about conversion as it is about expanded the game information covered. Again my experience is primarilly in using the S&W version of Tome.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:59 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:
ashmire13 wrote:

I'm not sure about LL having never played or seen the rules. I understand that Dwimmermount will be LL (or am I mistaken). Has C&C changed? The 1st edition of it seemed pretty much a duplicate of the 1e AD&D PHB but without the whimsy.

So far with S&W it isn't as much about conversion as it is about expanded the game information covered. Again my experience is primarilly in using the S&W version of Tome.

Labyrinth Lord is just B/X D&D with a few other bits and pieces thrown in.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:37 pm 

I've found myself picking up numerous free/cheap PDFs via RPG or Drivethru websites recently, for S&W, LL, C&C and having sufficient information and compatibility to be able to read it as though it'd play in a campaign styled on AD&D without much drama.

But yes, I agree with Sardan, if FGG put out a S&W Tsar or other major rework item, I'd be in!

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:46 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:Has C&C changed? The 1st edition of it seemed pretty much a duplicate of the 1e AD&D PHB but without the whimsy.

C&C hasn't changed materially for purposes of this particular discussion.

But compared to AD&D, C&C has always had some fundamental systemic differences that promote a slightly different play style: Saving throw balance, the SIEGE engine, and the default xp system not being primarily based on treasure acquisition.

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Previous