Frog God Games April 20 Update
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:37 am 

Or another way to look at it:

If you compared a typical 5th-level AD&D fighter to a typical 5th-level S&W Core/Complete fighter, and assuming equal equipment, the AD&D fighter would be a little bit better overall. Depending on stats, we're talking 5-10 more hp on average, AC maybe 1 point better, and dealing 1-2 more damage per hit. Roughly speaking, that AD&D fighter might be about one level's worth better than the S&W fighter.

The same is true for the other classes, except maybe the magic-user. Though the AD&D magic user would have implicit access to a broader range of spells to have gained.

So in practice, it's mostly a matter of interpreting the recommended level ranges on S&W modules properly. (Which you're probably already used to, because you're already doing that based on the number of players you have in your group, the amount of magic items they have, etc.) If an S&W module is recommended for levels 7-9, perhaps AD&D characters of levels 6-8 would be sufficient (roughly speaking).

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:44 am 

Apparently I can't shut up, so one last way of looking at it:

In my current AD&D campaign, I've used Tomb of the Iron God (for S&W), Orange B3 (B/X), Grinding Gear (generic D&D module scaled to about B/X or so), Dark Chateau (C&C), parts of Demonspore (S&W), and Barrowmaze (LL, so B/X) with no problem. I don't really convert; I just use them as-is, and it's worked just fine.

Guy Fullerton

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:17 am 

Guy Fullerton wrote:Apparently I can't shut up, so one last way of looking at it:

In my current AD&D campaign, I've used Tomb of the Iron God (for S&W), Orange B3 (B/X), Grinding Gear (generic D&D module scaled to about B/X or so), Dark Chateau (C&C), parts of Demonspore (S&W), and Barrowmaze (LL, so B/X) with no problem. I don't really convert; I just use them as-is, and it's worked just fine.

That's pretty much how I see it. S&W, LL, C&C are all sufficiently AD&D that it's easy to use the products without any real issues. Works for me....

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:06 pm 

ashmire13 wrote:An AD&D/S&W version of Tsar would really be something!

Yes, I would buy that.  Not interested in the Pathfinder version.

Frog God Games should really do things properly IMO and publish its stuff as OSRIC versions.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:29 pm 

ashmire13 wrote:
Guy Fullerton wrote:Apparently I can't shut up, so one last way of looking at it:

That's pretty much how I see it. S&W, LL, C&C are all sufficiently AD&D that it's easy to use the products without any real issues. Works for me....

I'm not sure about LL having never played or seen the rules. I understand that Dwimmermount will be LL (or am I mistaken). Has C&C changed? The 1st edition of it seemed pretty much a duplicate of the 1e AD&D PHB but without the whimsy.

So far with S&W it isn't as much about conversion as it is about expanded the game information covered. Again my experience is primarilly in using the S&W version of Tome.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:59 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:
ashmire13 wrote:

I'm not sure about LL having never played or seen the rules. I understand that Dwimmermount will be LL (or am I mistaken). Has C&C changed? The 1st edition of it seemed pretty much a duplicate of the 1e AD&D PHB but without the whimsy.

So far with S&W it isn't as much about conversion as it is about expanded the game information covered. Again my experience is primarilly in using the S&W version of Tome.

Labyrinth Lord is just B/X D&D with a few other bits and pieces thrown in.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:37 pm 

I've found myself picking up numerous free/cheap PDFs via RPG or Drivethru websites recently, for S&W, LL, C&C and having sufficient information and compatibility to be able to read it as though it'd play in a campaign styled on AD&D without much drama.

But yes, I agree with Sardan, if FGG put out a S&W Tsar or other major rework item, I'd be in!

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:46 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:Has C&C changed? The 1st edition of it seemed pretty much a duplicate of the 1e AD&D PHB but without the whimsy.

C&C hasn't changed materially for purposes of this particular discussion.

But compared to AD&D, C&C has always had some fundamental systemic differences that promote a slightly different play style: Saving throw balance, the SIEGE engine, and the default xp system not being primarily based on treasure acquisition.

Guy Fullerton

Previous